Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tools for Promoting Racing in your Area

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Most important tool would be bikini girls selling booze .

LOL, "Hooters Raceway"
Old 06-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

To promote our club over here in england we had a one day carpet grand prix with 1 or 2 sponsers to keep the costs down but the amount of people who turned up was amazing, and from them coming on that day and seeing our club isnt actually that bad they keep coming back to normal club meetings and keep fetching there friends too which has give the club a great boost in members
Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Tech Regular

Our club got booted from our spot from a complaint from one very persistant citizen. We got the run-around for months while the city was "deliberating" whether to let us run or not. We were in a strip mall parking lot on the busiest street in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We would get dozens of on-lookers every Saturday. Our LHS is in the strip mall, so when people would come ask where they could get these wonderful toys, we'd point to Rider's and tell them to check it out. If the track is close to your LHS, promoting the hobby isn't hard. The LHS would also do a "Hobby Expo" once a summer on a day we were racing. You've never seen a bigger crowd watching grown men play with toy cars!
Old 06-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racenut123
I don't think this thread is about the mechanics of actual racing. I am assuming Adrian is talking about Promotion of the hobby in general.Although learning as racer{newbie or veteran} can help you as a driver personally,it's not gonna promote racing and keep it going for the long term in any area if we don't show people how much fun this hobby can be.
Promoting the hobby is multi faceted. There is no one single quick fix. The key is get new racers to the track and keep them there for the long run. My wright up I posted was something I posted on my site because we have some new racers who are getting their azzes kicked right now and I am worried they will quit soon if they dont get better, soon! Its just one little thing I do.

When it comes to promoting the hobby, I might of been one of the biggest proponants of doing just that a very long time ago on another forum. And just about everyother RC forum there was. The idea really caught on, but I knew I wasnt smart enough to know all the answeres so I started a racing team and did my best to get everyone on the same page. I cant tell you how many members we ended up with exactly, but it was about 600 worldwide. And just to name drop, that includes guys like Matt Francis, Barry Baker etc. All in all, it was cool to have many big names sporting Biff Racing Team stickers on their cars or pit boxes, thats wasnt where the pulse that was needed to understand what people want. I spent at least 40 hours a week talking to as many folks as I could, absorbing as much info as possible.

After several years of doing this, we realized its a really tough nut to crack. I made the mistake of trying to solve all the worlds problems and that cant be done. Now we just focus on a local level doing what we have learned and once in awhile try to share what we have learned when this topic comes up.

Biff
Old 06-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This isnt much, but this is what I just posted in my local area's forum:

Hey guys and gals,

Have you got a friend or have been talking to a guy at a hobbyshop who wants to race, but doesnt want to make the investment on equipment till hes tried it? Or maybe you race with a guy nitro onroad or offroad or see him parking lot bashing or just says hed like to try racing?

Well, excuse time is OVER baby!! I will have a car built just for that come next Friday at the Gate. Its available for a pack in practice or maybe even a whole race night (assuming it lives the rigors of a newbies abuse). Radio, batteries, tires, its all there.

Please be sure that the person who is going to borrow this equipment understands that they are under no financial obligation should they accidentilly break the car, but by the same token, laughing hysterically while driving the car full speed into walls or abuse of the radio, etc. ummmm, well it wont be tolerated!!

Only cash out of hand I think will be for race entry fee and even thats waivable the first night.

This cars also available for Hobbytown outdoor races-though someone will have to volunteer to charge batteries and make darn sure the car, radio, batteries, etc make it back to me or the Gate!!!

Guys who work in hobbyshops who read this, please spread the word!!

Thanks,
Ray Huang
[email protected]
216-870-3263
Old 06-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Sorry up front...

But I'm still looking for someone that may provide me with a little direction (as in what are they looking for) that has been successful at getting the local community to put up the land and/or money to build a race facility. Even it if a rental for x number of years. I personally think that if a community spends money to put in baseball parks, tennis courts, etc they would be interested in this. After all it would bring people out to spend money in that community.

What I lack is who are the key people (titles) in a community. I do not want to waste the time of the mayor if the person responsible for parks is the right person.
What format would be a pealing to them?
etc....

