Wiki Posts
Search

Best rubber tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
AdrianM, my Take Off tires dont fit on the front of the RDX with the new rims. The Speedmind rims that used to be used fit fine. Whats up with these new thicker rims. Any recommendations on getting them to fit on the RDX?
There were no dimensional changes from the ABS to Nylon rim. One of my good friends runs a RDX and the rims fit his just fine. He was pitting next to me when we raced yesterday. We ran CS27GL and RP30GL yesterday.

TRF415boy - 100% of the feedback on the new rims in testing was positive that they were faster on asphalt and carpet.

I think that there are 3 reasons for your results:

1. The new rims generate more grip. On lower grip tracks this will result in more steering. If you have marginal rear grip the increase in steering will push you car over the edge and you will be loose. A setting change will fix this.

2. You were comparing used tires to new tires. New tires have more steering and if you setup was appropriate for used tires new tires will make you car very edgy and possibly loose. A setting change will fix that.

3. You drive a Tamiya 415. This car has the most aggressive steering of any car on the market. It is designed to be free and fast on medium to high grip World level tracks (blown clean and sugar watered) and it is an excellent cars under those conditions. Very few of the tracks in the UK are like that. Getting the rear of you car planted will always be a little bit of a challenge at most of the track you run at.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
There were no dimensional changes from the ABS to Nylon rim. One of my good friends runs a RDX and the rims fit his just fine. He was pitting next to me when we raced yesterday. We ran CS27GL and RP30GL yesterday.
AdianM, can you ask your friend if he needed to make any changes to get it to work on the RDX? I posted the problem on the RDX thread and others confirmed the rims hit the A-Arms when turning. It is just very slight but enough to send your car spinning-out on a tight turn.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

TRF415boy - 100% of the feedback on the new rims in testing was positive that they were faster on asphalt and carpet.

I think that there are 3 reasons for your results:

1. The new rims generate more grip. On lower grip tracks this will result in more steering. If you have marginal rear grip the increase in steering will push you car over the edge and you will be loose. A setting change will fix this.

2. You were comparing used tires to new tires. New tires have more steering and if you setup was appropriate for used tires new tires will make you car very edgy and possibly loose. A setting change will fix that.

3. You drive a Tamiya 415. This car has the most aggressive steering of any car on the market. It is designed to be free and fast on medium to high grip World level tracks (blown clean and sugar watered) and it is an excellent cars under those conditions. Very few of the tracks in the UK are like that. Getting the rear of you car planted will always be a little bit of a challenge at most of the track you run at.

Hi Adrian,

What made you think I compared used tyres and new tyres ? Both sets were new, one with the old style rim the other with the new style rim.

I surely don't agree with what you're saying off the 415, it's the most stable car I've seen and tried so far, in fact if my 415 is loose on the rear I will check that there isn't something wrong with it, like a bent hinge pin.

And I don't agree with what you're saying about old vs new tyres either. CS22s in my experience loose rear end grip with runs, sometimes (depending on the track, conditions and insert used) to the point that a set of 22s that is more than 3 runs old is of no use apart from club racing where there isn't any need to be quick. And a set that is more than 5 runs old start to be good for drifting only.

As far as I'm concerned I don't like the new rims, I'd rather go back to the old ones, that provided a tyre that lasts more than 2 runs even if the new rims might be a bit faster (which i haven't found was the case).
Old 07-10-2006, 08:23 AM

AdrianM,

I'm going to sound stupid here but what is hybrid dip is that a brand of tire additive or a mix of something? I've been running a mix of RP30's and CS27's at our local outdoor asphalt track. We mainly use paragon here.

Thanks....Greg
Old 07-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

What made you think I compared used tyres and new tyres ? Both sets were new, one with the old style rim the other with the new style rim.

I thought old rims meant old tires too...sorry

I surely don't agree with what you're saying off the 415, it's the most stable car I've seen and tried so far, in fact if my 415 is loose on the rear I will check that there isn't something wrong with it, like a bent hinge pin.

This is not my opinion. I got that from guys you probably get your setup from

And I don't agree with what you're saying about old vs new tyres either. CS22s in my experience loose rear end grip with runs, sometimes (depending on the track, conditions and insert used) to the point that a set of 22s that is more than 3 runs old is of no use apart from club racing where there isn't any need to be quick. And a set that is more than 5 runs old start to be good for drifting only.

