Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Need help with my hudy tech lathe >

Need help with my hudy tech lathe

Need help with my hudy tech lathe

Old 04-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Ridges can be caused by two factors :

- If your lathe felt on the ground or something similar, there is a change that your screw is bent. To check that tighten the grub screws of the moving part of the lathe (the screws that hold on the delrin bit that goes on the guides) until you have to put some effort to get any movement (notice, you don't have to put a lot of effort, but you shouldn't be able to turn the screw with 1 finger). If there is a hard spot when you turn the screw, then it's bent and you should replace it.

- Otherwise, the grub screws that holds the delrin bit are too loose. As I said before, you shouldn't be able to turn the screw with one finger. If that is the case your lathe is set too loose and the guide isn't doing its job properly. Remember that with a lathe you're playing with microns, so a play that will end up with ridges is impossible to notice by just looking at it. You also have to do this for both directions (there are two screws and both need setting up). On my lathe (which is quite old now), the best setting I found is when I need to put one finger on the base to keep it steady whilst turning the screw. It's also a good idea to put a tiny bit of black grease on the guides.
I noticed that when I have the track set relatively tight the wheel feels choppy when I move the bit towards the tabs (cutting or not) but it feels smooth when I move the bit back away from the tabs, although if I loosen the track it feels smoother, but still not really perfectly smooth. The lathe has never been dropped bumped dinged or anything. Ive always kept in my pit box in the plastic case and I dont use it often. So maybe my screw is bent? By screw, you're referring to the screw that is attached to the wheel which moves the whole "block" thus moving the bit back and forth?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Does hudy have good customer service? Maybe I could send it in and have them check it out. The thing is I dont know for sure if this is being caused by the bits or not. Although I dont see how a bit could cause ridges because its really impossible for it to move in and out on its own. I could see it causing a bad finish though.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

try this.
are you placing your finger on the end of the armature when your cutting your comm. placing your finger on the end with slight pressure will keep the arm from bouncing (slightly) that may be causing your lines. also you have not mentioned what you are using for a cutting lubricant.
loosen the grub screws so that there is no binding and spray it out with motor spray and add a little oil to the guides.

you may want to ask someone at the track to look at it for you.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with my hudy tech lathe-p4240004-3.jpg  
Old 04-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

Ive been using a sharpie for lubricant. I havent been putting my finger at the end of the shaft when cutting, but I do have it shimmed just about perfectly, there is very little slop, but it is perfectly free.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

try using your finger.
did you add a motor washer between the "comm and the lathe support".

give it one more try.

i use wd40 when making the final cut. the wd40 makes it look like its cutting bad, but its just the wd40 clinging to the comm when its spinning.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

I had the same problem, I was getting ridges across the comm when using a Hudy lathe and it was making a high pitch noise when cutting and from my experience, the problem as I found it was the comm spinning the wrong way.

The comm should be spinning clockwise looking from the cutting bit to the motor so the comm spins upwards into the cutting bit.

Now I have a nice polished finish and it only requires 2 or 3 passes to achieve whereas before it would take 10+ passes to achieve an acceptable result.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by baih
try using your finger.
did you add a motor washer between the "comm and the lathe support".

give it one more try.

i use wd40 when making the final cut. the wd40 makes it look like its cutting bad, but its just the wd40 clinging to the comm when its spinning.
Ill give the finger a try, and yes I have a shim between the comm and v-blocks and their supports. The edge of the comm is not rubbing on the supports. Im 100% sure is spinning in the right direction.

I think the bent screw idea may make sense, because it doesnt require consistant pressure to turn the wheel that moves the bit side to side when the track is tight (meaning it is harder to turn then easier to turn). I just cant see any way that it would have happened though.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default tech lathe

Originally Posted by AE Racer
Ill give the finger a try, and yes I have a shim between the comm and v-blocks and their supports. The edge of the comm is not rubbing on the supports. Im 100% sure is spinning in the right direction.

I think the bent screw idea may make sense, because it doesnt require consistant pressure to turn the wheel that moves the bit side to side when the track is tight (meaning it is harder to turn then easier to turn). I just cant see any way that it would have happened though.
Did you ever get this resolved? Was it the grub screws holding the delrin pad? Or was the screw bent? Many racers are having this problem (including me).