Community
Wiki Posts
Search

radio setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Default radio setup

sup guys i need a lil recommendation on what radio setup to get. so far i thinking of......... M8 transmitter, novak XXtra reciever and novak GT7 esc. is this a good combo? what steering servo should i get?
Old 12-18-2002, 09:58 PM
Suspended

im gonna be racing it.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds good. For a steering servo I'd say a JR Z8450, KO 2143, Airtronics 94757Z or Futaba 9450. If you can't afford those look at some of the less expensive Hitec digital servos. Definately go digital. I used to solely run analog servos, and since I changed to my JR Z8450 I'd never go back.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

that setup is awesome, but unless you're gonna go with that spectra module for the m8, i would get a smaller receiver. personally i use an xxtra, but it's tight. without that module you still need to have crystals for the transmitter to switch frequencies. i dunno, it is nice to just turn a dial or two.

servos...i'd agree with lab driver there. i've got the s9450 and the 9550 low profile both from futaba. while they aren't the fastest around, they are solid and i love them both. the low profile is awesome. combine this with a tiny esc and receiver, and you can put them anywhere. the others are just as good and even faster. i'd go with any of them. i've heard lots of good things about the ko digital servos. i've always wanted to try the 5925 from hitec, but i doubt i ever will. btw - i think there is a servo thread out there.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:01 PM
Suspended

i know the setup is on the high side. and im flat broke. do u guys have any alternatives without sacrificing a lot on performance? i kinda like the 3pjs too but its got a lot of features for nitro that i dont even need so its out of my list. i wanna get the m8 w/rx and 2 servos but a lot have experience glitching.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

hey dude,
i think i screwed up... that spectra module is for a hitec radio i think. but i know at the chicago show, novak had a module for the m8 that acts like an extra...a dial or two and...voila. a new frequency. that's what i was referring to. my bad.

well, your list is top notch. if you are looking for value then maybe...

- radio
jr xr3
- receiver
std xr3 (don't know #, but it's fairly small)
- servo
hitec 5925 (speed is important here) or
futaba 9450 for $83 new on ebay right now with a buy it
now. you can always find these new for about 80. i dunno,
but a few guys constantly sell them for cheap here. i can give
you a few names if you like.
- esc
don't skimp here. i think the gt7 is the best priced. although
you can pick up a cyclone in good shape for around $50 used
anywhere. the quantums and keyence are tiny, buy you'll pay.
gm v12 is nice as well.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The new Futaba 3PK is a really good radio with the HRS receiver. You should be able to pick it up for around $260. Personally I like it better than the M8 and JR-R1.

It does require a digital servo. Any of the above mentioned are fine. Really depens on how and where you drive. If you are strait electirc touring you only need a JR XR3i or Airtronics MX3. Both of these controller have every feature you need for electric and can be purchased with receiver for under $160. You can take the $100 you save and get a couple new GP3300's or some good motors.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

What about the new Airtronics MX-3? Seems to have all the features at a reasonable price. For myself, I love all the features of a computer radio (3PDF). Can't wait to get my 3PK after Xmas.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Wow, I am the only one here that runs a 3D radio. I will agree with the other guys though, I think a XR3I or a MX3 will do everything you want for racing electric and they are very nicely priced for what they feature.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Suspended

is the XR3 and XR3i the same or different? i kinda like them but i dont think they sell just the tx and rx. i dont wanna use the standard servo that comes with it. do u guys know where i can get just the TX and RX?
Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Suspended

hmmmm.. juz wondering.. is the Z590M that comes with it good for racing?
Old 12-21-2002, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

i think the xr3i is the newer version. i saw a few at my track. i believe it has a few more features for the same price. steering exponential is one that i thought the new one has. a very good tuning feature. i see no reason why the receiver that it comes with (z590m???) couldn't be raced. it is fairly small and the jr radios seem very good in regards to glitching. there's really no way around the std servo ordeal. just give them to someone just starting out. you can always look for a used radio where the servos are often omitted.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:57 PM
Suspended

actually the Z590M is not a standard servo, they said its a high torque steering servo. juz wondering if i can use it for racing
Old 12-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

you've really got to check the specs on it. just saying high torque or high speed is not really sufficient. it should move 60 degrees in no more than .12 sec, and have at least 70 oz-in of torque at 6 volts. most high SPEED servos meet these criteria, but the high torques are usually still quite slow.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:41 AM
Suspended

the bad thing about jr is.....they dont have specs on their servos. ive been looking for the specs and came up empty handed. but i think its got about 60oz of torque and dunno the speed. u think i should use this servo for racing? i mean if standard servos arent that bad, why not this servo? i still see people racing with standard servos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.