Wiki Posts
Search

trinity DPD digital pro discharger!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghuber
A fully charged IB3800 takes me like 1:15 minutes or so to discharge.

I have yet to try, but I estimate it would take about 20 minutes for a pack after racing.

Your unit must be different than mine then!! Mine takes abour 2-2.5 hours on a fully charged pack!! After a race it takes about an 1-1.5 hours.

EA
Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Your unit must be different than mine then!! Mine takes abour 2-2.5 hours on a fully charged pack!! After a race it takes about an 1-1.5 hours.

EA
Really? Using 30 amp pulse? That's strange... My def does not take that long. I discharged all my 3800s with it just this week, so I'm pretty certain they all took around the time I mentioned.

I have one more to do later today, I'll let you all know my result.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

4 cell 3800 pack, fully charged took about 1:20 for me. Didn't see any difference between the 5A and the 30A Dynapulse in time really, both were about the same.

Blake
Old 08-19-2006, 11:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

OK, so when would you want to use the External leads instead of using the in internal 30 amp pulse, or the 5 amp linear?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BSchorr
OK, so when would you want to use the External leads instead of using the in internal 30 amp pulse, or the 5 amp linear?
Stick packs.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
4 cell 3800 pack, fully charged took about 1:20 for me. Didn't see any difference between the 5A and the 30A Dynapulse in time really, both were about the same.

Blake

how can 5amp linear be over 1 hour?

if you 3800, has capacity of 4200, (even disregarding energy loss) if it is 5amp linear discharge it would discharge fully in around 45minute.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thought I would let you guys know a buddy of mine got one and I took it home today to try and add a jack to use a power supply, and determind that it can be done using a 3 volt regulator, but also found that this discharger is indeed powered by the battery pack while discharging, but if you do not have the AA's in you may not be able to use a cutoff below .35 and the AA's are used to retain previuos data.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

On average my 4200's discharge (30a pulse) from a full charge in right around an hour. I am trying to find out more information about this to find out if the dyna pulse discharge is the same and the old discharge.

The only thing i can think of is the per cell 30amp pulse's work a hell of a lot faster then dropping a full pack at once. I just hope its working in the correct way.

I gotta say they sure didnt think about the delay between information it gives. i understand why they didnt make the screen wait on the information, otherwise it wouldnt shut off. Just wish they made it wait a little longer.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rc1racer
Thought I would let you guys know a buddy of mine got one and I took it home today to try and add a jack to use a power supply, and determind that it can be done using a 3 volt regulator, but also found that this discharger is indeed powered by the battery pack while discharging, but if you do not have the AA's in you may not be able to use a cutoff below .35 and the AA's are used to retain previuos data.
The mod i am thinking about doing is adding some banana plug jacks on the side and removing the external wires. They just get in the way as i dont plan on using them any time soon. when your buddy takes his apart get him to snap some pictures with the thing apart i want to know if it has room.for the jacks.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Got something to float out there to everyone....One of the things I really wanted to use this unit for was single cell re-matching, so here is my idea...

From what I know now the unit requires the pack to be connected end to end, so I am thinking about using bridge wires where the battery bars would normally be so that the unit will see voltage across the entire 6 cells, but it would allow me to put in individual cells....Anyone see a problem with this, if this works we all could have a very nicely priced individual cell rematcher....
Old 08-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RoachRacing
On average my 4200's discharge (30a pulse) from a full charge in right around an hour. I am trying to find out more information about this to find out if the dyna pulse discharge is the same and the old discharge.

The only thing i can think of is the per cell 30amp pulse's work a hell of a lot faster then dropping a full pack at once. I just hope its working in the correct way.

I gotta say they sure didnt think about the delay between information it gives. i understand why they didnt make the screen wait on the information, otherwise it wouldnt shut off. Just wish they made it wait a little longer.
This discharge unit and the Muchmore unit do not do a real 30 amp discharge. They call it a pulse discharge because it cycles on and off. From what I can tell, there is no performance increase in the cells treated this way. My guess they probably do this because if they were to do a true 30 amp discharge a large heatsink and fan would needed, which would increase size of the unit.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports

EA
Eric,

I don't know why your unit takes 2-2.5 hours to discharge. I tested my unit with a brand new 3800 and it again took 1 hour 3 minutes to fully discharge the pack using the 30 amp pulse method.

Here are some more numbers to anyone who is interested. These come from a new high average 1.208 pack.

446 sec
7.42 vol
11.8 air
3776 mah
Old 08-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Gary I found a HUGE advantage in using the pulse discharge on the MM tray. All the packs that were stuck on the zero 30 trays and just felt horrible all came back to life after doing 3 or 4 cycles with the pulse discharge. Sure, the runtime was not the same as a new pack but the voltage and IR always got better.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Gary I found a HUGE advantage in using the pulse discharge on the MM tray. All the packs that were stuck on the zero 30 trays and just felt horrible all came back to life after doing 3 or 4 cycles with the pulse discharge. Sure, the runtime was not the same as a new pack but the voltage and IR always got better.
I have not found the same thing and I have a MM tray as well.

For example I cycled an old 3800 pack on a GFX and recorded the numbers. A few days later ran it through a pulse discharge and recorded those numbers. Lastly, ran the same pack through another cycle on the GFX and recorded the numbers.

In the end comparison between the two sets of GFX numbers, there was very little difference - runtime, voltage and internal resistance stayed almost, actually loosing a little on the 2nd GFX cycle (5 seconds less runtime, .02 IR, -.02 voltage.

I am not convinced these methods of discharging do much of anything... Still in my opinion, dischargers like the MM and the Trinity are invaluable tools! The ability to find a bad cell (low runtime, voltage or high AIR) is totally worth the cost of the unit.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Never use the Zero Thirty tray on IB cells, mainly the 4200SVH packs. I should not bring the 4200SHV's below .7 at any time.

Easiest way to do it is 30amp pulse it to .9, then when your ready to race, do the 5 amp linear tray mode to .7

If you dont have alot of time to 30 amp pulse, then 5 amp tray, then to let it totally cool, do the 30 amp pulse the day before to save ur self time on raceday the next day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.