Search
Like Tree143Likes

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1
the EVO V group is a small and dedicated group...if you check it's mostly the same guys helping each other out..and every now and then someone joins in because they just got an EVO V (one of the best cars out there) and guess what 3 months from now that person will be giving the same advice to a new comer to the thread.

and like most of the racers yes ...check around...we don't like to spend money to get the CF all scuffed shredded or torn apart by track surface...mucho $$$$ or have a pebble rip the drivetrain apart...even more $$$ I've had to throw a car away because of that.
most guys that run on rough surfaces don't spend $300 for a chassis..they get a TA05 or a TC4 or a used Pro4 or a Cyclone S something in that price range...
Most of most guys that run asphalt who buy T2 007, Mi2Ec, 415 MSX or Cyclones, etc...don't go in the local parking lot to race..they drive a hour or two to race on prepped and smooth surfaces.

I've been to quite a number of tracks around the states...and you'll see most racers running either chassis protector or they just run a scrap chassis...when running on rough surfaces.

.02 cents ....now back to EVO V
how are you guys finding the car on med traction carpet?
I agree. My bone with him was the arrogance. "I only race on prepped surfaces". The kid he was responding to had a legitimate gripe and bif over there, with his blue blood wanna be elitist attitude harped about his racing conditions. Unfortunately Bif, real estate here in the USA is a commodity, and not too many areas are designated for perfect tracks. We set-up and race where conditions permit at times and if its a parking lot, then its a parking lot. But, I guess elitists like you dont suffer from such low class budgetness..
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I actually dont have that problem. I was speaking on behalf of someone else who said they get rocks in their belts. Your arrogant comments wrought the benefit of my tongue lashing. Personally, I could give a hoot less about tamiya vehicles. No parts support here in nyc, so they mean diddly to me. In case you didnt read my signature, I run both belt and shaft, dont suffer from debris in the drivetrain and if I were to travel to your raggedy part of the planet, would run circles around you at your home track. But, thats neither here nor there. Carry on.
surely someone getting "rocks in their belts" can't be driving an Evo 5. look i never questioned your driving skill, so maybe you are able to run circles around me, which is good for you. i wasn't being arrogant either, so clearly you misunderstand me when i speak.

one more thing, this side of my planet is not raggedy, but i wouldn't expect you to understand that, considering where you are from.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default ???

elitist like me....I'm going to take that as a joke....
I'm just an average joe..who races when I get break from work...
My budget is way below most.

I try to help people on here and show new Rctechers...it's a great hobby...
if someone ask...which car...i ask where are you going to race...parking lot or race track.

I don't like to be in others business...not my thing...but this stuff doesn't help the hobby out at all. Re-read all the post and hopefully you can see why i say that.

End finish..period....back to EVO V
Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

I agree. My bone with him was the arrogance. "I only race on prepped surfaces". The kid he was responding to had a legitimate gripe and bif over there, with his blue blood wanna be elitist attitude harped about his racing conditions. Unfortunately Bif, real estate here in the USA is a commodity, and not too many areas are designated for perfect tracks. We set-up and race where conditions permit at times and if its a parking lot, then its a parking lot. But, I guess elitists like you dont suffer from such low class budgetness..

what kid are you talking about? i will say it again, "i do only race on prepped surfaces" so that i don't F$%k up my $400 car. if you are gonna be racing the car on a surface that can cause so much of problems, then it becomes a "suck it up and live with it" problem!

i am no world class racer, but an average club racer. that is why i will be so selective about where i race my car. i don't have sponsors or a huge bank balance to continuously repair damage that seems self inflicted 'cos i race my "$400" car in a crappy parking lot!

i used to also race in a parking lot, didn't we all at some point? sorry to hear that real estate is a commodity in the USA, maybe you should come to my "raggedy" part of the world then Prick! we have lots of land here!

i have been on many forums and i always see SH!T stirrers and keyboard bravehearts. you come across as the type. anyway i am done wasting my time with you. have a nice life!

Last edited by RocketRacer; 11-07-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
hey all,

Quick pic to show you how I'm getting my Evo ready for the Carpet Wars in a few weeks, stiffening it up a bit (the holes are in the chassis and top deck btw). Already feels a stiffer when twisting by hand (a bit subjective.. but hey).
Also fitted some of the H0 rear hubs to the car as well, should aid forward traction, and rear end grip.

Still working towards a dialed setup, car still has a tendancy to snap out on the rear into slow corners, but at the same doesnt have enough high-speed on power steering.... only one club meet left before round one, so gotta make it count. Plenty of things to try, I have ideas on what I can do, any one else want to throw some in?

Oh and followed Mr Jun's advice on the Tamiya USA website, happily got the drivetrain spinning for 15seconds after a quick spin, and it's only get freeer as the new bearings start to break in more.

