Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC10GT Won't Start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Team Tekin

Default RC10GT Won't Start?

Aight fellas, I bought this RC10GT Plus RTR from a friend with about 5 tanks run through it. I took it to a Hobby Town and had a friend tune it and it ran fairly well for about 4 tanks and went downhill on me. I've re-tuned it, set it back to factory settings, purchased new fuel lines, tank and fuel (20%) and did some mods such as the MIP 4-n-1 clutch, Sullivan Tiger Drive Shaft Start, RPM arms and bulkhead and de-anodized the chassis. I've taken apart the whole engine and carb, cleaned them thoroughly with Nitro Clean and re-assembled, but still no luck. I had it running once last week, but it ran real shabby and when it died I couldn't re-start it for the life of me. I'm pretty new to nitro, but I have everything charged, new glow plug all that stuff and I never have any luck.
Is it possible that my engine is damaged bad or something? I'm totally frustrated with this truck right now, nitro isn't treating me too good on my first rig. Hopefully someone will be able to help me, I really want it to run.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

Ran it to lean and lost compression?
Check your glow plug?
Check your O-Rings in your carb?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Team Tekin

I never ran the temp above 250* and I put a brand new glow-plug in. Which O-rings are you referring to in the carb? The ones around the HSN or the big one that seals the carb and engine block? I can check them again, maybe the kid before me ran it to lean and it was just a matter of time before it died. What would I have to do if I lost compression? New piston/sleeve or new engine. I was looking at getting an OS .12 or something...

Thanks
Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

It would be nice if you knew how many gallons he ran threw it. Also instead of replacing the engine you can get it repinched
Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

if you turn the flywheel, how easy is it to turn over? there should be a noticable 'pinch' which requires a littel force to get past, if it just spins easy the whole way around, then it doens't have any compression, and you can either get a new piston and sleeve, or a new engine,

thats one thing i hate about buying a used engine, you never really know whats been done to it in the past, it could have sucked dirt before, been ran really lean, any number of things,

another thing, jut because you put a new plug in, doens't mean it is good, i had that this weekend, had a blown plug, so i take a brand new one out of the package, and it was toast too, so i would try a couple plugs, or test them on the ignitor out of the car,
Old 06-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

What kind of motor is it? I have an os cvr and I really like it. It performs really well for the price. It is also very reliable. How many gallons an engine has had through it dosnt mean as much. The main thing is how much compresion there is like what the previous posts have stated.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:23 PM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

The factory settings are usually waaaaay to rich after the engine is broken in. Sometimes to rich to even get the engine started the first time. So going back to those might be part of the problem.
If you are new to nitro, then your best bet is to find someone, somewhere that can help you get it tuned in. It will save you alot of frustration, and help make your first R/C experience MUCH more enjoyable....Otherwise you'll just get sick of it and say forget it...lol.
If the compression checks out good, then getting the settings right is crucial, as you know.
I seen this website a long time ago, and I went back and found it....pretty informative stuff for someone just starting in nitro...here it is...Hope this helps....Brad

http://www.rchobbies.org/engine-tuning.htm
Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Tech Adept

Just try to stick it out they both have there learning curves just like any other hobby or activity does but don't quit!! These vids are for the Savage 25 but give you a basic idea of tuning.
HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As
HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg