Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tamiya never fails to release several versions of the same car within months of each other.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Jst for everyones information, I have recieved my evo 5. I bought the clear blue evo 4 gear box covers, they wont fit. Ibought the evo 4 ball diff gears, they're different, I bought the t tech racing evo 4 blue alloy diff outputs, they're too big. This is a totally different car. The gear boxes are slightly smaller than the evo 4 ones, the diffs are slightly smaller meaning less rotating mass. So DONT go buying these parts.

Im not building mine until I can get enough parts to build a ball diff for the front instead of using the supplied one-way. We race mainly on carpet here in the uk in stock so the one way wont do. This is the only complaint Tamiya. Come on sort this out. If anyone has any info on building a ball diff for the evo 5, then please let the world know.

Overall a beautiful car. I can tell its going to be damn good. Quality is typical tamiya perfection.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cambridgecruisr
Jst for everyones information, I have recieved my evo 5. I bought the clear blue evo 4 gear box covers, they wont fit. Ibought the evo 4 ball diff gears, they're different, I bought the t tech racing evo 4 blue alloy diff outputs, they're too big. This is a totally different car. The gear boxes are slightly smaller than the evo 4 ones, the diffs are slightly smaller meaning less rotating mass. So DONT go buying these parts.

Im not building mine until I can get enough parts to build a ball diff for the front instead of using the supplied one-way. We race mainly on carpet here in the uk in stock so the one way wont do. This is the only complaint Tamiya. Come on sort this out. If anyone has any info on building a ball diff for the evo 5, then please let the world know.

Overall a beautiful car. I can tell its going to be damn good. Quality is typical tamiya perfection.
buy a spare rear one way diff. it should be a direct drop in.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Under the Tamiya spell

Tamiya cars are like drugs. They are so well detailed and pretty that I just can't stop buying them. This EVO5 looks really really nice. The problem is, I spent a ga-jesus load of money on the TA05 already. But I'll eventually get one anyway...cause it's my drug of choice. I'm just gonna have to tell my wife,"See...look how pretty it is". Hope she'll understand.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

This car is barely over 300USD in Japan
Tempting...I might go for the MSX instead though, only 350
Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

My EVO V should be with me next week some time .

Can not wait to get this beast , im more than happy to use the one way while racing the 27t stock class outdoors here in the UK.

Now if i can just find a few old P2K's i will be laughing.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im not building mine until I can get enough parts to build a ball diff for the front instead of using the supplied one-way. We race mainly on carpet here in the uk in stock so the one way wont do.
Not sure about that.... use 1-ways in my MSX all the time on carpet. Honestly... just give it a try first.

HiH
Ed
Old 06-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

We race mainly on carpet here in the uk in stock so the one way wont do. This is the only complaint Tamiya. Come on sort this out.
Did you not see the pics of the car from the Shizouka show?

It was quite apparent then that the diff gears would be different, otherwise why would Tamiya display them at the show

I don't see why Tamiya need to sort out anything regarding the front diff / one-way choice. This car is, in reality, designed for the huge Asian 23T and 27T markets - where one-way equipped shaft drives are more popular than anything else. Tamiya are simply catering to their biggest market.

It's the same reason why it's a problem fitting foam tyres to Tamiya cars - rubber is more popular worldwide - so that's what they cater to

Like Try Hard says, for stock I would definately give the one-way a try, regardless of surface. After having owned a MSX with double one-ways, I can say there's no way I ever want to use a diff again!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by XrayFK
Tamiya never fails to release several versions of the same car within months of each other.
Unlike XRay or Hot Bodies eh

XRay FX05 to T2 = 10 months

HB Cyclone to Hara Cyclone = 8 months

That's faster than any development of the 415 chassis or the TB Evo chassis
Old 06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

On our carpet track most will run a oneway when running rubber tires. For foam on the same track most wont run the oneways.

For years i could not come to grips with the oneway but last year i forced my self to set up the car around the oneway and its been great ever since, so good that i tried the diff after weeks of oneway and i found the car so slow in the corners.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Maiden voyage part II

gonna take her out for a spin again tomorrow.. this time.. ill be making changes to the kit set up..and see if i can get this badboy tailored my "aggressive" driving style.

keep you guys posted.

BTW.. the heatsink on this car is DIALED! very light.. huge fins.. with cooling vents for the motor holes.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bender

I never said that other companies didn't do the same either. Oh, you forgot te Cyclone S
Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bender

EVO 4 to EVO 4 MS also very fast they just release during IFMAR 2004 but after that during NOV 2004 before JMRCA i think if not mistake is YAMA YAMA CUP in Japan they had came out MS version.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Tech Rookie

I raced at Carpet Thrasnall Championship this year and used one-way all the time, its the only way to go, BUT I also race with the same club on the same carpet on a week night and always use a Diff. The only difference is the size of the track. Some tracks are just too small to use one-ways
Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Here's some pics of mine.

Last edited by danjoy25; 06-08-2007 at 02:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.