Search

Most durable TC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Most durable TC?

My father is a little rough with his TC (smacks some boards pretty hard). However, breaking when he hits boards is getting frustrating for the both of us. I often end up working on his TC3 and we'd both have more fun if that happened less often.

So my questions... Do you guys think the FT TC3 is more fragile than a lot of the newer cars? Of these newer cars what do you think are the most durable and the easiet to work on? Parts support at the loacl shop would be a good thing as well, Xray, Corally, Losi, AE, and Tamiya are all supported locally.

Thanks for any help.

Ike
Old 04-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ike
So my questions... Do you guys think the FT TC3 is more fragile than a lot of the newer cars? Of these newer cars what do you think are the most durable and the easiet to work on? Parts support at the loacl shop would be a good thing as well, Xray, Corally, Losi, AE, and Tamiya are all supported locally.

Thanks for any help.

Ike
I've heard the Pro 4 is indestructible ..... if that’s what your after...

Have you tried a "Rubberneck Bumper" in place of the standard AE one..... That’s what I run and they are very, very good .
Old 04-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

This sport offers great Father/Son relationships. Usually the father works on the cars though. It's quite fun to have it reversed Don't be mad at your father I'm sure he doesn't do it on purpose.

TC3 can be made pretty sturdy if you get better bumper. BRP and RPM both made great ones if I remember correctly. I built one out of aluminium that reached to the edge of the body I was using, then I used larger foam.
Of current cars I think X-Ray 05 is the strongest. That model has been replaced but you should be able to get used one at good price.
All parts will break if you use enough force.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Myself and another guy at the track came to the conclusion that X-Ray and Schumacher make extremely durable cars
Old 04-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go fabricate a bumper like this:

http://www.tamiyarcschool.com/home/home.htm

Old 04-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tamiya cars a always durable. The TA-05 is strong and better than my TC4 or my TC3. The TC3 is the most fragile car I have ever owned. All the suspension parts are weak. I have owned 2 TC3's and 1 TC4. In my mind the TC3 was the better car but definately not durable.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

I've been learning to drive with an Xray FK05 and have to say that this is one tough car. I can't believe how much abuse it will take.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ike
My father is a little rough with his TC (smacks some boards pretty hard). However, breaking when he hits boards is getting frustrating for the both of us. I often end up working on his TC3 and we'd both have more fun if that happened less often.
As the father who needs help from my son with touring car (I can do my own 12th scale, though others may differ with that opinion), I would definitely say X-Ray (either an older FK-05 that you can pick up used - I even have one available) or the new T2 (which my son is getting ready to put together for me for the asphalt season). You definitely want the Rubberneck or equivalent bumper on any TC.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would definatly go for the FK05 in toughnes-department, had it for six months, and didn't brake a thing!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

FK05 is the tank of all the current R/C cars.

done
Old 04-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

any chassis from XRay is your answer.....XRAy were built for extreme abuse.....
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Another Xray vote......I have only broke one ball link/cup. And that was when the rear wheel got snagged by a screw sticking out of a board on the longest straight....The same hit probably would have ripped the entire rear suspension off a TC3/4.....
Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The most durable is the old Xray T1 with pillow ball suspension... even better than the 05
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The most durable car I've had was the HPI Pro2..
car was built like a Tank.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Default You must be kidding

Asking about the most durable TC is like asking the Madam in a cat house for the most virtuous girl.

The cars are designed for pro drivers who don't hit things.

Broken car parts pay the rent for Hobby shops and are profit centers for car manufactures. I understand that RC tracks are not that profitable; but that does not excuse making no effort to reduce car damage by placing some kind of cushioning at key points on a track to protect the cars.

Think about it, how hard would it be to add a few milimeters to the bumpers and to the chassis behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels to protect the suspension?

It's not just the company's fault, if racers purchased cars on the basis of reliability and durability instead of who won the last big race, the companies would eventually change.

The bigger problem is the whole culture of RC racing. With current technology you could have TC cars which:
1. Could hit a hard board or pipe at full speed at any angle and not damage the car.
2. Had a motor and drive train which could go a whole season without a rebuild.
3. Tires which could go a whole season without a replacement
4. a battery which can power a stock motor for 5 minutes and be re-charged and ready to go in 45 minutes for the next heat.

Losi, Associated, X-Ray, Kyosho, Tamaya could easily market cars which were highly durable and virtually maintenance free. ROAR and RC tracks could encourage and sanction these kind of cars

Instead the RC Industry and culture prefers a world of fragile cars, $200 chargers, expensive over powered short lifetime batteries, tires with 3 "good" runs in them, motors requiring weekly use of a lathe and brush replacements, $90 transponders containing 90 cents worth of electronics, etc.

Yes, I know there are dozens of reasons against what I am saying.

What can not be denied is that the ratio of RC vehicles purchased to RC vehicles raced is easily 30 to 1 or higher. The ratio of time spent working on RC cars to actually racing them is at least 30 to 1.
A sport/hobby which can be incredibly fun and is incredibly attractive to teenagers virtually locks teenagers out because of its cost structure and time requirements.
Under 25s should outnumber over 25s, 10 to 1 instead of the other way around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.