Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it does look good and i really like the rear suspension
i'm just hoping that the metal ring and pinion will
fit on to the ae cars.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

OK guys, I've been following this thread with interest but one fact remains. If you decide to build a shaft drive car nitro car, there's only two ways to do it. Either the motor will be on the left side of the car with the crank snout facing backwards or it will be on the right side with the crank snout facing forward. Any other design adds more bevel gears to the drivetrain & makes it less efficient. As an ASE Master Technician who has been working on real cars for over twenty years, there's only so many ways you can build them. OFNA has gone the same route that Associated did which was the way Tamaya did it back in 95 & use a single long shaft with a left side mounted engine because it is more efficent than the HPI design of a car with two almost equal length shafts with the trans in the middle. According to OFNA (I called them earlier today), the LD3 uses most of the same suspension components as the OB-4. If Mugen Seiki decides to build a shaft drive car, you can bet it will look similar to the NTC3/LD3, & it will probably have MTX-3 suspension components. The single long shaft is the most efficent design & better than belts IMHO. GO find any 25 1:1 scale front wheel drive cars & look under the front end. They will all have the same design front struts with two CV axles coming out of the transaxle. If OFNA gives the new car the same support that Associated does with thier NTC3 it should be competitive which means we will start seeing shaft drive cars from all the manufacturers & most will have the motor on the left side of the car (looking from the back). This is a good thing. I still plan on getting a NTC3 now to get into 1/10th touring because it is currently the best car currently in production. God, this is starting to sound like the old Ford/Chevy/Chrysler debate (anybody remember the the LS-7 454, 426 Hemi or a Boss 429? Those were the days & I miss em ). Lets see how this new car does on the track & let the chips fall where they may (or how big a dent my credit card has after I bounce off a few boards )

Bill
Old 01-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

GP40X - if it were merely the layout in question, I would agree with you - that was mostly what similarities between the Tamiya and the AE car. When I say that they are identical in most respects, I'm talking about far more - but I've already outlined pretty much all of that earlier.

Anyway, off to the races!
Old 02-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Default Ofna Ld3

Guys;

I saw one of these cars race at our local track last night (Revelation) and was very impressed. I think Ofna took a good design and improved on the short comings of the TC3. Who cares if it is a so-called "Copy". The LD3 is another good choice in Nitro TC's and just up's the playing field another notch. What I personally like about the LD3 is the beefed-up shock towers and the Gear diffs. I have several friends that have sold their TC3's just because the ball diffs were too hard to keep consistant.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

I also saw it last night at revelation. The shocks are transparent so you can see the inside of your shocks. He was running a semi pro car, he had the pro chassis, one-way, universals, and some other stuff. He was using the rtr upper deck and all the plastic parts but he told me that the pro will come with graphite stuff and should be out around june. The gear diff housing and gears are super small, i think the diameter of the diff housing is alittle bigger then a quarter.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:35 PM

I agree gear diffs would be nice because you can set em and forget em, but I think a couple friends who find them hard to keep consistent is not a good reason to ditch a car. building a good ball diff is not a no-brainer, and in that respect the NTC3 may be a little bit more pro car than it is taken as, example the impacts have a pro ball diff while the standard impulse get the gears. I found that on some of my gears I had to grind the center area, because is was way to tight against the outdrive. Come to think of it most of the NTC3 complaints are not really problems, just people who don't realize that hitting things with a nitro car is not like hitting stuff with an electric, they should try tapping a curb with their real car and seeing what happens. "I only hit it a little"
Old 02-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default friends that have sold their TC3's

OB42TC3;

These "Friends" of mine are racers with several to many years of experience, race 3-4 times a month and not little "CHILDREN" playing with their toys in the street.
No where did I state complaints about breakage on the TC3 (though still an issue). The SOLE reason for getting away from the TC3 was stated as being inconsistencies in the handling because of the balls diffs.
Each one (4) has gone back to a belt driven/gear diff car. I consider this to be a small example. but if you multiply by all of the racers out there, it is a significant number.
To be fair, I have just as many Friends that continue to Race with their TC3's and seem to be very happy with the car. I ALSO have one Friend who buys the newest, latest, greatest everytime something new comes out.
Anyways, after seeing the LD3 in action and up close, I was impressed, but we shall see how it holds up once in the hands of the general racing public.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It seems that everyone saw this car at Revelation Raceway on Saturday. Of course, I also saw it there too. From what I could tell, it was one beefed up NTC3. I raised the question of licensing and from what Angel (the driver) told me, no parts are interchangable. He did say though that both cars share the same bolt pattern, so theoretically, you can swap the front and rear assemblies from car to car.

