Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum Reciever Antenna Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Spektrum Reciever Antenna Question

Hello all, my car today took a BIG spill and did a HUGE flip and it skidded about a meter or two and the antenna wire came off. So I was just wondering if I could solder in another one? A copper single strand 18 awg wire?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aN4rK1
Hello all, my car today took a BIG spill and did a HUGE flip and it skidded about a meter or two and the antenna wire came off. So I was just wondering if I could solder in another one? A copper single strand 18 awg wire?
I would send it into Spektrum for repair, the antenna wires are very sensitive components of the receiver.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tsquare
I would send it into Spektrum for repair, the antenna wires are very sensitive components of the receiver.
I don't know about single strand, because I'm not sure that's what the antenna lead is inside - but I wouldn't think there would be any reason why you couldn't replace it if you were skilled with a soldering iron. How magically "sensitive" can something be that gets wrapped in a different way around various junk in every car and which can be trimmed down to like 3" and still work?
Old 05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Arrow

Well ive opened up the spektrum reciver before and the antenna is just a wire soldered on. And I was suggesting single stand because its just stronger and its pure copper so I imagine its better wire. Cant Hurt To Try I can just unsolder it.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You will however void your warranty. It might not be elegible for warranty repair anyways.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Call Spektrum Technical supprot in the morning, they are very good and helpful. See what they say, before you start messing with your reciever.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It's just regular (good quality) wire. It looks to me like 26 guage.

Solid wire is not "better" in any way. It's less flexible and it carries less current. Most good wire is copper that's been tinned, so it looks silver.

If you have a good iron with a fine tip and you're good at that stuff, it would be a no-brainer to change out the wire...if you don't have the good iron and the "skilz"...send it in.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Tech Addict

Stranded wire can be considered as multiple antennas, side by side.

I agree with what Turbo Joe says solid wire brakes more easily, and if have the equipment and the skills there is no reason why you can't replace the wire yourself.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you have the old wire, and it is long enough you can solder it back on.. Spektrum has a part in there directions for people who want to shorten the wire. it tells how long it has to be.. If only part of you wire came off maybe you can trim some more off to make it the right size,.. the syastem is ver sensetive to the right wire and size..
Old 05-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Pretty sure they can be shortened to 3.5 inches, the rep cut mine down at the birds this past year.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have replaced many antenna wires, in fact I did one just this weekend. On an old style reciever, you needed the wire to be a certain length, tuned for that rx. With the spektrum, it's not as important. So my suggestion would be, if the wire came off from the base of the rx, to clip the end, tin it and solder it back on the rx board. If you are decent with soldering, it's fairly easy to do.

If you need to replace the wire, make sure it is stranded. The single wire will not work. And stranded wire that small is not too easy to find though. Radio Shack doesn't carry wire that small, stranded. You'll probably have to go to a real industrial electronics store. I've used this company a few times, http://www.rselectronics.com
Old 05-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ennjay
Radio Shack doesn't carry wire that small, stranded. You'll probably have to go to a real industrial electronics store. I've used this company a few times, http://www.rselectronics.com
Whenever I hear someone say "real electronics store" I always want to plug Mouser because they rock, I've found so many items there that either no one else carried or no one else carried affordably, good bookmark to have in general. Also, when looking for stuff like antenna wire locally another good resource is to find out wherever the local HAMs shop. Those guys are a zillion times more detail oriented and picky about electronics than even R/C folks are, and anyone who they patronize generally knows their stuff! HTH.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by polesitter61
Pretty sure they can be shortened to 3.5 inches, the rep cut mine down at the birds this past year.
3.6 inches is what the manual says.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by khyron
Also, when looking for stuff like antenna wire locally another good resource is to find out wherever the local HAMs shop. Those guys are a zillion times more detail oriented and picky about electronics than even R/C folks are, and anyone who they patronize generally knows their stuff! HTH.

I have a friend who make the boxes the HAMs use and he can solder wire on the head of a needle! He is beyond anal about his electronics stuff. I have the Hakko 936 he has a couple of those electric blue real expensive irons.

------------

How short can you cut a Spektrum receiver wire? I have mine just wadded up with a zip tie and can drive down my entire street with losing a signal. I have it extended on my nitro car because the track is bigger though.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

how bout no wires at all?

the new futaba 2.4ghz reciever has an internal antenna...
Attached Thumbnails Spektrum Reciever Antenna Question-p1001_1-f0901.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.