Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Walter and I ran the chassis with the plate on. Well be testing the car without the plate next week at another race track.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

I was looking at the Serpent site and saw part (803187) Break pully one way. Is that setup to make the 720 act like it has a center diff ??? If so, would that part compliment a front oneway and make it have the same characteristics as a gear diff but with a posi ?

I'm interested!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:49 PM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
I was looking at the Serpent site and saw part (803187) Break pully one way. Is that setup to make the 720 act like it has a center diff ??? If so, would that part compliment a front oneway and make it have the same characteristics as a gear diff but with a posi ?

I'm interested!
Please read this post by Julius http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=1923

I orderd mine yesterday from the-border
Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcpanama
Hi, did you take the carbon plate off?

RCPANAMA
We had to use the carbon plate because this track has lots of front traction.
Anyways, in my case there was no way to use the chassis without the plate since I had to disconnect the front slwaybar to prevent from traction rolling.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER

I'm interested!

Its not a diff action. It will be engage only if the brake and trottle applied.

During off trottle the car will glide very free just like asuming the middle belt is taken off.

If using this with one way It does not make any big different but smoother because it will disengage the rear transmission with the middle belt.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Julius
The idea of this option is to improve drivetrain efficiency and smother off throttle handling.

When you run a longer main, you will get different wear rates front and rear. Most of the time you will wear the reas faster than front. In the long run this will mean the drivetrain gets bound up, as the fronts will want to turn slower than rear. The 3rd one way as we call it helps to free up the drive train during off power phases (like coasting through corners). This helps to smooth out the handling mid corner.

It feels sort of running a front one way (when you are actually running a diff) without losing the braking power.

Also because of the way the 3rd one way is setup, you will also find you get more steering under braking when running a diff or spool up front.
Using this option we loose the brake on the rear tires? If we loose (I guess so), the brakes will be less eficient.....
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The idea of this option is to improve drivetrain efficiency and smother off throttle handling.

When you run a longer main, you will get different wear rates front and rear. Most of the time you will wear the reas faster than front. In the long run this will mean the drivetrain gets bound up, as the fronts will want to turn slower than rear. The 3rd one way as we call it helps to free up the drive train during off power phases (like coasting through corners). This helps to smooth out the handling mid corner.

It feels sort of running a front one way (when you are actually running a diff) without losing the braking power.

Also because of the way the 3rd one way is setup, you will also find you get more steering under braking when running a diff or spool up front.

Thanks Julius......so let me ask you,would you still be able to run an overdrive set up?...
Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Test of new chassis

I will be testing de car with the new chassis on March 11, so as soon as I have a result will posted in this forum.

This is my 720

RCPANAMA
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 720-serpent-720-2.jpg  
Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 AM

RCPANAMA, what's that thing on rx battery cable.. it seems to be a good protection against rubbing..

Asil
Old 02-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asil
RCPANAMA, what's that thing on rx battery cable.. it seems to be a good protection against rubbing..

Asil
This is a Braided tubing it is very good for protection of the electrical wire, I have a VXR LiPo battery and a NOMADIO SENSOR that have a Telemetry with the temperature that it is also protected with the tubing.

This is an example http://www.flexowrap.com/pdf_files/catalog/pet.pdf

RCPANAMA
Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcpanama
I will be testing de car with the new chassis on March 11, so as soon as I have a result will posted in this forum.

This is my 720

RCPANAMA
i like that dial a tune thats cool
Old 02-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
Using this option we loose the brake on the rear tires? If we loose (I guess so), the brakes will be less eficient.....
i think you are miss under standing how it works you have to see on the car or how the assembly looks. it does not take away any more brake than you put on or take off . its a tunning option it may not work for every one driving style
Old 02-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by captian
i think you are miss under standing how it works you have to see on the car or how the assembly looks. it does not take away any more brake than you put on or take off . its a tunning option it may not work for every one driving style
Well... It is a oneway on de 24t pulley. It means that the oneway will engage on the on-throttle scenario. When you apply the brake, the oneway will desengage..Isn't it correct? I mean, with this optional we will only have brakes on the front wheels.....
Can anybody confirm it for me?

regards

Eduardo
Old 02-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Well... It is a oneway on de 24t pulley. It means that the oneway will engage on the on-throttle scenario. When you apply the brake, the oneway will desengage..Isn't it correct? I mean, with this optional we will only have brakes on the front wheels.....

regards

Eduardo
yes you are right how the oneway works but think about what you said about the front wheels .the only way you get four wheel braking is with a solid up front. the oneway and the diff up front the wheels spin at two different speeds when you are cornering off power
Old 02-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default New Ackerman

Hi Guys

Does anybody have more info on the new ackerman for the 720? For example, the diff insert positions and the result of each insert position. Which position will give you more steering and which insert position will give you less steering?

