Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Blueman; thanks for the help/info.

There`s no way I`m going to do any changes on a kit. If the company doesn`t make a major part for the kit; I just leave it alone.
I have 2 Ball Diffs($135.00 for the 2nd Ball Diff) in My Evo 5; it works well.

Why Tamiya doesn`t make a Spool for the Evo 5?

--If the Evo 5 MS has a Spool it would be a cool kit to get; but with how things are now(the prices of gas, food, electricity and tolls).....I won`t be getting it.
-Guys; tell me all about the new Evo 5 MS.

Take Care
Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hobbipro
I was going to order a MS from Rc Champ, they got them in yesturday, but by the time you add the price of the car, the bank fee, pay-pal fee, and EMS shipping your lookin at $480-$500 USD Wait till speedtech gets them, probably go for around $400.
So instead found a guy selling Evo 5's on ebay for $299 + S&h on fleabay, picked one of those up instead. Any building tips? It will get here next week. Most likely will go brushless, but I do have a 23T Tamiya motor I could throw in too.
That's more than a 416! :-(

I have no use for another sedan at all, but man I want this car for some reason.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The EVOVMS is around $390 shipped from RC Champ.
RcModel 399+45 shipping
Stella 409+40 shipping

I talk to Jeff from Speedtech and the kit will sale for about $500 in the states....and from what I understand tamiya will be raising the prices July 1st on all the Kits.

SuperiorHobbies quoted $480.....so they will cost alot in the USA.

Towerhobbies $619.00*

Once they are gone good luck finding one or pay Suggested cost.*

The EVO IV spool works fine with EVOV....but good luck trying to find one of those as well.

I love the EVO5 they are very fun for stock racing.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Guys I have been comparing the Evo 4 and 5 in pictures... and I just want to make sure I am correct:

They seem to use the same lower arms and knuckles... and that might be about it.

I am possibly buying a used Evo 4 (I believe I mentioned above) and I want to make sure i have access to parts. Are the parts for the Evo 5 hard to find? It seems like you guys are having some trouble finding parts. I am currently searching, and can't find anything, really.

Plus, the person I am getting it from had one of the shocks stolen (or is just missing) so I'll need to either find one of those shocks, or buy a whole other set...

I am deciding whether or not I should get this, or a chassis with parts that are easier to find. I can't say that I won't have a mishap with a wall and end up breaking a knuckle...
Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef
Guys I have been comparing the Evo 4 and 5 in pictures... and I just want to make sure I am correct:

They seem to use the same lower arms and knuckles... and that might be about it.

I am possibly buying a used Evo 4 (I believe I mentioned above) and I want to make sure i have access to parts. Are the parts for the Evo 5 hard to find? It seems like you guys are having some trouble finding parts. I am currently searching, and can't find anything, really.

Plus, the person I am getting it from had one of the shocks stolen (or is just missing) so I'll need to either find one of those shocks, or buy a whole other set...

I am deciding whether or not I should get this, or a chassis with parts that are easier to find. I can't say that I won't have a mishap with a wall and end up breaking a knuckle...
I have both an EVO IV & V. As a whole, the parts for either the EVO IV or V are rather easy to get. The suspension arms are different because the EVO V has shorter arms. Also, the turnbuckles as a result are different lengths as well. If one shock is missing, you might have to buy an entirely new set, so depending on the price of the EVO IV you're looking at, it may not be worth it. I'm not sure if Tamiya USA is still offering this, but they were blowing out the EVO IV at $250 plus shipping. In my opinion, the EVO IV has more reliable drive gears (input & diff gear), but is a heavier car. If you're going to run brushless, I'd suggest the EVO IV, but if you're planning on running stock, then the EVO V would be better due to the more efficient drivetrain.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

The price is VERY good. I'll leave it at that

Thanks for the advice--I feel a bit better about the buy. I don't mind the weight since I am going to be drifting and running on asphault. Right now there are no clubs in my area, but when I go to school in the city I am hoping either to find or start something there.

I am looking on RC mart in HK. The parts actually have a good selection-- I forgot that they put the TB1-5s all together in one area on the site.

[edit]

WRX, where do you get your parts? The turnbuckle is bent on the car, and I will need to get another one (or just bend it back...)

Also I am going to order some other back up parts like hubs, arms and knuckles--probably 1 set each. Are the arms able to switch from side to side? Like, are both the rear arms the same, (not designated as the left arm or right arm).

Are the screws included normally hex screws? From the pictures I have of the car I might buy, they have hex screws...so I am going to need a driver so I don't have to twist the little driver around. I am looking for a size of driver to look for.