I'm not looking for someone to right this proposal up, just what are the pitfalls and what are the keys to making this happen.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

rayhuang -

While I like your idea, a lot... I just could not stomach not getting a credit card number in case the person ran off with it or purposelly tore it up. Some people just do not seem to care in the world... You kindness may bit you, I really hope it does not and I really hope this works out. I'm looking forward to reading about how this did or did not work for you..

I had kinda of the same idea, but it was getting a class of Spec cars, they would rent, and the rent goes to the purchase of the car. The goal is not not make money on this one, but to get the person into racing so the LHS would have a new customer over time. I'm pretty sure that one of the MFGs would work with you.. Also I would use LiPo, so I'm not recharging batteries for 10 people on race day...

One of the tracks does this with personal transponders. It works out great...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

bvoltz,

I think this is what you were looking for.. if not... I am sure it may help someone.

I have successfully pitched 2 tracks in our local area. The first track is up and running,and the second one is in the process of being built. I have spent the good part of 5 years pitching local municipalities and county officials. Here are my observations.

Find a suitable location, do your homework and put togther a plan to use the location as a track. Some of the homework could be to find local towns that have to " One up" each other, giving them something the other does not have. Start a ROAR club, do a business plan and come up with a budget. I put togther a pitch package, and was shot down a bunch of times. I called everyone that I though could provide me with a place for our club to race.

I called.

Tri County DOT
County Parks and Rec
South Florida Sports Commission
Local Ampitheater
3 differerent Parks and Rec for local towns
a Local 1:1 raceway
South Florida Water Managment

Now out of those avenues, I had pleny of No's , plenty of blow off's and some good intrest. You have to have perserverance and patience with the people you deal with, as they are GIVING you something, whether or not it is for free or not, they are still looking at it as charity.

What ultimately worked for us, was getting an audience with the a town's Director of Parks and Recreation. Schedule a meeting, and pitch the plan to him/her. After that pitch, then I pitched to the Parks and Rec advisory board. It is important to note, do not take anythign they will offer, only take somethign that will work, do not set yourself up for failure.

What is VERY important, is have a unified front, and a professional attitude. If it were easy to get a proper place to race, then there would be a lot more out there. The ROAR insurance was a HUGE selling point too.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

TimPotter - Thanks this was it.. I'm looking to create a Non-for-profit club, not a LHS/Track, but Track only. I do not care if we build a build a shop for the LHS to rent out sell parts, but I'm on after having a national class place to race...

It is a bit like, why in the US do we end up with these chimps as presidents, becase when you pay peanuts you get chimps. The good people are making a hell of a lot more not running the country but running a business. This is my hobby, I enjoy it, I will support it, but business.. Not interested... I fear this would take the fun out of it....

So again, many thinks for this pointers...
Old 06-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

I would only suggest to stay as far away from residential areas as possible. If you don't, it will only lead to headaches in the future.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've gotten one park started in our town . At the time I got ours done we were lucky right off the bat. The city council person was interested and it sailed thru. But trying the second time was and is more difficult. The city gave us the royal run around.
But there are ways of talking to the city or county people. Having a ROAR club and telling them about ROAR insurance is a big plus.Show them some R/C magazines and invite them to a club race. Them them about how familys can do this and have some fun (together).Talk to them about the kinds of racing you want to try and promote. If it's an big race the hotels and resturants that they could visit in the city.
Although nitro is big when I did mine I said we would not race them ( the noise factor).That did later change at the park under someone else. I would show them an electric car to be safe ( they don't make any noise).Hopefully you'll approach them at the right time the first time. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone had any luck getting some free media coverage? A spot on the news would sure help let people know that RC racing exists and get them excited. Maybe do some sort of charity / fundraiser event and the media would be more likely to cover it?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Iceracer - I personally have not, but everyone here in Jackson, will tell you about the couple of times the news came out to do a sport report, I think they called it "Around our city" or "What going on in Jackson". But they claim it is pretty easy to do... Wait for a slow time in sports to have the out to do it.. Right now with the NBA on, this is would be a good time to get it lined up, but not shoot it...
Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Radio drops are not that expensive. This is a good option for Shop owned tracks to boost visitor traffic and shop exposure. Have a local radio station do a live feed from a regional or series race.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Or find out when the next live feed is on, and if you have a portable track set it up and do a run at that event...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.