The car would have had the race if it wasn't for some bad gearing. It would just get killed on the straightaway.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

if people have problems with ball diffs then just get some RTR ntc3 gear diffs the ball diffs should have been an option anyway i think that way they could have spent a little more money on the rest of the car now i am not bashing the ntc3 but when i found out that it was getting ball diffs thats when i picked the reflex just to have bumper problems

Last edited by nova racer; 02-02-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Gear Diffs?

if people have problems with ball diffs then just get some RTR ntc3 gear diffs
Nova Racer,

The NTC3 RTR is using Ball Diffs. I know of no gear diff available for the Nitro TC3. Maybe onle of the companies out there will make a "Gear Diff conversion" for the NTC3. It would require new front & rear diff cases.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Gear Diffs?

Originally posted by GP40X
Nova Racer,

The NTC3 RTR is using Ball Diffs. I know of no gear diff available for the Nitro TC3. Maybe onle of the companies out there will make a "Gear Diff conversion" for the NTC3. It would require new front & rear diff cases.
Chit i thought that i read that it had gear diffs may fault they were going to make them avaliable maybe it will come out when the team kit hits the stores
Old 02-04-2003, 03:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by OB42TC3
example the impacts have a pro ball diff while the standard impulse get the gears.
Used to be but not anymore.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: friends that have sold their TC3's

Originally posted by popsracer
OB42TC3;

These "Friends" of mine are racers with several to many years of experience, race 3-4 times a month and not little "CHILDREN" playing with their toys in the street.
No where did I state complaints about breakage on the TC3 (though still an issue). The SOLE reason for getting away from the TC3 was stated as being inconsistencies in the handling because of the balls diffs.
Each one (4) has gone back to a belt driven/gear diff car. I consider this to be a small example. but if you multiply by all of the racers out there, it is a significant number.
To be fair, I have just as many Friends that continue to Race with their TC3's and seem to be very happy with the car. I ALSO have one Friend who buys the newest, latest, greatest everytime something new comes out.
Anyways, after seeing the LD3 in action and up close, I was impressed, but we shall see how it holds up once in the hands of the general racing public.
if u ask me your friends sound like CHILDREN, if they cant keep a ball diff set right for a race
Old 02-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default if u ask me YOU sound like a CHILD!

Brett; Team Driver for Performance Hobbies

Hey,

I'm just passing along some information given to me by RACERS (not street bashers) who have had experience with the Car (TC3).
I personally avoided the TC3 just because of previous bad experiences with ball diffs. Now a Car comes along (LD3) with ALL of the design benefits of the TC3 and Gear Diffs and Beefier suspension parts. What's not to like about it?

Last edited by popsracer; 02-04-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by GP40X
OK guys, I've been following this thread with interest but one fact remains. If you decide to build a shaft drive car nitro car, there's only two ways to do it. Either the motor will be on the left side of the car with the crank snout facing backwards or it will be on the right side with the crank snout facing forward. Any other design adds more bevel gears to the drivetrain & makes it less efficient. As an ASE Master Technician who has been working on real cars for over twenty years, there's only so many ways you can build them. OFNA has gone the same route that Associated did which was the way Tamaya did it back in 95 & use a single long shaft with a left side mounted engine because it is more efficent than the HPI design of a car with two almost equal length shafts with the trans in the middle. According to OFNA (I called them earlier today), the LD3 uses most of the same suspension components as the OB-4. If Mugen Seiki decides to build a shaft drive car, you can bet it will look similar to the NTC3/LD3, & it will probably have MTX-3 suspension components. The single long shaft is the most efficent design & better than belts IMHO. GO find any 25 1:1 scale front wheel drive cars & look under the front end. They will all have the same design front struts with two CV axles coming out of the transaxle. If OFNA gives the new car the same support that Associated does with thier NTC3 it should be competitive which means we will start seeing shaft drive cars from all the manufacturers & most will have the motor on the left side of the car (looking from the back). This is a good thing. I still plan on getting a NTC3 now to get into 1/10th touring because it is currently the best car currently in production. God, this is starting to sound like the old Ford/Chevy/Chrysler debate (anybody remember the the LS-7 454, 426 Hemi or a Boss 429? Those were the days & I miss em ). Lets see how this new car does on the track & let the chips fall where they may (or how big a dent my credit card has after I bounce off a few boards )

Bill
Regardless of what other manufacturers bring out the likes of Serpent, Mugen and a couple of other makes will not bring out a shaft drive car as their leading product. If shaftdrive was the best way then why aren't all 1:8th cars using it. Simple. Belts can withstand the strains of the higher powered engines better and that is fact.

Shaft drive is just a cheap alternative to get more newcomers into the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.