Search

tip's with comm lathes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 09:45 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Manticore
twister suggested to go by half or quater marking
Is a Twister coarse thread or fine thread?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:46 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Sydewynder
What happens if you don't have a HUDY? What do you use to judge?
You go out and buy a Hudy!!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:47 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Markings? What markings? I guess Orion doesn't believe in markings.
It does...there is a set screw to hold the wheel in place....use that as 1 mark Sydewynder!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks alot dtm. Curses on you. May the other arm on your RC Surfer fall off.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:20 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Thanks alot dtm. Curses on you. May the other arm on your RC Surfer fall off.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

..........Then may the swimsuit fall off. A
Old 12-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Talking lathes

thats all cool stuff anyone heard stuff about runnin a ballpoint pen between the winds on the armarture to get rid od bis si your comm that are stuck there after i've been told you can get small shorts in your motor if you don't and youll lose performance

if ur goin fast ur still not gonna be the best
Old 12-19-2002, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: lathes

Originally posted by fasterdanu
thats all cool stuff anyone heard stuff about runnin a ballpoint pen between the winds on the armarture to get rid od bis si your comm that are stuck there after i've been told you can get small shorts in your motor if you don't and youll lose performance

if ur goin fast ur still not gonna be the best
Yes but it's between the comm segments (slots) that you just cut. I use the back of an exacto knife to clean out the shavings there. The ball point is also suppose to take the sharp edges off at the slots.
Be careful and make sure you don't scratch your newly cut comm.

Last edited by Sydewynder; 12-19-2002 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

so, only one person has their own lathe?

for those who don't have their own...how do you tru your comm?
Old 12-20-2002, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default DIY Com lathes

Unknown;

I chuck the Armature shaft in a Hand Drill clamped in a Vise, then use a fine file to true the Com. Finally I smooth the Com with some 180 grit sandpaper. Works GREAT, you wouldn't believe the power I am getting out of my motors.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Unknown, I'm pretty sure pops was kiddin- don't do your comms that way.

To answer your questions:

-yes, most racers have their own lathes. If you don't have one, ask one of the guys at the track (preferrably when he's not real busy) to cut your comm for you. Almost everyone likes to help, especially help new guys.

-you should clean between the segments with the back of the x-acto knife AND run a ball point pen down the separations to soften the edges. Those sharp edges can prematurely wear your serrations off the brushes.

-if you have a diamond bit AND you haven't run the motor until the comm is apple core shaped, you don't have to cut in stages. Just set the bit to the deepest point on the comm (somewhere in the wear marks) and then go left and back right. That should get all or almost all of the worn areas with one swipe.

-most comms are shot around .265". I wouldn't chance cutting it past there because you may damage something or throw chunks of copper while cutting.

-around here, people who don't have their own lathes (and don't care enough to ask on of us to cut their comms for them) just run their motors until they die and buy another. They last a LOT longer if you cut the comm every 3-6 runs and keep the brushes serrated or replaced.

-some brushes will run longer without need to turn the comm. Lightspeed has some that only lose like 3% power on the dyno but will run an easy 8-10 packs without needing anything more than cleaning.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tips with Comm Cutting

Instead of adjusting your blocks to fit your armature, you can adjust it once with your largest arm and add a couple of mm to it. Afterwards, whenever you need to cut ANY comm, just put it in and use a small pinion on the shaft to lock it into place on one of the blocks. Use washers if needed and always use lube.

When finished cutting, one of the best things you can do to clean the segments is to cut up a business card or the header card of a package and use the new corners to clean instead of an exacto. In case you slip using a card, you won't have to recut the comm. Also, to round off the edges as some do with a ball-point pen, you can simply fold the card in half and use the double-thick point to round the edges of the segment. Afterwards, motorspray all the poo out and you should be set to go, lickety split!
Old 12-20-2002, 09:33 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Hudy recommend that when you have cut the comm, run the exacto knife through the segments and then put the comm back onto the lathe and run it through again. Of course, make sure you do not adjust the depth from the final cut! This has worked very well for me!
Old 12-20-2002, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

can i see some pics of comm lathes...

also, how much do they cost?
Old 12-20-2002, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by unknown
can i see some pics of comm lathes...

also, how much do they cost?
go to Hudy.net if you want to see comm lathes. Hudy makes the best comm lathe out there. If you wish to buy a lathes, hudy.net also offer online shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.