Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Team Tamakaze? LOL!

hahah those are some awesome pictures DJ.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

DJ- wondering if you ran the new LCG chassis, and I am wondering about how you cut your body, it looks like from the couple pics from Serpent site, that you run just one big cooling-refueling hole right over the tank, leaving the whole windshield intact. wondering if this gives more steering, or how cooling is like this? Also wondering which ackerman, and which front ratio gearing you used, the 3mm split gearing or the stock... Thanks for the info!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
DJ- wondering if you ran the new LCG chassis, and I am wondering about how you cut your body, it looks like from the couple pics from Serpent site, that you run just one big cooling-refueling hole right over the tank, leaving the whole windshield intact. wondering if this gives more steering, or how cooling is like this? Also wondering which ackerman, and which front ratio gearing you used, the 3mm split gearing or the stock... Thanks for the info!
Yes, I ran the LCG chassis. I run just the larger hole for the fuel area. It gives plenty of colling for the motor. I have not noticed a big difference in steering, but if helps for the fueling in the mains. Long ackerman and I run the stock ratio.

DJ Apolaro
Old 06-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default LCG chassis

Just wondering weather the low center of gravity chassis would be suitable for low to medium grip level . I have a pretty good set up for these conditions at the moment , just wondering if there would be a major benefit.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks DJ, did you run the 3rd one way, or have you tried it, what do you think? Thanks again, the level of support from guys like you in here is one of the reasons I bought a 720 this year....
Old 06-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
Thanks DJ, did you run the 3rd one way, or have you tried it, what do you think? Thanks again, the level of support from guys like you in here is one of the reasons I bought a 720 this year....
I have not yet tried the 3rd one way. Any time I can help I will. Glad to see that I can help people with the products I use.

Regards,

DJ Apolaro
Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHAT THE PURPOSE OF THE 3RD ONE WAY IS?WILL IT BE USEFULL IF I AM RUNNIN A ONE WAY OR IS IT BETTER TO USE IT WITH THE FRONT END LOCKED? THX FOR ANY INPUT!
SERPENT 720 Q-BORO BOMBER
Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

I run the third one-way. The best thing that I can say about it is that it does not matter how much your tires wear, the drive is constant. I ran my 720 at 301 and the car felt fine. When I took it off the track I noticed that my rears were 54mm and my fronts were 58. The car tracked and handled fine! In fact, the car felt as if it accelerated harder. I did find it interesting that not many were using the 3rd one way at the CC race. I have not run my 720 with the locked front...yet!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default THIRD ONEWAY

I RUN THE 3RD ONEWAY WITH OVERDRIVE CONVERSION,WITH A FRT DIFF 80,000 FRT 50,000 REAR ,WITH FRT OVERDRIVE THE FRT TIRES WEAR FASTER THEN THE REAR .I RAN IT AT KRACEWAY AND WAS VERY ,VERY IMPRESSED WITH THESE PRODUCTS FROM SERPENT
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Hey guys, I just finished building my first Serpent 720 and I must say the car is simply dialed! After seing the Serpent guys run at the Capital Classic I must say I was impressed. I do have a few questions though, so any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. First, do you guys run the universals or the dog bones? I've heard mixed opinions on this and would like to hear more. Also, what do you guys think about the mid one-way kit that serpent makes??? What does it do for the car? Last question is do any of you guys run the ball diff for the rear? How does it compare to the regular diff?

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
Hey guys, I just finished building my first Serpent 720 and I must say the car is simply dialed! After seing the Serpent guys run at the Capital Classic I must say I was impressed. I do have a few questions though, so any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. First, do you guys run the universals or the dog bones? I've heard mixed opinions on this and would like to hear more. Also, what do you guys think about the mid one-way kit that serpent makes??? What does it do for the car? Last question is do any of you guys run the ball diff for the rear? How does it compare to the regular diff?

Thanks in advance...

Congratulations! You will not be disappointed

do you guys run the universals or the dog bones?
I ran dog bones for a long time and they work really well. Now I have universals in the fronts and I'm liking them. They are also very strong (trust me, I crash tested them ).

Also, what do you guys think about the mid one-way kit that serpent makes???
www.nitrokb.com has a FAQ page for the 720. A very good read and there you will find info about the 3rd one way.

do any of you guys run the ball diff for the rear? How does it compare to the regular diff?
I ran ball diff on my 710. They are both diffs so the action is technically the same. I like the gear diff better because of low maintenance.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Thanks in advance...
Great to hear you like the car. I feel that Serpent has a good overall feel and gives the driver some room to grow as their talent progresses.. In the area of the axles that we use on the 720. If you run a solid axle in the front of your car you should run a dog bone setup. The way you get them in your car is to set the car width to 198mm and cut the ends of the dogbones flat as to give you more room for up and down travel on the arms. If you do not cut the ends of the dogbones it will limit the travel you get from the front of the car. We are all running solid axle setups as they provide a more consistent lap over the five minutes and you really can run the car as hard as you can drive. When you run a one-way setup the car has to be driven in a manner that is smooth and accurate and gives the driver a fast lap but less consistent over the five minutes. The reason serpent switched to the gear diff with the grease is for more consistent diff action over the five minute period. If you use the ball diff you can adjust the diff as you go but need to be aware the diff changes as it heats up. Hope that helps. Dj has some pretty good setups and would be a good start for most drivers.....
Rafael
Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

what do you guys think about the mid one-way kit that serpent makes??? What does it do for the car?
Thanks in advance...
It will definitely give you faster corner speed if you have the 3rd one way.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Thanks guys! Looks like for now I should start with the dog bones up front. I will be running the spool up front so I will get to see how they hold up. The track I run at is long and kinda wide open (301 raceway in MD)......I would think the one-way up front with the mid one-way would be the way to go (lots of corner speed) but I like the consistency of the spool.......guess I'll try both. Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rangulo
Great to hear you like the car. I feel that Serpent has a good overall feel and gives the driver some room to grow as their talent progresses.. In the area of the axles that we use on the 720. If you run a solid axle in the front of your car you should run a dog bone setup. The way you get them in your car is to set the car width to 198mm and cut the ends of the dogbones flat as to give you more room for up and down travel on the arms. If you do not cut the ends of the dogbones it will limit the travel you get from the front of the car. We are all running solid axle setups as they provide a more consistent lap over the five minutes and you really can run the car as hard as you can drive.
Rafael

Interesting!! I have been running the spool with the CVD's but did not know that there were limitations to arm travel when using them. I think I will test the dobbones and see how it works.

Thanks
Gael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.