Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRC / Academy SB V2 Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Anyone hear of when the Pro version's coming out...
Old 05-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

contact mrc directly and ask for tim he'll hook you up . thats what i do when i need something.. everybody needs to check out the new charger coming out next month it sounds really good......
Old 05-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Thanks jspurgin. No offense, but that doesn't exactly sound like the best way to reach the masses with what looks like a great buggy (call the company and ask for Tim). Wouldn't it be better business for MRC to hook up with Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobby and make their kits and spare parts easily available??

I'm not attacking you personally, just venting . This buggy looked good in RC Driver and RC Car Action, but if the buggy and spare parts aren't easily available, I doubt that it will be successful. At least I doubt if I'll be buying one.

Compared to Tamiya's Dark Impact, it's about $50 more expensive and not easy to get parts for at the gool ol' LHS. (I doubt that my LHS has Dark Impact arms and hub carriers on the shelf, but at least I can go to Tower Hobbies and get the parts in a few days).

Venting complete. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hello,

Ultimate Hobbies has parts for the vehicle and you can purchase the buggy from them.

I am working on an FAQ for the SB V2, main things are that you will want to put a longer steering link so you can get full throw or play with the current one and the mounting points. Also, you will need to work on the rear droop issue as the bones don't extend enough into the drives. I put an o-ring into each side of the axles and I got more droop.

I'll post more soon.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can someone tell me which buggy I bought, and is it any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Looks like the "pro" version of the SB buggy. See link below (if it works) or just go to www.modelrec.com

http://modelrec.com/products/rcCarsB...=RC%20Vehicles

I think one of the drawbacks of this model (compared to the new V2 version)is no slipper clutch.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

That is where I am getting confused. The MRC web page says that it doesnt have a slipper and other nice things, but the sticker on the box of the one I bought says its a limited edition 2, and comes with a slipper and other goodies. The part number is also a bit different, its 15990, the regular PRO is 1599. IS this something they released but isnt on the web? I am lost.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

Old 05-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Legend

You got the most current SB Pro V1 edition. It has the Velox hubs which are stronger than the previous style.

The vehicle is very good with a few mods. Email me for the FAQ. You will also want to purchase the newer spurs and possibly the acractech motor mount.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Tech Adept

I emailed Tim at MRC, this one does have the adjustable motor mount. Wierd.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Tech Legend

the one you have doesn't have a kose style motor mount which is what acratech sells. The stock mount for some reason doesn't allow as much gearing range like the sport mount and can move doing hard impacts.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys

We are the Australian distributors for Academy.
Testing has been done on the new STR4 PRO2 and SBV2 with great success.
for more information contact [email protected]
Old 06-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tradhunt
Anyone hear of when the Pro version's coming out...
echo.......

I'm torn between the ZX-5 and the SB V2, but want to hold out until the "pro" model comes out. I think aluminum shocks and turnbuckles would be worth the wait......
Old 06-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Legend

Hey Everyone.

I got to finally do some bashing sessions with my SB. Here is my current setup:

ESC – Tekin G10 Pro +
DX3 Specktrum Radio System
Hitec 945MG
Orion V2 9 turn single
Stock battery and motor configuration
Fusion Tires with Losi Firm Foams
Modded center Steering link for maximum throw
Teflon #3 piston front, #4 rear
30W AE oil front and rear
Front shock tower stock location, Rear 1 in from outer most location
Front A arm stock location, Rear A arm outer location
Stock Springs
Front and Rear Arms level
Gearing: 80T / 16T

With this setup for bashing the vehicle had great off to mid power steering full power had some 4wd push. The thing I really noticed that I liked was that the rear off of jumps and bumps would not bottom out like my SB V1 Sport or Pro would do. Initial Battery pack run had some diff chirping issues, retightening seemed to clear that up but will watch this area.

Jumping consisted of repeated hitting those black BMX jumps you can purchase at Toys R us, I believe about 1 – 1.5 feet at the highest point. Similar to the jumps I have used before when running indoors on carpet over jumps. The V2 sailed true and was easy to correct in mid flight, better than my V1 Sport or Pro in fact.

The stiffeness of the suspension parts compared to the V1 displayed itself well during various types of turns with diffent levels of power, the vehicle felt more direct than the similar plastic V1 Sport. I am very interested in trying the vehicle on the track to see how well it steers and handles the chassis flex. The flex on the local tracks may not be an issue. On high traction surfaces however you will want to op for graphite components I believe.

The steering and droop mods appear to have held up well and I would recommend trying them. For durability, the vehicle did quite well, I hit a tree at about mid power and it can away unscathed. I also took a few jumps wrong, which made the local kids excited from the flips the buggy did and it came away again in one piece with little road rash.

I hope to stop by the track this weekend and get some laps in. Most likely trying out the Fusions first but going to holeshots I believe will be the best bet. If things are fluffier than I anticipate I will go with Losi IFMAR Studs .

Some issues I need addressed separately will be that every so often my setup would either catch a glitch on full power starts or when the power started to go down, it would either have full power to the servo or full power to the motor. Also, I am not sure of gearing yet, but venting may need to be done. I’ll see about setting up the vehicle without the undertray and see how it goes for heat.

As for going between the ZX-5 and the current V2, I can see a dilemma as well. You get alot with the ZX-5 no double. The V2 also has some nice features, I just wish it did come with the Alloy Shocks.

I would say do this, price up the following:

V2
Lunsford B3 turnbuckles Kit (superduty at RC Boyz is about $23)
Full set of alloy shocks (B4 ones should fit again)
The SB oneway diff (no idea on price)
Some extra bearings ( figure $5 - $10 for the areas with no bearings)

Compare that to the ZX5 then pricewise plus anything extra you need to buy for durability on the ZX-5 ( I think the main thing is the front brace). That probably would give you a better comparison then. I would say if you can, wheel them both and see which you like. The ZX-5 from all reports is a heck of a vehicle. V2 is still pretty new.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

I just ordered a V2 today along with the Pro shock bodies and turnbuckles. the car and the Hop-Ups are cheap enough i think it's woth getting if thats what you want. I Have a friend with the ZX-5 and he has bad luck breaking. Will let everyone know how the build goes.

Later
Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.