Titanium screws / Aluminum screws ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Titanium screws / Aluminum screws ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Default Titanium screws / Aluminum screws ?

I want to buy the new EVO V coming out from Tamiya... pondering do I want titanium screws or aluminum screws? what's the difference?

Since the bulkheads of the EVO V will be aluminum... if i have aluminum screws will there be anything i have to beware of? are there any special ways to make sure the screws don't come out?

How bout aluminum bulkheads and titanium screws?

This is my first high performance RC.. (i have a ta04, but back then... the bulkheads were plastic)... so i would want to know more.

thx for helping me out.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Alu is a hair lighter than titanium

But titanium is a lot lot lot more stronger than alu.

When screwing into metal, we all must use blue colour liquid loctite...
Old 05-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
I want to buy the new EVO V coming out from Tamiya... pondering do I want titanium screws or aluminum screws? what's the difference?

Since the bulkheads of the EVO V will be aluminum... if i have aluminum screws will there be anything i have to beware of? are there any special ways to make sure the screws don't come out?

How bout aluminum bulkheads and titanium screws?

This is my first high performance RC.. (i have a ta04, but back then... the bulkheads were plastic)... so i would want to know more.

thx for helping me out.
The aluminum screws look a little better in my opinion. But, they strip very easy, and their a pain to get out. Titanium is harder to strip, and you can crank down on them to make a tighter fit. You really can't crank down on the aluminum screws, eventually you will screw up and strip them out.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply...

I will sacrifice beauty for strength in this case...

titanium it is. thanks for the replies.

I have another question... anyone have a picture of something about how much loctite is a good amount of loctite?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

If TAMIYA makes a screw set for the EVO5(I am sure that they will)I'm sure it will be the same as others set for TAMIYA cars. For the MSX, it's titanium on the bottom and aluminum on most of the top. I think the same goes for the TA05(not sure).

I agree with Juan, aluminum do look nice but can strip or brake easy. I been using both ti and aluminum on my MSX with no problems. If you wait for the screw set, it will be cheaper than buying different sizes. I am sure that Steve at speedtechrc will have an all ti screw set when this car come out.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Also, are tamiya "titanium screws" pure titanium?

i mean... if they call them titanium screws because its 10% titanium... 90% combo of cr*p (soft) metals.... it still doesn't make the screw that tough....
Old 05-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

i mean... if they call them titanium screws because its 10% titanium... 90% combo of cr*p (soft) metals.... it still doesn't make the screw that tough....

I don't know if most screws out on the market is 100% ti(maybe someone will know). You can still strip out ti screws if you are not carful. I never put any loctite on my screws. Just makes it harder to take out if you want to rebuild or align something. You also need a good 2mm head tool! Get Hudy or something just as good. Cheaper tools will strip the screw heads.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have another question... anyone have a picture of something about how much loctite is a good amount of loctite?
If you want to use Loctite on your electric ride, just put a couple drops worth on a plastic lid of some sort and dip the tip of each screw in the Loctite. Then dab the tip of the screw on a dry part of that lid to remove excess Loctite and screw it in place. Dip, dab, screw. Dip, dab, screw. It should be more than enough to secure your screws and you shouldn't have any problems when you have to unscrew them.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

...use blue color loctite
Old 05-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

tamiya blue threadlock is the same stuff as blue loctite?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

All titanium is an alloy made up of many metals, don't worry even the "weakest" titanium alloy is strong enough for R/C use. Although you may still get the odd titanium tierod breaking, the screws are should last for years.

I have some Lundsford Ti fatboy motor screws that have outlasted a few cars, and I'm sure Tamiya's quality is quite good.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the best titanium screw i used before is Jwerk titanium screw is 64 grade never stripe since i used it on my pro 4
Old 05-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Pure Titanium weighs .1621 pounds per cubic inch.
Pure Aluminum weighs .0975 pounds per cubic inch.

Titanium is almost twice as heavy
Old 05-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Definitely go with titanium, it is an amazing metal. I have a titanium bicycle and it rocks. It is made from 3/2.5 series titanium, which is an indication of the added percentages of aluminium and vandium. this is added to make it stronger/harder. There is also 6/4 Ti. Pure Ti often originates out of eastern europe or China. It is still good, but often a little softer and less strong. If you can afford it, get the ti, you wont regret it. And dont be too concerned about weight, it will be negligible, especially with most modern cars we are adding weight to make standards.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

For comparison,
Steel weighs .283 pounds per square inch.
Vanadium is .202 lbs/sq inch.
Uranium is .6753
Gold is .6969
And the heavy weight on the list. Iridium at .8096. So a 12" by 12" by 12" block of Iridium weighs in at a whopping 1204 pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.