This is unusual as we find in the US worn tires cause a push to develop.

As far as I'm concerned I don't like the new rims, I'd rather go back to the old ones, that provided a tyre that lasts more than 2 runs even if the new rims might be a bit faster (which i haven't found was the case).

Whatever stock CML has of ABS CS/RP premount will be the last they get. All production is now on the nylon rims
Old 07-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Adrian,

I don't take my setups from anyone, I know what i'm talking about when it comes to setting a chassis up and the rear end of all my 415s were planted, can't say that off my friend's T2s or RDX for example.

As for used tyres, this is not only my opinion but the opinion of all the drivers around me, and some top uk drivers too, old CS22s make the rear end very loose. I'm not the only one not to like the new rims, nearly everyone I know is like me, being on CS or RP, in the UK we are all trying to get hold of tyres mounted on the old rims for nationals. This simply means that when we will not be able to find the new ones anymore, a lot more drivers will use sorex 32s or Vtecs for example.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

does anyone know which distributors carry the take-off and powers tires???

I work at a hobbyshop and i know i can get the sorex tires from horizon, but havnt found the others yet.

Any help is appreciated
Old 07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ovalnator.....Schumacher USA
Old 07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ovalnator
does anyone know which distributors carry the take-off and powers tires???

I work at a hobbyshop and i know i can get the sorex tires from horizon, but havnt found the others yet.

Any help is appreciated
Schumacher USA in Tampa FL.....Email AdrianM or call them for more info.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Tire life - CS27

Stock or 19T : 6-10 runs before falling off
Open Mod: 4-6 runs

Does this apply to asphalt or carpet or both. I know its just ball park, I am just trying to drum up interest for a rubber/carpet class at my local track and could use some help convincing others. THX
Old 07-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hi guys we use sorex 40r is their any tires that is better to use and much grip than sorex 40?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Adrian or any rubber gurus here.

I race in Asia and the temperature we are getting here is now ridiculously high. During a normal club race day, the temperature is normally around 36-38 degrees celcius as well as very humid.

I race the 23T class on preped outdoor ashphalt track. I have been using Sorex 36Rs and have good results. However I wish to investigate more into tyre to give me better lap times especially cornering speeds.

I prep the tyre after everyrun, I use the paragon FX traction compound, then I bake the tyres using tyrewarmer set at 60Degrees Celcius for around 20-30 minutes.

What I want to know is the proper steps to do it. Should I heat up the tyres for a brief period before putting on the compound? How do you tell if you have over-warmed the tyres?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Andrew - In carpet CS27's last WAAAYYY longer. They can last a whole winter season if you use a mild traction compound like Corally Jack the Gripper or TQ compounds.

RMF - Try Sorex 36R or Take Off RP36 tires in the heat. RP30's if its cooler.

DORIFT - Try Take Off RP36's. They are fast and last a long time. Their 2nd run seems to be the fastest. RP tires really like Hybrid Dip traction compound.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Li-Po . . .Check
Brushless . . .Check
Rubber on Carpet . . .check

Sounds like low maintenance/high fun racing to me!!!
No brushes, tire truers, extra motors, lathes, extra batteries, or dischargers. woohoo!!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Andrew - In carpet CS27's last WAAAYYY longer. They can last a whole winter season if you use a mild traction compound like Corally Jack the Gripper or TQ compounds.

RMF - Try Sorex 36R or Take Off RP36 tires in the heat. RP30's if its cooler.

DORIFT - Try Take Off RP36's. They are fast and last a long time. Their 2nd run seems to be the fastest. RP tires really like Hybrid Dip traction compound.
AdrianM Thanks for the info.. will give TakeOff RP36s a go. The problem is, I don't think we have distributors here. Is there anywhere I can source some? Also, where can I get the Hybrid Dip from?? Thanks again for all the help, I am a big fan of Sorex's but that doesn't stop me from trying new tyres! Cheers! PS, will be racing some indoor carpet venues as well, any good tyres you can suggest me? The carpet is the same carpet used for the TCS which I used the Tamiya A Tyre. Haven't tried Sorex 24s yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.