Thanks

Acid
Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

regards

Eduardo
The thing you are missing is that the brake disk is connected to the 24t pulley directly and not via the one way. That means that when you brake the rear wheels will always brake. And only when the fronts are turning faster than the rear (which would be the case when the rear starts to lock up) the fronts will brake too. This has the effect that you lose less steering under braking!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com

The thing you are missing is that the brake disk is connected to the 24t pulley directly and not via the one way. That means that when you brake the rear wheels will always brake. And only when the fronts are turning faster than the rear (which would be the case when the rear starts to lock up) the fronts will brake too. This has the effect that you lose less steering under braking!

hi julias....would it still be possible to overdrive the car using the one way brake pulley?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by fastharry
hi julias....would it still be possible to overdrive the car using the one way brake pulley?
Hey man, good question..

Asil
Old 02-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fastharry
Yes, it would be my next question. When the front tires are smaller than the rears, the front will always turn faster then the rears. On this scenario, the oneway will be engaged even on off throtle. when the rear tire is smaller than the front, the oneway will always be disconected (the rear would turn faster then the front). May be this is the purpouse of this hop up, it may equalize the tire wear. Good discussion...

Thanks Julius for your support. That's why serpent rocks...
Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
ALG
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Paolo M
Setup 720 Ft Myers

Hi Guys,

Attached you will find the setup i use at the race. It is pretty much the same we had posted at the race. We basically change the front springs.

Please don't hesitate in asking any question. I may take a little to answer but i will try my best

Happy Racing and Enjoy

Hi Paolo: did you made a tire change on the final? looking at your times I can see a looong pit stop or did you had a problem on the track.

Regards from Peru!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know if Serpent is going to offer a 720 to 720 07 update/conversion kit?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Does anyone know if Serpent is going to offer a 720 to 720 07 update/conversion kit?

Thanks!
Not sure if they will offer a kit, but the items will be available to purchase. I also sent you an e-mail with the info you requested. If was too big for the PM mail

DJ Apolaro
Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Not sure if they will offer a kit, but the items will be available to purchase. I also sent you an e-mail with the info you requested. If was too big for the PM mail

DJ Apolaro
Hi DJ:

Can you please post the list of itens here?

regards

Eduardo
Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Hi DJ:

Can you please post the list of itens here?

regards

Eduardo
I am not really an employye of serpents, just a driver/Tech helper. Your best bet is go to the serpent.com web site and It will show you everything you need. Just check out the 720/07 version area.

DJ Apolaro
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, it would be my next question. When the front tires are smaller than the rears, the front will always turn faster then the rears. On this scenario, the oneway will be engaged even on off throtle. when the rear tire is smaller than the front, the oneway will always be disconected (the rear would turn faster then the front). May be this is the purpouse of this hop up, it may equalize the tire wear. Good discussion...

Thanks Julius for your support. That's why serpent rocks...
Umm, I think you have it backwards. When the front tires are smaller, the front drivetrain will want to turn slower, not faster...of course it's the same with the rear...maybe you're thinking that the actual tire will have to turn faster to keep the car going the same speed???
Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Not sure if they will offer a kit, but the items will be available to purchase.
Okay. I'll keep an eye out for the list of parts.

I also sent you an e-mail with the info you requested. If was too big for the PM mail

DJ Apolaro
Sweet! You da man! I'll check it out as soon as I have access to my email. I guess you're ready for the next one.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Not sure if I'm completely correct, but it looks like the differences in the 720 '07 are: black chassis, nylon adjusting nuts (pivot balls), CVDs up front, adjustable ackerman servo saver, and a "Lemans type" bumper as an extra...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luke W
Not sure if I'm completely correct, but it looks like the differences in the 720 '07 are: black chassis, nylon adjusting nuts (pivot balls), CVDs up front, adjustable ackerman servo saver, and a "Lemans type" bumper as an extra...

Also the "upgraded fuel tank with o-ring sealed AFL lid" and the "new hard plastic suspension parts".
Here's what it says on the website:

The Serpent 720 07 in Brief

The new main features of the Serpent 720 '07 are the inclusion of front CVD shafts, extra one way front shaft with lock set, nylon adjustable pivot ball nuts, upgraded fuel tank with o-ring sealed AFL lid, servo saver with adjustable Ackerman, new hard plastic suspension parts and a new black anodised chassis plate.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Luke ,
Hows those CVD's holding up? Mine are doing Great...A big Plus added to my car.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1FastSerpent
Luke ,
Hows those CVD's holding up? Mine are doing Great...A big Plus added to my car.
The 720 07 will include CVD for the front according to the website.

The description says:
Driveshafts

The 720 '07 comes supplied with the finest Spring Steel driveshafts capable of withstanding constant punishment; these shafts are ultra durable and very stiff allowing you to put all your power to the tarmac. The rear of this car uses dogbones while the front uses the supplied CVD shafts.

I'm not sure what the part number of the "new" CVD (OR if it's even new for that matter). However, here's how the "old" CVDs look like:
http://www.serpent.com/image.php?ImageID=40456&size=350

And the "new" ones that's included in the 720 07 look like this:
http://www.serpent.com/image.php?Ima...68125&size=350

They look different and may be new and the description says spring steel material.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.