Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Durometer for Foam Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

fraz:
Would that be the type SL model they list on PTC's web page?
Old 01-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Default MaxMod...

I bought TC and Serpent Impact adapters for my truer about a year or so ago. I don't think they were selling new truers anymore, and I'm not sure about the durometer either; however, if you need parts and/or adapters for your truer, they might still be able to help you out. (626)359-7737 is the last number that I had for them. You'll probably have to leave a message for them and they'll get back to you.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fraz
Boomer,

It is not a C shore scale that is used for our foam tires.
Sorry, I checked my notes - WE refer to them in O or OO scales - the supplier that Jaco gets his tires from refers to the exact sheet in C scale only. It was strange. Sorry about that. I will try to be more accurate from now on.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Hmm, that is weird. But then again, with the exception of the newer Nitro Shoes, Jaco uses the color coding system so it's hard to tell what the heck they are doing.

Turn: Yeah, I have never been able to reach anybody at that number.<shrug>

Lowrance: I wouldn't go by just the scale, there is more to it than that. I will however tell you what not to do, and exactly what I did. I bought a PTC duro from ebay under some not so accurate info about duros and thought all was good. Of course I found out the scale was wrong and obviously it was all my fault. So I contacted PTC and spent the >$100 conversion to the "Paris" spec. and have it recalibrated. Much to my surprise the spring stays the same but the indentor, bezel, and gauge, and I think the needle needed to be replaced. This was a couple of years ago but once all was said and done it cost me almost the same as it would to buy one new. The moral of the story, just buy a new one from a Paris dealer or if you can find a MaxMod, get it. I have used them and they seem pretty accurate to me. If you cannot afford it, then you cannot afford it and don't waste your time and money pretending that you should have one.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by fraz
Hmm, that is weird. But then again, with the exception of the newer Nitro Shoes, Jaco uses the color coding system so it's hard to tell what the heck they are doing.

Turn: Yeah, I have never been able to reach anybody at that number.<shrug>

Lowrance: I wouldn't go by just the scale, there is more to it than that. I will however tell you what not to do, and exactly what I did. I bought a PTC duro from ebay under some not so accurate info about duros and thought all was good. Of course I found out the scale was wrong and obviously it was all my fault. So I contacted PTC and spent the >$100 conversion to the "Paris" spec. and have it recalibrated. Much to my surprise the spring stays the same but the indentor, bezel, and gauge, and I think the needle needed to be replaced. This was a couple of years ago but once all was said and done it cost me almost the same as it would to buy one new. The moral of the story, just buy a new one from a Paris dealer or if you can find a MaxMod, get it. I have used them and they seem pretty accurate to me. If you cannot afford it, then you cannot afford it and don't waste your time and money pretending that you should have one.
John.

Sometimes...I think you know too much...
Old 01-16-2003, 07:01 AM

I spoke with the people at Max Mod a couple months ago. They are still sorta in business, and at that time they still had some durometers. He is no longer in a full time business at Max Mod but runs it as a second business. He can be reach at 626-359-7737, its best to get in contact with them around 10 or 11 PM PST. Don't call and leave messages during the day, they won't return them.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

I guess they don't answer their fax either, huh? I faxed a request a few days ago and I haven't heard from them... It's a shame that Gabe just fell off the map. My truer still kicks major butt!
Old 01-16-2003, 08:03 PM

Fax is a no too! I could only get them at like 11:00 PM
Old 01-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Thanks, bb. I was thinking that I'd like to get an 1/8th scale Serpent adapter. I'm into my Impulse right now, but who knows, maybe someday...
Old 01-16-2003, 08:22 PM

I needed the 1/8th scale serpent adapter too, thats why I called them. My truer still rocks too! I have just finished a Impulse Pro myself Can't wait to hit the track!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by bbntc3
I needed the 1/8th scale serpent adapter too, thats why I called them. My truer still rocks too! I have just finished a Impulse Pro myself Can't wait to hit the track!
An Impulse Pro for yourself? Or is that a 705?
Old 01-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Heheh... I've got a StreetSpec that is quasi-converted to Pro specs and I love it, but I gotta admit, that 705 keeps calling me !