Wiki Posts
Search

Your thoughts on "Slow is fast"

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Your thoughts on "Slow is fast"

I was able to qualify for the B Mains at my local track this past race weekend, but I had to do some very aggressive driving to do it. I took someone's advice and tried to stay "on throttle" through the turns (letting up a bit of course), but I found that I had to really anticipate when to turn (i.e. turn early), to clip the turn at the correct point. If I judged a turn wrong (early or late), things would get a bit messy. The car wasn't setup for this type of driving, but I have a pretty good idea of what I need to fix. Overall, I had a lot more fun driving this way.

Afterwards, a buddy of mine at the track said that I was too much on the throttle. He reminded me that "Slow is fast" - which I fully understand, but when I drive slow (i.e get completely off the throttle entering a turn and then accelerate out), I'm too slow. Because we have a very tight track, with 12-16 turns depending on how it's layed out for the day, driving fast isn't so easy. I realize that any mistakes cost time, but I would rather try driving fast and get in the B Main than drive slow and qualify for the C/D Main. My thoughts are, that I can always work on my driving and throttle control.

Am I taking the wrong approach? Do you guys take the "Slow is fast" approach or do you stay on throttle?

I'm still very new at this (4th race), so I could use all the advice I can get!

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

i think the term should be"smooth is fast". overdriving is the problem most people have in races. get to the track by yourself and drive around it as slow as you need to run the best line. the more you practice this way the faster you will be able to get around the track. on race day never race the other cars. run the line that you learned while practicing and you will be faster than before.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Smile

Practice as much as possible and you will get faster over time you can't come out to a track expect to be as fast as someone who puts in long pratice hours or someone who been racing for years from exprienece it takes time that why tracks have different classes to race and A -D mains etc.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For some of us, we don't have a permanent track to practice on. The parking lot we race on is not available till race day. I find it hard to practice else where. The conditions are not the same.

For me "slow is faster" most of the times. Too slow is not to good. There are times when you got to step up your drivng and get aggresive.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

when you negotiate a turn, you must do it with the least possible distance travelled and the smoothest. I found out in my driving if i just get every corner very well, i get good laps. i also try to as much as possible not to use too much brakes.

most of all, it's in your set-up. there's a guy in my track who set up his car such that he can throttle on corners and still travel the least possible distance. He actually has the fastest lap time in our track. Our track is also very technical.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Originally Posted by RoyU
For some of us, we don't have a permanent track to practice on. The parking lot we race on is not available till race day. I find it hard to practice else where. The conditions are not the same.

For me "slow is faster" most of the times. Too slow is not to good. There are times when you got to step up your drivng and get aggresive.
So do you ever race major events?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
So do you ever race major events?
No, I haven't. Would like to race a major event, but I'll probably get in everyones way.

It'll cost alot for me to travel to the mainland to go racing to attend major events Can't drive there, have to fly. Living in the middle of the pacific has its disadvantages.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Honestly, it should be called smooth is fast. Basicly, the best way to run fast is to find a fast line and stick with it. The biggest problem is to setup your car so you can stay inside that line as fast as possible.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Honestly, it should be called smooth is fast. Basicly, the best way to run fast is to find a fast line and stick with it. The biggest problem is to setup your car so you can stay inside that line as fast as possible.
exactly!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Years back Robert at Ashford gave me these two pieces of advice:

1) where you are on the track is a lot more important than how fast you are going
2) tires win races, motors lose races

Those pieces of advice have helped me a lot.

Tz
Old 04-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

hey I think that "slower is faster"is the best thing that happen to my driving skills. I would take my throttle down to about about 80-85-90 percent. Then i would try to stay on the "fast line" believe it or not my lap times were the same as when i was at 100%. My line was so much smoother. then we i hgot the hang of the line i would turn it up and just try to drive the line and not to try to hard to drive it fast. so i think"slower is better"
Old 04-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

A car that is well set up will dictate how fast and smoothe you get around. Its typicaly a long list of every thing working correctly including the traction, sun, temp.,ect.etc..........
Old 04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RoyU
No, I haven't. Would like to race a major event, but I'll probably get in everyones way.

It'll cost alot for me to travel to the mainland to go racing to attend major events Can't drive there, have to fly. Living in the middle of the pacific has its disadvantages.
Hey guys Swauger is not smooth....But he is ballistic...aggresive .....and animal on the track.....dont get me wrong smooth is good....but remeber you dont have to be smooth to be fast you just have to be able to control that aggressive style and have a car that can handle it
Old 04-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think when everyone on a small technical track race "slow is fast" with smooth entrance and exits you can have a good race. But when you get my son racing with you (he's 15) that race's in a style I call "out of control but in control" he is impossible to beat. I know its because of his super reaction to what the car is doing. If he hits a corner to fast and the car goes loose he can quickly react to that condition and still haul a_ _ through the corner. I consider myself a "slow is fast" driver but when we are in the same heat and I'm racing my butt off and see him coming up behind me I tell myself and sometimes say out loud "your not getting by me" he will throw that car around me like I'm standing still. BTW he got first, I got second for the season at Hobbytown USA parking lot races in Minnetonka MN. So I believe "out of control but in control" or aggressive driving is the fastest way around a track. It is hard on tires so a balance of smooth and aggressive is needed at long races.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks guys! You've given me a lot of good advice and ideas for the next race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.