Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results >

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Anyone got any dates for when these will truly show up or are they already supposed to be here? Also any videos of this thing on the dyno. MXwrench how many dynos did you pull? How many pipes have you used etc?
They are overdue. Rick Hohwart should be able to give us a better idea of when they will be "in stores" (online as well). At this rate, the engines will come out just about the same time as the .12 Ninjas.

Team Orion is going to be losing some sales to the Ninjas...
Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mxwrench, I know this would be asking alot... Is it possible to test CFR with a Mega/Picco pipe used on the ZX12 motor if you have one laying around??? From what I understood, the CFR was built around the Mega ZX12 design... It could be possible to see a more linear power pull vice the one that was tested with a Nova pipe... I'm sure you have alot more things to do, but pipes do make a big difference and since the CFR pipe is not available yet and the Mega pipe is...

RC_Alan
RC_Alan,
unfortunately, I do not have this pipe at my disposal at this time. If I can come accross this pipe soon, I will retest and post my results.

Was that two different dynameters? Im impressed the results were 1.15 and 1.15 on two different tests. Congrats on a well designed dyno that seems to pull the same results from on system to another. In real world dynos thats almost unheard of.

But after seeing those results im quite impressed. Cant wait to see these on the track. Whats the retail price looking at USD $280-300 range correct?

Anyone got any dates for when these will truly show up or are they already supposed to be here?
Artificial-I,

Yes, the testing was done but two different dyno's one on either side of the planet! Different weather, different elevations, different operators = very similar results!! I couldn't be more pleased with the results from the dyno! The moral of the story is having correct SAE correction factors!

I can't say anything about the pricing and availability of these engines, I was only commissioned to test the engine and post my findings.
Sorry
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nano
RC Alan, the CRF engine is a totally new design, it has nothing to do with the Mega. Forget any previous engine design you have seen before
I'm am very aware the motor is different... Thank you... Looking forward to other dyno tests from other outlets and to seeing if on the track... Is anyone running this motor at the US. Nationals in June at Crystal parK CA.??? I see HPI is not fielding a team/only doing RTR stuff for now on... So no Hara this year.

RC_Alan
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

I should have mention in my last post about the X-Dyno test... The results look super peaky, possibly due to the Nova pipe used which is more suitible for high RPM motors... I believe a pipe more suitible for torque like the Mega pipe from Picco and designed for the ZX-12 could possibly produce some surprising numbers if used/tested on the CRF motor. Orion should release/sell there tuned pipes at the time there motor is released to the public... Even better, a package/combo for $325.00 or less... Great selling point and price point... Just had to throw that out there... Mxwrench, great job with posting the results so soon for the public to see...

RC_Alan
Old 05-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

RC_Alan,

It is a common misconception of people that view my dyno sheets that I only use the pipe listed in the dyno graph for any particular engine tested. But as I stated before,

I will usually test each engine with a variety of pipes and only display the run that I feel made the best power.
I test each engine with many different pipes, glow plugs, and tuning until I achieve what I feel is the best results for a given engine.

Granted, I don't have every pipe made just lying around waiting to go on the dyno (I wish I did, but unfortunately that would prove quite expensive!) but I do have quite a few. I have also been doing this for quite a while and I know, after seeing a few runs of a particular engine, what shape pipe will benefit it the most as well as what length header will also compliment the engine. The only thing I don't usually do is mess with the head clearance of a stock engine, because I fell that would be misleading to the public as to the perfromance of the engine right out of the box.

I do feel however, that this engine performed quite well with the Novarossi 2601 pipe w/short header. A can tell you that I tested this engine with 5 other types of pipe/header combinations, and the results posted were the best out of 20 or so runs I made.

And just so you know, taking an engine that is top rpm oriented and putting a torquey pipe set up on it RARELY helps the bottom power, yet it will almost always kill the top. Engines and pipes must be selected do the engine can work in harmony. The CRF has event timings as such that it tends to be a high revving engine and the powerband shows us just that. Pipes tuned lengths are designed with a specific range of EX and Transfer port duration in mind, and therefore a long low end pipe would be out of phase when used on an engine with high ex port duration timing.

I tried it, it didn't work, and therefore I didn't post it.

BK
Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

mxwrench:

I know it would be a ton of work, but it would be really helpful if you created a matrix of headers and pipes to let us know what did and didn't work and a brief comment of what you observed. If you have an inventory of what you have on hand, I'll even put it together for you, so that you can just fill in the blanks as you do your testing.

Just something to thing about...
Old 05-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

looks like this motor is going to be high on the list of got to buy's
as i'm getting my sirio sti very soon a comparison would be verry alluminating!
i'll deffinately try to add this one to the collection,you can never have too much power
Old 05-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Wasp REV engines are shipping to distributors today and tomorrow. Pipes, accessories, and repalcement parts will arrive next week.

If you want an engine and have not ordered one from your hobby shop, please do so asap.

MSRP is $499.99. But this engine and all the parts and accessories are sold at full discounts to distributors and dealers. This means the street price will be significantly less. Tower shows $309.99 for example.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Default Glow Plugs

Can you use Nova Rossi glow plugs in this engine?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

What up Mike. No you cant, but seems you might be able to use the O.S plug thought.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JOSE CASAS
What up Mike. No you cant, but seems you might be able to use the O.S plug thought.
Jose, are you going to test/use one in your Mugen???

RC_Alan
Old 05-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is Josh Cyrul using the this engine at the Nationals since he just signed with Team Orion?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Yes I am!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Yes I am!!!
Have you done any testing with it yet?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Can't wait to get one on our engine. Nice to see the X-Dyno showing how accurate and consistent it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.