Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

I am loving that gear box casing long time. CNC'd from one block of billet with a front support as well. Work of art.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

this thing is the classiest shaft i have ever seen.

Curious...

in the lower left of Mike Schumacher's picture...

what am I looking at? (looks like there are 2 beveled gears with holes in it...)... I have never owned a shaft car....
Old 05-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
this thing is the classiest shaft i have ever seen.

Curious...

in the lower left of Mike Schumacher's picture...

what am I looking at? (looks like there are 2 beveled gears with holes in it...)... I have never owned a shaft car....
They would be the diff plates, how the power goes to the diffs requires a bevellled gear, to transfer the torque through 90 degrees to reach the wheels
Old 05-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

.....nice. When is the release date or arround abouts?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

The bevelled gears in http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...58#post2374558
are white..

the bevelled gears at the 45th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2006 are sorta brownish...
The brownish bevelled gears can be found at http://www.pro-s-futaba.co.jp/hsphoto/hs-1.htm
The pic is near the pics w/ the evo 5.

is there any difference? if there are.. what's the difference??

anyone know?

I have really taken an interest in the car... and just would like to know everyhting about it... before I go and buy it...
Old 05-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Tech Regular

i believe the stock gears (the white ones) are made of a similar plastic to the tamiya's high strength white diff joints, while the "browny coloured" gears are actually aluminium and are an option.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Tech Regular

might I add that Tamiya have outdone themselves with the TB EVO V, the new shaft layout where one end of the shaft is connected to the input cup while the other end is free to slide backwards and forwards is a great idea. Notice how the open cup has quite a long groove for the dogbone end of the driveshaft, allowing the shaft to absorb impact while still staying in the input cup and keeping constant drive. Seems Tamiya have read up on feedback on their EVO III (bevel gears stripping were the evo 3's BIGGEST problem) and integrated the EVO IV's dogbone shaft design for a revolutionary shaft design.

The choice of having aluminium diff/front one-way AND bevel gears would make for an absolute bullet-proof drivetrain. If other shaft cars had the aluminium gears and bevels I'd think they would break some teeth or grind in big impacts, but thanks to the new 'drive-train saving' shaft layout this wouldn't be a problem in the EVO V.

I'd say out of all the shafters, this one will definately be on top as of the release and I can't wait till I get the chance to grab myself one of these beauties.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:04 AM
Tech Regular

Will the EVO IV spool fit the Evo V?
Old 05-20-2006, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

if the aluminum bevel gears came with the kit.... oh.... d*mn........ that would be awesome....
Old 05-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

This car looks stunning as you would expect from a Tamiya EVO, think this is going to be my ride for the next season, will carry on with my old 415 for this year unless i get too tempted to bend the plastic again.

You got to love these EVO's a work of art in themselfs.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Draper
I am loving that gear box casing long time. CNC'd from one block of billet with a front support as well. Work of art.

Those housings are just magic aren't they

One of those most important aspects of having a durable shaft drive system is making sure that the input shafts and diffs are supported correctly in a precision aligned, very stiff housing. I don't think anyone could do a better job than what Tamiya have done with the Evo5 housings.

Whilst my 415MSX has been performing extremely well, I've been looking for a shaft drive to try. I had settled on the new Kyosho TF5 (I like red ), but now that I've seen the Evo5 (and knowing that the Evo5 will be cheaper) I think I will stay loyal to Tamiya
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

can i just say that the evolution series is the worst thing that has happened in the history of mankind. the 414 and 415 are awesome cars but he evos are a complete stuff up
Old 05-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

do you foresee this car being a stuff up? why?

i think if it still a stuff up car.. this will be the least stuff up from the EVO line.

this is the first car i am inclined to get that's a shaft.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

trust me i thought the evo 4 was gonna be good but i absolutely hate the thing. all shafts are pooey for that matter
Old 05-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by joelthedriftboy
trust me i thought the evo 4 was gonna be good but i absolutely hate the thing. all shafts are pooey for that matter
So your judging a new car upon which you have never laid your hands because the car Tamiya produced before it sucked?? Prehaps Tamiya have improved the design?? Prehaps you just couldn't setup the Evo 4 properly?? Prehaps you just gave up because you couldn't be bothered trying??

Maybe you should atleast try the new car out before striking up an opinion of it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.