Serpent 720

Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kyoshosan
Hi All,

Anyone running an O.S engine on a Serpent 720 ? I own a OS .12 TR-T R Spec and i tried to fit the Centax III on it, but the flywheel does not fit on the engine collet, it stays far way from the front bearing. Anyone had this problem before ? Should i change the collet ? is there a special centax for OS Engines from Serpent ? Thanks in advance.

Alex Kyoshosan
www.copainferno.com.br
It is normal for the flywheel to not entirely cover the collet.
I suggest building the entire clutch first and check if you can setup the gap correctly. If all parts fit as intended, the "large" gap might be just optical.

Some engines require you to use the collet that comes with it as the diameter of the crankshaft is different. An example is the Mega ZX.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default to all tunners

To ALL

I have a tuning question. I've noticed with full scale cars they tend to run alot of front camber and little rear camber F1 super V8, touring etc.. If the laws of physics that govern racing remain the same why is it opposite in rc racing.

My second
Tire and dampening selection
How do you choose a tires for an event considering there's so much you can do to gain grip.

Why do you choose the dampening you do, again considering that there are piston options and oil packages to choose from.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trickd122
To ALL

I have a tuning question. I've noticed with full scale cars they tend to run alot of front camber and little rear camber F1 super V8, touring etc.. If the laws of physics that govern racing remain the same why is it opposite in rc racing.

My second
Tire and dampening selection
How do you choose a tires for an event considering there's so much you can do to gain grip.

Why do you choose the dampening you do, again considering that there are piston options and oil packages to choose from.

Thanks

Well there is a host of reasons for the differences in the two things you said. One thing that is truely important to keep in mind is that RC cars have more grip that would a real car, more power in comparison to its weight. These cars are all tires and engines..

With the way roll centers are placed in rc cars to optimize their handling; tire wear and tire contact patch is maximized to make them handle as they do. Real cars always have an understeer problem. They try to make them steer more but it becomes a problem finding a good balance. It really is a different world these toy cars and wrightly so. If you were to compare the size of real shocks to RC car shocks they are a bit out of preportion. Our shocks are way to big; you might think by looking at them, comparing them to real cars..

We also use more caster and distribute our weight differently!!!

Hope that helps!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by asil
hi, in my 710, it says to use collet that comes with the kit. but can not remember the case for 720??

Asil
the 720 also says the same in its manual -i.e. to use the collet that comes with the engine.

i ran an os12tz-p-t5 on my 720. the engine did not come with any collet, i used a kyosho collet part which my lhs suggested. i did notice it has a bit wider gap between the crankcase and flywheel but i was able to trim out the gap. i think my engine's running fine...
Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Weight distribution is totally different from a V8 touring car, compared to a 1/10th touring car. I also noted a lot of caster in the v8 supercars, but then again, i also saw a lot of camber, which seems it has become less this year around... The cars are just different, although the same calculations apply, the variables are different because they're just different cars...

And well, formula one, have you ever run a Lola body on the 720? guess where those grip levels on a formula one come from
Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 PM

guys, when the word comes to F1, when we can decrease the amount of air enters under the chassis then downforce will be higher.. because air passing over the body slows down but under the chassis it just passes and because of velocity difference there appears pressure difference and air tends to lift the car.. I think they use diffusers on F1 cars to direct air flow to sides.. if we discuss about this we can make good projects on our rc cars

later

Asil
Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by asil
guys, when the word comes to F1, when we can decrease the amount of air enters under the chassis then downforce will be higher.. because air passing over the body slows down but under the chassis it just passes and because of velocity difference there appears pressure difference and air tends to lift the car.. I think they use diffusers on F1 cars to direct air flow to sides.. if we discuss about this we can make good projects on our rc cars

later

Asil
Somebody here in the Netherlands (Roelof) tested the 'skirts' on his 1/8th scale, it seems to work, car setup needs to be changes drastically. Don't know if it's usable... speed of the car also changes because there is more drag from air suction under the car.. since you can't really change a lot to the chassis plate it would mean you need to design a new car... i think
Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rangulo
Well there is a host of reasons for the differences in the two things you said. One thing that is truely important to keep in mind is that RC cars have more grip that would a real car, more power in comparison to its weight. These cars are all tires and engines..

With the way roll centers are placed in rc cars to optimize their handling; tire wear and tire contact patch is maximized to make them handle as they do. Real cars always have an understeer problem. They try to make them steer more but it becomes a problem finding a good balance. It really is a different world these toy cars and wrightly so. If you were to compare the size of real shocks to RC car shocks they are a bit out of preportion. Our shocks are way to big; you might think by looking at them, comparing them to real cars..

We also use more caster and distribute our weight differently!!!

Hope that helps!!

Thanks Angulo,

That answered the 1st part ....Now the second part.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Could someone please tell me the part number for the 24T pulley that goes on the new oen way brake pulley adaptor.

Thanks
Simon
Old 03-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

It maybe 808229, but I'm not too sure. Can someone confirm?

Sorry if im wrong!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Tech Rookie

http://www.serpent.com/product/802344
Old 03-11-2007, 12:54 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
It maybe 808229, but I'm not too sure. Can someone confirm?

Sorry if im wrong!
Thanks nigelnuggets,
That looks like it to me. It would be good if Serpent put this part number with the set.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B4
Thanks nigelnuggets,
That looks like it to me. It would be good if Serpent put this part number with the set.
That is the correct part. #808229

The one in Eben's post is the normal one.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone run the Orion .12 CRF in their 720? How do you like it and did you have to change the gear ratios like most have with other cars?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neptune
Does anyone run the Orion .12 CRF in their 720? How do you like it and did you have to change the gear ratios like most have with other cars?
pm impalabob64 he knows all about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.