Last edited by Mooshu Beef; 07-02-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Not to argue, but when I did the conversion rates for Rc Champ the car totaled in at $370 USD, then they charge a bank fee, something like $12, And they make you pay the pay-pal fee 4% I was quoted, then EMS shipping was all I seen that they offered to USA $80 maybe, they offer something else? I specifically emailed them asking how to order from US and this was the fee's they sent me.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Will the EVO 4 front spool fit the EVO 5? I found an EVO 4 spool from a seller in HK, but not sure if it can be made to fit or not.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hobbipro
Not to argue, but when I did the conversion rates for Rc Champ the car totaled in at $370 USD, then they charge a bank fee, something like $12, And they make you pay the pay-pal fee 4% I was quoted, then EMS shipping was all I seen that they offered to USA $80 maybe, they offer something else? I specifically emailed them asking how to order from US and this was the fee's they sent me.

I have no ideal what they was quoting you....on the EVO5MS

There us no banking fee if you are paying paypal.....just the Paypal fee that I do not agree with personally....but I been given them business for years, so I will not start on that.

Shipping was $40 for me on the EastCoast it took Three Day to get the Package.

I also order parts which after all was said and done I paid $430, which is way cheaper than stateside or getting the car esle where.

The kit is together with EVO4 spool.

the only mod I made was shave the Aluminum Spur Gear plate just to fit Larger pinion gears....88/48~50 4.2 FDR.

The car chassis is the flatest of all my kit, yet the tweak board showed a tweak on the Car as well as the center lift. I never had a balance set up problem or tweak to this level b4. I end up twisting the Chassis which balance the car.

SOOOOOOooooooo much steering..I dualed it out to about 65%.....the car is very responsive......handles better than my 416.....it stick to the track like no ones business. I did notice the huge amount of drag brake the the car has, since I did not change the setup profile from the 416......and brakes are crazy......this thing stops! like it has Brembro brakes. This car is an Infield Killer!

I will load up my pictures later.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by m3ndo5a

it stick to the track like no ones business. I did notice the huge amount of drag brake the the car has, since I did not change the setup profile from the 416......and brakes are crazy......this thing stops! like it has Brembro brakes.

Probally stick to track cause its got soo much bite and scrubs speed...May want to fix thats.

Better breaks than 416 with same profile..Lets see.A chassie has nuthing to do with braks..thats a speedo issue normally..that just shows car is scrubbing speed and bound up making car stop suddnly..
Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Has anyone located a shop selling the EVO4 spools? I thought Etamiya had them, but looks like they are gone.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What's the part no. for the front one-way and the spool?
Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Tech Regular

What's the difference between the drive line of the TB EVO 5 and the TB evo 5 MS?

According Tamiya the tb03 one way diff unit (#54057) is suitable for the TB03 and TB EVO 5 but is not suitable for the TB EVO 5 MS?!
Old 07-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The rear input shaft and gear holder assembly on the Evo V Ms are all new.

The gear holder has it's own shaft which interlocks with the rear input shaft.

This allows you to remove the spur gear assembly without effecting or removing the rear input shaft.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Vixon
Probally stick to track cause its got soo much bite and scrubs speed...May want to fix thats.

Better breaks than 416 with same profile..Lets see.A chassie has nuthing to do with braks..thats a speedo issue normally..that just shows car is scrubbing speed and bound up making car stop suddnly..

Scrub off is normally found going through a sweeper or making a turn. That has everything to do with how soft your car is or how much steerting rate you are using. I think my car is good.....no need to fix that it will make the SHOW.

The Point I was making that is being a "shaft drive" and not changing the ESC profile the brakes are much stonger than my belt cars....the tires, shock dampen, shock mount, droop, slight camber and drivetrain has something to do with brakes not just the ESC......if you tighten the tension on a belt kit the brake will be alittle strong but you risk eff% and your belt may "break" under pressure. Hint Hint.

Also,scrub off speed, track times or lap times is what determine the the loss of performance. Which in this case the car is 3tenth faster around the track.
....................................that enough to make everyone go re-wrench and bring out new tires..

The torso flex helps the car stick hard. And the fact that I have a mean Set up on the car......next time I will say "Dailed"......800collect..Yes I will accept charges it was good eveywhere on the track.

About the spool if you can find an evo4 spool get it, it will work in the EVO5 or 5MS.

I will get more pictures track side...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evolution V-dx3r-057.jpg   Tamiya TB Evolution V-dx3r-058.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.