High quality, low drag bearings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High quality, low drag bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 04:58 AM
Tech Adept

I'll check on the part number for the bearings, I have them in my yokomo mr4tc and they are stunning, it runs seriuosly free.

anyway back to the bearings issue. Ceramic bearings are superior to anything else, reason being you don't need to lubricate them so they won't attract dirt. Any fluid you putin th ebearing to lubricate it will attract dirt, its just a solid in a solute solution.

the only problem with ceramic is they are very expensive. the ones i have are for military aerospace usage so they have a high C rating (this is the bearing life), the higher the C the longer the bearing will last. I should also add, you'll save about 40g in weight if you go to SKF titanium bearings.

the ones i have are about £6 = $9ish each

AFAIK there are only 5 small bearing manufacturers in the world, they are Timken, SKF, 1 swiss company and some from the far east, everyone else gets their cage and balls from one of the 5 and builds it themselves. Hence if you purchase a bearing from one company the tolerances will be MUCH MUCH better.

just my 2 pence worth

sanj

Last edited by schumacher; 01-13-2003 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

here;s a link to SKF

http://products.skf.com/

sanj
Old 01-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

The ceramic bearings are very expensive which is why I only ordered a few. I mainly wanted to try the ceramic diff balls. I will be more the glad to post my results once they are put in
Old 01-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

pops - I got some of the Team Blue Star bearings from eBay and there worked fine. Still are working fine. Shipped pretty quickly also. Bought some front engine bearings from Boca. Excellent quality but shipping was kinda slow from FL to CA. Also tried Acer Racing ceramics in my TC3. Very nice, fast shipping. If I were to choose where I'd get more bearings, I'd go with Acer. Good prices too.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks guys

Guys;

Thanks for the feedback. I did look at the ceramic bearings, but a set would cost more than I paid for the whole car. I think I'm going to go with Teflon sealed bearings as they have less drag than metal shielded.
I'll check Acer first and see if they have what I want.

thanks again,
Old 01-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by boner
Where can I find AeroShell Fluid 12??
Trinity's 'Royal Oil' (part # 4051) is AeroShell 12. If you don't mind paying $5 for a 1 oz. bottle it's the easiest way to get it. I got tired of buying 2-3/season and found a guy on eBay (rcspeedwerks??) that sells a 4 oz refill bottle for $10. Then I went to Sears and got a trick metal precision oiler thats refillable. I've got one for bearing lube & one for bushing lube.

If you're interested in contacting rcspeedwerks PM me and I'll find his contact info.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Thanks guys

Originally posted by popsracer
I think I'm going to go with Teflon sealed bearings as they have less drag than metal shielded.
Metal shielded bearings have less drag then teflon sealed. Put a metal sheilded bearing on a pencil and put a teflon sealed and spin.. the Metal shielded spins twice as long. Probably the reason people take off the teflon seal to free up the car.

And they are cheaper $19 for a whole set. Buy two sets and change then out each week... works for me.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Default Metal Shielded vs Teflon Sealed

ChristopherKee;

I'll have to disagree with that one. I think you are confusing Rubber seals with Teflon Shields. Rubber seals actually contact the inner race to SEAL out any dirt/dust. SHIELDS have a small gap and do not actually contact the inner race of the bearing. Calling Bearings with Teflon seals is incorrect as they are actually Shields and do not contact the inner race. What I have found with Metal Shielded bearings is the bearing cage tends to rub on the shield and cause drag.

If I WANTED to change my bearings each week, then I would stick with the open bearings. With 4-5 Cars to Prep for each weekend of racing, I'd like to keep a happy medium between maintenance intervals.

Last edited by popsracer; 01-13-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default This is why Acer Bearings Rule :)

Okay, besides the point that they have high quality products, this is the second reason why I dig Acer products:
Attached Thumbnails High quality, low drag bearings-acerbearingbabe.jpg  
Old 01-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: This is why Acer Bearings Rule :)

Originally posted by rtypec
Okay, besides the point that they have high quality products, this is the second reason why I dig Acer products:
yes but then thinking about the kind of bearings you have in your car will make you drive into walls!

sanj
Old 01-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

metal shielded bearing do spin longer, or at least the AE, ACER, Losi as well as a few other brands that i have had that are teflon shielded dont spin as well, even with the inner shields removed and with the same prepping.

now who sells a whole set for $19? since i pay more for just the 4 bearings on the rear pod/axle of my 12th scale.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

schumacher i was wondering if the mini bearings are located in the product catalog ... if it is where is it and what kind of bearings should i look under there are TOOOOO many of them
Old 01-14-2003, 04:33 AM
Tech Adept

in replay to imataquito:

well there are a variety you could pick from, angular contact, double contact etc. yr budget will dictate which ones you go for, I usually go for ceramic, the mini bearings are for watches/small items if memory serves me correctly.

just to clarify, just because a bearing spins longer does not mean its a better bearing, usually it means that the lubricant has left the bearing and thats why it spins freely (there i sno drag caused by the turbulence form the lubricant moving round).

the best bearings are those which are silent, if there is no noise. There is very little wear. or as one of my companies slogans is:

"the most efficient movement, is a silent movement"

sanj
Old 01-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by stormperson
now who sells a whole set for $19? since i pay more for just the 4 bearings on the rear pod/axle of my 12th scale.

You can get a complete set for $19 on eBay (Hi~IQ) Bearings. They are metal shielded and work well.

If you want teflon "shielded" Acer has complete sets for $29. I like them as well. Both are worth the money.

Either way.. I just think it's insane to pay over $30 for a set. With the amount of hacking that goes on ... it would suck to have a $10 blown bearing OOOO
Old 01-14-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Pops-

5 cars!!!.. I would use the teflon too. I only have one. Alot of the reason for using the metal shielded is they are easy to quick clean. I just received my bearing set from Acer last night. They are nice.... the Tef shields do touch, BUT after I let them run in for a while they broke in and a small gap between the shield and the bearing formed. Now I understand what you were talking about. My AE tef bearings never broke in like this. You could always see the bearing rubbing against the shield/seal. Even without the grease they wouldn't spin more than 5 - 6 times before stopping.

$29 was the right price for me. I'll give tef another shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.