Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
This new kit(any new Kit) put me in the A main Theory. >

This new kit(any new Kit) put me in the A main Theory.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This new kit(any new Kit) put me in the A main Theory.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default This new kit(any new Kit) put me in the A main Theory.

I keep reading threads that say that as soon as they got the latest and greatest, they immedietly jumped to a higher main so the car is great.
For example, a lot of people got the new T2 and say they improved from the FK05.
With all the cars in recent years being high end, I just don't buy this theory.
I will bet that instead of buying the T2, if somebody bought a new FK05 and built it from the ground up, they would improve.
Meaning, not to many people strip the car down and rebuild from the ground up after the initial build. If they did, replacing worn parts as they go, they probably would improve without the latest and greatest.
I'm not saying newer cars don't have better features and will improve your skills, but if somebody jumped from the C and D main up to the A main, I really don't see a car doing that.
I'm strictly talking about going from a current High End to High End.
Not, for instance, going from a Tamiya TT-01 to an Xray T2.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Scooby- You hit the nail on the head I can't remember how many times I've read "This car is dialed","this is the best car I've ever had","What a differance from my old car", etc.......

I don't see any big performance differance between any of the current "HIGH END" tourning cars. It's all about maintaining your car, but how many people change the pastic parts of the suspension and make sure none of the metal parts are bent????? I know I don't

Roly
Old 04-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

i totally agree with you scoobydo
Old 04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

VERY good points!

What I notice a great deal is that a new kit (any kit) will have less slop/play in the suspension, the bearings are smooth and free, the chassis isn't stressed (inducing flex), etc. etc. -- Thus it handles, drives, and GOES better/faster...

One local offroad racer used to replace his trucks/buggies every season -- even if he bought the exact same car he had. His theory (and it seemed to work was what I mentioned above) -- everything is new, fresh, and fits as well as it EVER will... His performance would pick up again each time he did this. The loss in performance and handling is so gradual you don't notice it, then you get that new "magic" kit and are faster -- but NOT for the reasons you think...
Old 04-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Back in the Aluminum Tub Rc-10 days. I would basically build up a brand new car before every big race i went to. I would put a shakedown run on the car one club race before I left for the event, and sell the old car afterwards. I was building about 4 new cars a year. The old one was never that worn out but it kept me with pretty fresh equipment.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

I have been in the habbit of rebuilding my cars from the ground up after each day at the track since day one. It started out for no other reason than me being anal but as I got better I found out this is really the only way to make sure that your car is at peak performance at all times. How else do you catch bent hinge pins or aluminum bulkheads, cracked plastic parts, worn bearings, etc?

This way it is not the car's fault that I am slow

I actually cannot understand why racers do not rebuild their cars more often. I understand that time does not always permit this but you got to be able to rebuild after each couple of days on the track!

We spend countless $$ on the latest, greatest, and best equipment. We spend countless hours at the track practicing. We spend countless $$ on the best set-up equipment. After all this you will still see people out there running with bent hinge pins, worn belts, gritty diffs, sloppy bearings, tweaked chassis, terrible shocks...etc.

I don't get it??
Old 04-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfrahm
VERY good points!

What I notice a great deal is that a new kit (any kit) will have less slop/play in the suspension, the bearings are smooth and free, the chassis isn't stressed (inducing flex), etc. etc. -- Thus it handles, drives, and GOES better/faster...
......then you get that new "magic" kit and are faster -- but NOT for the reasons you think...
My thoughts exactly!
These people that jumping 2 or 3 mains with a new car are simply just not maintaining their car or don't know what important parts to replace.
Eventually though, every car needs to be replaced. Which is when the "Magic" happens!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:46 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Also, when you've run the same car for a long time, you get lulled into the sense of "setup change 'A' works when the car does this, but I don't think I like B + C" When you start off with a new platform, you're a little more willing to try setup change B & C.

So even if your year old car is in perfect shape, and you still trade it for the newest race model XYZ, you might still see yourself as being better, as you are more willing to adapt your setup in ways you wouldn't have with the old car.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I learned in offroad to rebuild after every race day when your car would actually get worse during the course of a day due to the grit. I still rebuild my cars after every race day. It's the only way I am confident that everything is spot on. (this has also led me to be very anal about other areas of my life as well).
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koabich
I have been in the habbit of rebuilding my cars from the ground up after each day at the track since day one. It started out for no other reason than me being anal but as I got better I found out this is really the only way to make sure that your car is at peak performance at all times. How else do you catch bent hinge pins or aluminum bulkheads, cracked plastic parts, worn bearings, etc?

This way it is not the car's fault that I am slow

I actually cannot understand why racers do not rebuild their cars more often. I understand that time does not always permit this but you got to be able to rebuild after each couple of days on the track!

We spend countless $$ on the latest, greatest, and best equipment. We spend countless hours at the track practicing. We spend countless $$ on the best set-up equipment. After all this you will still see people out there running with bent hinge pins, worn belts, gritty diffs, sloppy bearings, tweaked chassis, terrible shocks...etc.

I don't get it??
I agree with all of this... plus there is a certain amount of "karma" that goes along with it all. Every race is alot but every couple of days at the track you gotta put a few hours into a good rebuild. Even if the car did'nt need it, it gives you a certain amount of confidence about what your running. (For example) Re-building shocks is the least fun way I could think to spend my time but if you don't keep them in good order there is no set-up that will get your car to handle correctly, ever.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

in my opinion, when I build a new car, it performs pretty damn well straight away. Probably because it's new!

this goes especially for my off-road buggies. a brand new, just built kit, will always seemed more dialed to me than an older 'looser' buggy...

fresh, virgin, new, tight, clean... precise! haha

this is getting a bit rude now
Old 04-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Like having a new girlfriend

My wife will kill me when she read this
Old 04-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

*cough*.. was about to say the same...

If there's any justification to add fuel to the fire is that i came to the same LOGICAL conclusion.

Simple really.. LMAO!!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I think alot of it has to do with team setup support.

I have put down some of the best laps ever with my T2. Not to mention that it's so much easier to work than any other car I've had to date. Instead of spending all that time wrenching, I can now make changes quick and hit the track. My TC4 felt good after spending three weeks of tring different things. The thing about Xray, they have so many team drivers to draw from that your bound to find a good setup that fits your driving style. AE and Losi have one or two sponsored guys to choose from and that's it. It's just bad luck they didn't work for my driving style. People make fun of Xray for giving out cars for people to race, but the little guy benifits from getting input and quick setups. You just can't complain about it. I agree a new car feels better, but my new TC4 never felt this good new.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with what's been stated. It is most likely the "new chassis factor". Nothing runs as well as a new chassis will the first times on the track before it gets stuffed into the pipe/wall a couple of times. Really doesn't matter what mfr's car either. It is a proven fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.