Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by it
I am just wondering...

I usually True my Tires to 62 mm. Is 62 mm still thick or just enough. After a 5 min heat. My rear tires goes down to 60 mm. Am I using a soft compund tires or just my suspension is too stiff?
Depending on other setup aspects, 62 should be fine. Wear is a function of shore, track surface and driving style.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 AM
it
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sow&Steady
Depending on other setup aspects, 62 should be fine. Wear is a function of shore, track surface and driving style.

I forgot to metioned I get more Wear on the rear Tires than the front tires. I do know that the motor is little bit on the rear and also inertia pulls the car forward. Should I True my Front Tires Thinner than than the Rear, so the tires would be balance after few minutes?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah and where's the promised video tape cyclops?

On the way... sorry that it's late...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
On the way... sorry that it's late...
No problems, better late than never right?

Thanks for sending it!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by it
I forgot to metioned I get more Wear on the rear Tires than the front tires. I do know that the motor is little bit on the rear and also inertia pulls the car forward. Should I True my Front Tires Thinner than than the Rear, so the tires would be balance after few minutes?
Yes, for wear reasons and also for the fact that most car has front over-drive.

1mm smaller in the front minimum or go to 2mm if you're experiencing a lot of rear wear. This is assuming you're using standard side gearing.

I normally run my 720 with harder rears than fronts; eg 42 rear and 40 fronts.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default clutch

I need to know which is the right distance measured from the end of the crankshaft to the top face of the spring nut for a serpent centax 3 clutch. That's why I am unable to get proper alignment between the pinions and the 2-speed gears. I have to try some different flywheel collar. Thanks!

Marco
Old 05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Got to run my 720 for the first time on Sunday, and what a blast!

I started racing electric cars back in 1986 at the age of 13. I've always wanted a nitro on-road car, but never got around to getting one. Recently I decided that if I didn't get one now, it might never happen.

Despite some problems with my throttle servo, the car ran very well. I've since figured out the problem (transmitter needed to be re-calibrated) and can't wait to run the car again! It's definitely tricky driving a car where the slightest input on the trigger results in the carb opening halfway!

Special thanks to DJ, Doug McNeely, Paolo, and Mark Unger for all the help and getting me pointed in the right direction.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
If you can wait just a little while, Serpent USA will have them.

DJ
Hi DJ:

Do you know when will serpent usa get this battery/regulator?

regards

Eduardo
Old 05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
Hi DJ:

Do you know when will serpent usa get this battery/regulator?

regards

Eduardo
Not sure of a date, just keep a look out on the serpent-usa web site. Or send a e-mail to Doug with any questions.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Blackarrow- there is no "right" distance from the end of the crankshaft to the end of the clutch nut, that was true on some older clutches, but not for a centax3... You want to make sure you have your clutch built properly, you do not need a washer between the motor and collet, just collet, flywheel, then clutch nut, you should see some collet behind the flywheel, the other important thing on assembling the 720 for proper gear mesh is to make sure the 2.5 mm thick spacer is in between the right side bearing and the 2nd gear of the 2 speed, it is easy to miss in the directions, see page 25, step 6.4 of instructions to see this spacer....If aal these things are right, you should be able go get the gears to mesh just fine, both side to side and front to back, there is a lot of room on the bottom motor mount screw to adjust mesh both ways...Set the clutch spring nut, the end gap on clutch bell WITHOUT the bearings, and then shim most the play out of the bell with the bearings installed, and it should be ready for the track! Hope this helps!!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Setting the clutch nut by measuring from the end of the shaft is what some of the Mugen guys are doing. It was recommended to me by Francis M (9.3mm) for my MTX-4 and it how Swauger (9.5mm) stated he setup up his clutch in the article he did for Xtreme RC cars.

Because each car's centax3 implemenation is slightly different, I'm not sure how this would apply to the 720, but it seems like something Team Serpent could investigate and comment on.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The main reason I would not set the clutch spring nut to the end of the motor shaft is, every motor's pilot shaft is a little different, so the 9.4 or whatever reference number you would be using will change with different motors... If you measure off the end of the clutch nut itself, that will never change, unless you change clutch nuts and they are different lengths....Basically the way you do a Serpent clutch, it wouldn't matter if the pilot shaft of the motor was 2MM longer, or shorter, you just shim the thrust stack- T nut so the gaps are correct, and set the spring tension the same every time...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't remember the relative distance and differences but before you grind down, try fitting it again. Don't forget that the pulley adapter is different to stock so the spot where the allen crew goes is different too.

Are you sure you placed the black beveled spacer in the right place?
With the shaft not mounted in the car and just the 2 speed adapter installed, the adapter covers the slot for the e clip. Maybe just a bad shaft.

Anyway I emailed Serpent and they will replace the shaft.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RoyU
With the shaft not mounted in the car and just the 2 speed adapter installed, the adapter covers the slot for the e clip. Maybe just a bad shaft.

Anyway I emailed Serpent and they will replace the shaft.
OK, sounds like a one off bad shaft.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=blackarrow]I need to know which is the right distance measured from the end of the crankshaft to the top face of the spring nut for a serpent centax 3 clutch. That's why I am unable to get proper alignment between the pinions and the 2-speed gears. I have to try some different flywheel collar. Thanks!

Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 720-720-clutch-setup.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.