Cheers
Ed
what spur is that Ed?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by olhipster1
elitist like me....I'm going to take that as a joke....
I'm just an average joe..who races when I get break from work...
My budget is way below most.

I try to help people on here and show new Rctechers...it's a great hobby...
if someone ask...which car...i ask where are you going to race...parking lot or race track.

I don't like to be in others business...not my thing...but this stuff doesn't help the hobby out at all. Re-read all the post and hopefully you can see why i say that.

End finish..period....back to EVO V
The elitist comment wasnt directed at you.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
the edges where the aluminum meets the plastic. there is a fair edge there where lots of cr*p can get into the gear box and ruin your day. at least it has for me >_< that is the ONLY thing i don't like about this car.

Originally Posted by RocketRacer
i don't know what you guys keep complaining about. if you run on a properly prepared track, and do maintenance on these race machines they way it should be done, you won't have a problem. i do a strip down after every race meeting and the dust that i get out of the gearbox is minimal, nothing that can cause damage. if you are getting so much of crap in the gearbox, i can only imagine how many times you must be getting stuff stuck in your pinions and spurs! in order for any chassis to run at it's peak, it has to be maintained properly!!!
This is what set me off. The kid was speaking about something that annoyed him about the car. Making mention of the type of track, albeit obvious, didnt solve his gripe.

Keyboard braveheart? Be glad it is online and in reference to r/c. Dudes kill me with their antagonistic attitudes online, knowing they are "safe" behind the monitor. You say something inflammatory and expect no response..ARROGANT.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Tech Regular

Quote:
the edges where the aluminum meets the plastic. there is a fair edge there where lots of cr*p can get into the gear box and ruin your day. at least it has for me >_< that is the ONLY thing i don't like about this car.

This is what set me off. The kid was speaking about something that annoyed him about the car. Making mention of the type of track, albeit obvious, didnt solve his gripe.

Keyboard braveheart? Be glad it is online and in reference to r/c. Dudes kill me with their antagonistic attitudes online, knowing they are "safe" behind the monitor. You say something inflammatory and expect no response..ARROGANT.
oh. why should i be glad it is online and in refernce to r/c? are you some sort of macho man?? you seem to behave like a "bad ou". shame, in this day and age. ok lukker!

i hope rcnewb2004 resolved his problem though.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Tech Regular

I actually dont have that problem. I was speaking on behalf of someone else who said they get rocks in their belts. Your arrogant comments wrought the benefit of my tongue lashing. Personally, I could give a hoot less about tamiya vehicles. No parts support here in nyc, so they mean diddly to me. In case you didnt read my signature, I run both belt and shaft, dont suffer from debris in the drivetrain and if I were to travel to your raggedy part of the planet, would run circles around you at your home track. But, thats neither here nor there. Carry on.
you seem to forget the things you say....you say the above quote now, but a few months ago you say this below?? do you secretly love Tamiya products? it's ok you can tell us!!

I have a Atsushi Hara Pro 4. While the car is a rocket with GTB/4.5, I have to contend with the fact that if I run HPI's ball diff, it's a wrap. If I run with the spool, I snap CVD's and it's a wrap. So, that being said, I am leaning toward Xray, Tamiya or if Associated drops it soon enuf, the TC5. The question is, can these belted cars (the belts primarily) handle the power of the brushless if one ISNT running on carpet? I know their diffs are much stronger than HPI's (breaks my heart to have to jettison the car, but thats for another thread), and the parts support is better for the afore mentioned brands. So, I you guys' most professional of opinions, which would be the better to buy? I had my eyes on a used T1 FK05 and if a 415 comes my way, I am leaping on it a New York minute.

i think this thread should go back to being an Evo 5 thread. to the rest of the Evo 5'ers, i am sorry about taking up this space for this problem and if i offended anyone with my posts i apologise.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bender
Ed,

Try running a roll bar on the rear (or a heavier one if you're running one).

I found that with the rear bar on, the car tends to be more stable entering slow corners, and as soon as I took it off the back started to step out into the corner.

Plus you will gain more exit steering with the rear bar on.
Cheers bender,
That was on my list of things to try (but quite low down). I currently only run a bar on the front (soft), but what you say makes sense (more than likely rear of the car is rolling too much in the low speed, causing the snappiness), so I'll try that first next time out.

@RR
it's an RW 96t 64dp

Cheers
Ed
Old 11-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

This is a evo 5 thread, and I feel bad that I have started a chain of unnecessary "discussion" on it. I guess if I am free to say "i hate rocks in my diff", anyone else is free to say "get a track".

The purpose of my whining:
#1 is to let everyone to be aware of such a problem and that perhaps if there are any 19T parking lot racers out there, to beware of this. I think racers should look out for each other.

#2 is to notify some hop-up companies about this problem for some of us evo 5 racers, and manufacturing something to help us. It is going to mean a business oppurtunity.

