Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and Cheapest Nitro On road kit..

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Best and Cheapest Nitro On road kit..

Hi Guys!
im a newbie at nitro..

Im planning to buy a new but cheap nitro on road kit...which of the following is a good kit for me?

*HPI R40
*Serpent
*Hobao gpx4
*Kyosho
Old 05-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Tech Addict

are you planning to race or just muck around?
if you want something cheap and simple get a ntc3.
if you want to race get a v-one rrr or mtx-4
Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i and many of the guys at our track have the gpx4. we all love it. cheap car and parts, very tunable and seems pretty competetive too
Old 05-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

maybe you can try G4S.. the price not to expensive.. if you want going to race.. it's ready to race also.. and out of the box setting already good.. u just need more adjustment with your driving style..
Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 AM
Tech Addict

Out of the 4 you have listed, for price I would go with the GPX4 because the rest arent cheap once you start getting everything you need for them to run.
Like ae-ntc3 said the RTR NTC3 is a good price also.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Best and Cheap in the same sentince what do you want to accomplish, race or play, and second, what size track? If it is a small track, get an NTC3 RTR.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

If you are getting into RC, you definately are going to upgrade.

I think its better to get a good, durable car than just a cheap one.

The V one RRR and the MTX4 are your best choice, because sooner or later you

are going to upgrade. But If you want a car just to mess around with, go for the

cheap one's. GOOD LUCK
Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I had a R40 which is belt driven and a little more complicated. I guess it was more tunable but I did not know how to tune it. I now have a NTC3 and love it. It is so simple. You can adjust all the basic setups for a very reliable responsive race car. I now realized if you get a NTC3, the factory team kit is the way to go but you can get a RTR like me and upgrade shocks, get better tires, and eventually a new engine and electronics. Of course you can do a lot more but those were the basics
Old 05-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

If you want inexpensive and good and RTR, I'd go with the Team Magic LeMans. It's based on the Team Magic G4 Evo car, with a .15 engine and Futaba radio. $389 at Winner's Circle. Way better value than the NTC3 , in my opinion.

If you want to build and have a great car, go for the TM G4s. Almost all the hop-ups are already included... change the clutch spring and suspension springs... and go race. $375 at Winner's Circle. Way better value than your other 4 choices, in my opinion.

Winner's Circle
Old 05-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BimmerDriver
If you want inexpensive and good and RTR, I'd go with the Team Magic LeMans. It's based on the Team Magic G4 Evo car, with a .15 engine and Futaba radio. $389 at Winner's Circle. Way better value than the NTC3 , in my opinion.

If you want to build and have a great car, go for the TM G4s. Almost all the hop-ups are already included... change the clutch spring and suspension springs... and go race. $375 at Winner's Circle. Way better value than your other 4 choices, in my opinion.

Winner's Circle
I agree with the RTR recommendation, but for the same price as the G4S he can get a 710, WCE, or an R40 ($115.01 less than the TM). Lee can get all the above mentioned kits. For price in kit form, the R40 is hard to beat, great price. Everyone and their mother has HPI stock, Kyosho and Serpent are very common, and Team Magic stuff is hard to come by unless mail order is in the equation.

And the Original Poster mentioned being new. He will be at his local hobby shop more than the track for sure. We all were. I think you should buy what is available to you locally. Mail Order is great for saving money but a $7.00 shipping charge each time you wreck gets expensive. Call around your hobby shops to see what car parts they have on hand. If they carry Team Magic, buy TM products, if they don't carry anything, buy whatever you want or can afford.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good no cheap, Cheap not so good. Sad but true. It is like asking for a car with Porsche's performance but with a consumption of a tiny car.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

for the same price as the G4S he can get a 710, WCE, or an R40 ($115.01 less than the TM).
where? The difference between the 710 and g4 on lees site is 10 bucks??

Team Magic stuff is hard to come by unless mail order is in the equation.
That is an untrue statement
As for part avalibility for the G4's all a shop has to do is call us and we can have any part for the car to them in 1 to 2 days if reqested. There is no part availability issues for the G4 in the united states. There are a large number of dealers around the nation which stock parts for it. Just check the find a dealer section of our website.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Motorman
where? The difference between the 710 and g4 on lees site is 10 bucks??

That is an untrue statement
As for part avalibility for the G4's all a shop has to do is call us and we can have any part for the car to them in 1 to 2 days if reqested. There is no part availability issues for the G4 in the united states. There are a large number of dealers around the nation which stock parts for it. Just check the find a dealer section of our website.
The 710 is $15 cheaper than the G4S. The point of my post isn't directed to Team Magic nor Phenix, but local availability. If you have a buy in, some mom and pop places aren't willing to put up the dough.

Last edited by performula; 05-12-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by performula
Mail Order is great for saving money but a $7.00 shipping charge each time you wreck gets expensive.
I've been paying $3-5 for my parts shipping which is less than my local sales tax. In fact the shipping for the kit was less than local sales tax, and the LHS was not helpful when it came to taking on a new line; especially since on-road is not popular in my immediate area. Race a nitro truck on dirt ovals and you can get parts here.

I get more "help" from the mail order guy who is also a racer or from the threads here .
Old 05-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Bimmerdriver Mushroom bowl speedway has picked an account and also pantheon motorsports. both are in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.