Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Not that I know of.

DJ
Old 05-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Use 803166 bumper. If you run TC you might have to shape it a little, but it is much stronger.
Use 808346 ball in the rear position on rear arm. It is steel, the threads are longer, and larger in dia. so they won't push in.

Dave

Last edited by X1 Hybrid T1; 05-29-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

i broke 2 of the lower plastic bumper support already. i ended with NOT installing the 2 inner/center screws that holds the top and bottom plastics of the bumper. only the outer screws and clips holds the foam and top/bottom plastic bumper support in place. without the 2 screws, it now relieves the stress on the lower plastics at each bumps (especially head on) as the top plastic can freely bend inwards.
don't know yet the side effects of this approach
Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
I have a question...
I have been running my 720 and absolutely love the thing. There is a weakness. The damn front bumper support. That thing broke when I was in a race this weekend. The body was misaligned and made a mess of the front end of the car. This is the third one that has snapped since I have own the car. The funny thing is that my car was not harmed or damaged anywhere else. Besides the 710 bumper conversion, does Serpent or any other manufacturer make a more sturdy front bumper??

Hi there

Use the Le Mans front bumper... once you put it on, you won't have to change the front bumper again... plus you get better steering

Acid
Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Acid
Hi there

Use the Le Mans front bumper... once you put it on, you won't have to change the front bumper again... plus you get better steering

Acid
I dont understand why the steering would be effected when running a lola style front bumper ? I see no correlation there.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by redsand
I dont understand why the steering would be effected when running a lola style front bumper ? I see no correlation there.
Hi there

I am not 100% sure but I believe that the Lola bumper protrudes more than the std bumper. So, by default if you mount your body with the Lola bumper, you will have to mount it further front to cover the all of the Lola bumper. Hence, you end up with more steering...

This is what I meant

Acid
Old 05-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi there

I am not 100% sure but I believe that the Lola bumper protrudes more than the std bumper. So, by default if you mount your body with the Lola bumper, you will have to mount it further front to cover the all of the Lola bumper. Hence, you end up with more steering...

This is what I meant

Acid
Ah I see So, it is not directly related to the lola bumper.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by redsand
Ah I see So, it is not directly related to the lola bumper.
nopes, not directly related... but if you install the bumper, I believe you will have to mount your body further forward..

Acid
Old 05-29-2007, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

Hi Guys

Has anyone got more info on the adjustable ackerman for the 720 (803192)?

How do you know which inserts gives you more ackerman and which one gives you less?

Thanks

Acid

You basicly have four positions. In order of ackerman the order is as follows:

short and wide
short narrow
long wide
long narrow

Going from most ackerman (biggest difference betweein inner and outer wheel angle) to smallest ackerman.

Especially going from the short to the long settings you need to adjust dual rate settings to make sure the steering lock is the same.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Julius
You basicly have four positions. In order of ackerman the order is as follows:

short and wide
short narrow
long wide
long narrow

Going from most ackerman (biggest difference betweein inner and outer wheel angle) to smallest ackerman.

Especially going from the short to the long settings you need to adjust dual rate settings to make sure the steering lock is the same.

Thanks Julius, appreciate the info.

Acid
Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
I do not use the 720 front bumper that comes in the kit. I use the optional one that is like the the one for the 710. Never had any problems!!
Are you referring to this one?

http://www.serpent.com/product/803197
Old 05-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the ackerman info Julius, which settings do what , in terms of overall steering, etc... which setting gives most steering, which gives least... Thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RoyU
Got the 3rd one way today. As I was assembling it I could not get the e clip that holds the 1st gear/one way bearing on. I pulled the shaft out and layed it side by side next to the stock shaft and found that the pin hole for the 2 speed adapter is closer to the end by about 1 mm, the shaft itself is shorter by about 2 mm.

Anybody has this problem also??
Yes, I also had this problem with the 3rd one-way shaft. Mine was about 1mm closer to the 2 speed pin hole from the cir-clip groove than the stock shaft, making it impossible to assemble the clip onto the 2 speed. I just used the stock shaft and ground a new flat for the slightly different position of the drive pulley set screw. I also had missing parts from the 720-07 kit (front CVD's, front one-way & fuel tank O-ring) replaced within days to my dealer, so I am happy with Serpent's customer service. BTW, one of the front one-way locking pin holes would not line up with the out drive hole by a tiny amount requiring a drill through with a slightly larger drill bit. Not a big deal, but you would think that this would be CNC controlled and should be caught by QC. It seems that their quality control may be slipping a bit in a rush to get the new kits out the door.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

As all parts have a tolerance sometimes the combination of both will create this problem. However in this case sometimes installing the outdrive 180degrees opposite will solve the problem. Then both tolerances cancel out.

Originally Posted by Dan_E_RCTEC
BTW, one of the front one-way locking pin holes would not line up with the out drive hole by a tiny amount requiring a drill through with a slightly larger drill bit. Not a big deal, but you would think that this would be CNC controlled and should be caught by QC. It seems that their quality control may be slipping a bit in a rush to get the new kits out the door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.