Search

[{(Settings for TA0-4)}]

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

101% agreed
Old 01-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Tech Regular

You have to remember the TA04 is based on the 414 design. There are not many differences between a M2 and a hopped up 04. Many guys with M2s are still scratching their heads on the adjustability factor and look to world champs for answers + changes.

Bottom line... if you can get your 04 to run up front locally beating X-rays, Losis, Evos, 414s, etc... you have a good car and a good setup. If you cannot, I would suggest getting a lap counter and spend hours of quality time at your local track trying different setups.

Not being a pain just speakin from experience with my 04 and how well it runs.

Coop
Old 01-19-2003, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by psycho
I had a similar discussion about this with a buddy that I race with. Our conversation started off as an observation that the TA04 acceleration looks faster than <insert some other competition class car here.> I don't think it's the internal transmission ratio that would cause this because FDR is FDR regardless of how you get there. If anything, I would expect the TA04 to have worse acceleration because of the additional rotating mass of the huge pinion and spurgears compared to, say, a TC3. The only explaination that we could come up with was that the larger pinion and spurgears have less of an angle between the teeth (closer to a straight line) that allows a more efficient mesh of the gears and this translated into faster acceleration. It's a theory, but maybe an explanation for you.
Take this as you like but I've heard this theory as being attributed to Mike Reedy and pretty much everything I have ever read that comes from him has worked

for any pinion and spur combine to give an overall ratio... this ratio can be created from MANY different combinations of the 2... say you need a pinion/spur ratio of 2.5:1... this can be made by combining 75t spur with a 30t pinion or 70t spur with a 28t pinion (and heaps more but for this example I will use these 2)

The 75/30 combination will allow the motor to create more torque... it will make the car feel punchier out of the corners... the 70/28 combination will allow the motor to reach peak revs a little quicker so will appear to be quicker on the straights

how this works I cannot rightly explain but it does work in practice... ratios using smaller spurs seem quicker on straights, ratios using larger spurs seem to accelerate out of the slow corners better....

so leading on from that, if your track is mainly slow corners with only short straights a larger spur will work better.... a track that is more open and with longer straights will benefit from the smaller spur... in the above example the both combinations have the same top speed... its just how they get there that changes

I've tried this on a TA04R, TC3 and HPI Pro 2... and it does hold true in practice
Old 01-19-2003, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Interesting! I never knew that it would make a difference.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Well, the gears are never actually in constant contact during the course of a lap. So maybe during the motion of the pinion in that 1 millimetre gap between the teeth, a smaller pinion with less moment of inertia (is that the right term?), will yield a higher angular acceleration vs. a larger pinion.

I dunno................
Old 01-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

iso...... maybe....... but but ..... heheh maybe .... keep it as maybe...
lol

shadow..
hm ..... did mike tell u which one will blow out the motor faster ???
i will think its the 30/75 more rotating mass - momentum

ok ... heres my theory ....
think of a real sized car ... a heavier flywheel will give better power on slopes but slower acceleration on normal roads compared to a lighter flywheel which is vice versa...

a light flywheel will make u loose rev's and speed on the slopes!!!!
but lets u accelerate faster ...
WHY??
rotating mass- momentum .....
THATS why the bigger pinion will give better speed out of slow turns as it requires more torque !~!! think it as heavy flywheel and slopes ...

try this ... power up the car with 75-30 and 70 - 28 gearing to full speed then let off power ... which will roll further ...???
Old 01-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Very Interesting guys...Thank you fo your replies...you guys help me understand whats truly important...well i have one thing in mind try to understand the running conditon of my TAO4pro first then i will decide whether to get the TRF414 and better yet a little bit of practice and get my fastest time and race with the others and we'll see what happens...thanks guys!
Old 01-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Ey Badboy, we're from the same 'hood. I just want to know what motor are you using on your TA04 and what pinion size?

I bought a TA04R about a month ago but I haven't raced it yet. The nearest thing i got to a race course is the delapidated track in park square 1! I'm a bit shy dude... help me out get used the wonderful world of RC!

anywayz, i hope you can share me your setup like toe angle, camber, what springs do you use, etc. you know better coz i'm sure we'll be using the same race tracks.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

I've tried it last sunday, the 128 spur against 120, using 11t motor, i don't feel the difference, ngeeek!!!, or am i less sensitive.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Tech Initiate

As far as i know, you can't use the 128t spur on the stock 45t pinion (TA04-R) because the motor mount will prevent you from fitting it. What pinion did you use? how many teeth?

Yeah, probably because of your modifidied motor, you didn't notice the difference but I could feel it with my stock type RR motor.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Jbrian & wilfred: ey guys never expected you to be here at this thread... well fine with me to share what i know regarding set-ups but im not that good like the others from back home...u know ken salcedo, jot jao and the rest....ot my set-ups or i based them from the rc magazines and other conversation from threads like this one...these guys really do help you if you got poblems...geee thanks guys from the infos ...ey jbrian can i suggest that you practice your car either at fiesta or pasig kapitolyo tracks there are maintained and always raced at. But in park square well if you want to buy another RC kit or always change your parts well thats a good place to practice...what can i say its a parking lot an noboy maintains the tracks see you again dudes...

ey jbrian i used a green machine and before type t and type r well tried the other types though, any motor which has high rpm and high torque thats what i want and a little bit of luck in driving...hehehe!!!
Old 01-20-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Usually a 120/35 is a good place to start with stock. Usually you don't want to go lower on pinion just up from here depending on tracksize. Usually I run in the range of 35-38 pinion size and either 116 or 120 spur size.

If I ran 124 or 128 that would be for mods.

Coop
Old 01-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by gcooper
Usually a 120/35 is a good place to start with stock. Usually you don't want to go lower on pinion just up from here depending on tracksize. Usually I run in the range of 35-38 pinion size and either 116 or 120 spur size.

If I ran 124 or 128 that would be for mods.

Coop
Must be a damn small track...

I was using 120/45 on the weekend just gone with a stock and was undergeared compared to the fast guy in the club but only by about half a lap... will get there when the new batteries finally get here and I can gear up a bit

imataquito... if the weight of plastic pinion with 5 less teeth could make that much difference I think you could re-write the laws of rotating mass... I beleive the basis of the pinion/spur thing is based more on the affects of leverage and the way it effects the motor
Old 01-21-2003, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Where did u get your 116 spur, is it Tamiya?

5.5 to 6.2 ratio for me for stock, depends on the race track.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:00 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Just got

my 04R . Haven't put it together, going to order some hop ups before I get started on it. The chassis is nice and light

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.