#3 is just to vent my frustration and to look for alternate solutions to this problem (maybe there is a quicker fixer upper).

I wanted the person who said "get a track or don't get this car" comment,to know, I am not personally offended, and that I feel you were simply offering an alternative solution to my problem. However, I am sure there is a track near by your area where you can practice and get along with the people there. You are a very talented and lucky indvidual, as it is difficult to get both in my area. I am not easy to get along with i guess, and the closest "good track" is nearby apollo hobbies, which is about a 2 hr commute (there and back) from where I live. For practicing, it is impractical for me to spend this amount of time travelling.

I live in Richmond B.C. Canada, if there are any tracks that are open for newbs to come and practice for a reasonable price, do tell me.

#4 i was also shocked at how unrefined they were, as they served no "real" purpose. Those who run on maintained tracks have told me on this thread that they could run without the gear covers. Those who run on parking lots or an outdoor environment (expecting good gear covers) are sadly disappointed because they cannot keep out a fair amount of debris.

I would like to thank those who have taken interest in my scenario and have made different suggestions or came to my defense for my whining. If it makes everyone's day better, I will not talk about gear covers anymore on this thread.

Back to evo 5 stuff, So where do you and how do you spin your drive train? with your fingers? on the spur gear?? 15 seconds is a long time.... is it timed or just perceived ... cause i can only get a max of like 7 seconds on mine >_<
Old 11-08-2006, 03:21 AM
Tech Regular

This is a evo 5 thread, and I feel bad that I have started a chain of unnecessary "discussion" on it. I guess if I am free to say "i hate rocks in my diff", anyone else is free to say "get a track".

The purpose of my whining:
#1 is to let everyone to be aware of such a problem and that perhaps if there are any 19T parking lot racers out there, to beware of this. I think racers should look out for each other.

#2 is to notify some hop-up companies about this problem for some of us evo 5 racers, and manufacturing something to help us. It is going to mean a business oppurtunity.

#3 is just to vent my frustration and to look for alternate solutions to this problem (maybe there is a quicker fixer upper).

I wanted the person who said "get a track or don't get this car" comment,to know, I am not personally offended, and that I feel you were simply offering an alternative solution to my problem. However, I am sure there is a track near by your area where you can practice and get along with the people there. You are a very talented and lucky indvidual, as it is difficult to get both in my area. I am not easy to get along with i guess, and the closest "good track" is nearby apollo hobbies, which is about a 2 hr commute (there and back) from where I live. For practicing, it is impractical for me to spend this amount of time travelling.

I live in Richmond B.C. Canada, if there are any tracks that are open for newbs to come and practice for a reasonable price, do tell me.

#4 i was also shocked at how unrefined they were, as they served no "real" purpose. Those who run on maintained tracks have told me on this thread that they could run without the gear covers. Those who run on parking lots or an outdoor environment (expecting good gear covers) are sadly disappointed because they cannot keep out a fair amount of debris.

I would like to thank those who have taken interest in my scenario and have made different suggestions or came to my defense for my whining. If it makes everyone's day better, I will not talk about gear covers anymore on this thread.

Back to evo 5 stuff, So where do you and how do you spin your drive train? with your fingers? on the spur gear?? 15 seconds is a long time.... is it timed or just perceived ... cause i can only get a max of like 7 seconds on mine >_<
rcnewb, i apologise if i came across too strongly. please don't stop talking about any issues you have with the Evo 5. besides, that's what this thread is for right??

i tried spinning my Evo 5 drive train, i get about 4seconds so it looks like i seriously need to sort out the bearings as per David Jun.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nautilian
Question to the peeps, on your rear propeller once you have completely built and assembled it, how much slop do you have? Currently I have about 1-2mm of play and am curious to know if I should add a 1mm spacer and then shim from there on, or is there meant to be that amount of play? If I am to add the spacer and shim it, must I put it with the other 3x 3x2mm spacers that sit before you attach your center cup?

Thanks in advance.
Someone please help me with the above!

Thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

15seconds was timed
Best thing to do, follow David Juns build tips on the TRF USA site... it's what I've done. I've also played around with the shimming a bit as well. Theres a couple of points (input shafts) where it feels like it could do with shimming more to stop the play... but adding the shims reduces the freeness. I've just shimmed it to be as free as possible, and sod the play

Few more bits. The new low friction V parts (shock tops and bottoms) seem very good, got them installed on my Evo now as well, and do feel more durable than the black ones (they are made from similar looking material to the grey ball cups).
Also, the suspension block spacers are rather nice too... usefully avaliable in 0.5mm and 1mm thicknesses much better support for the blocks in a crash than two small shims (I have found that the suspension blocks can occasionaly bend in a very heavy crash, if raised up on spacers).

Cheers
Ed
Old 11-08-2006, 03:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nautilian
Someone please help me with the above!

Thanks
Hi Naut
Which bit do you mean? the spur mount? or elsewhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.