Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Most of your complaints can be fixed with a good front bumper

http://cefxraceway.net/?mainURL=/sto...b8yi/CEFX.html
30050 Associated TC5 Kydex Bumper

The chassis honestly is plenty stiff. The bearings are not a great size. I have had an exploded bearing in the rear hub.

I ran the original diffs in the car for like 4 months, no rebuilds, before putting the aluminum halves on because I wanted to. Sweet.

Good luck
Do you have a pic of that bumper? I think I'm going to get one, just curious on how they look.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

they have them at "the Track" that is where i got mine
Old 12-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey george. whats up man. well it looks like i will be treatin myself to a tc5 for christmas good to be back running touring on carpet again since my tc3 days at southshore. cant wait to race with ya brother. see ya soon
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

so is there another belt being released soon or are we left with the bomber belt? If that's the case then is there another belt that may fit on the rear?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wallstreet
they have them at "the Track" that is where i got mine
Cool...I'll be there Saturday.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by STLNLST
so is there another belt being released soon or are we left with the bomber belt? If that's the case then is there another belt that may fit on the rear?
have you had a chance to go on the ae forums there juho and craid can answer all questions you have for the car. And that question was asked and the belts that are fine once broken in. Both belts on my car are awesome and the rear belt i cant run in the #1 anymore cause its to loose almost
Old 12-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wallstreet
have you had a chance to go on the ae forums there juho and craid can answer all questions you have for the car. And that question was asked and the belts that are fine once broken in. Both belts on my car are awesome and the rear belt i cant run in the #1 anymore cause its to loose almost
Been running mod since I got the car and yes the belts loosened some but they are still very tight. There's a reason why most of the team guys were using the bomber belt at the IIC though.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

i will get you an answer
Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

+1 on the belts being to tight. I just got finished re-building my car and had the center shaft and diffs spinning nice and free, but then I added the belts and now it wont even make a single rotation no matter how hard you turn it... I am looking for a Yokomo BD belt, but no one has them in stock. If someone finds them, please let me know.

oh yeah, and adding the BD belt wont change the trans ratio right?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

no... i think the yok belt just has like 1 more tooth than the ae belt

** never sat down and counted

I would also like to just add that ROBK and myself do not run for associated or anything like that... we both simply have been running the cars to death on the carpet with foam tires trying to get this thing squared away. So anything we can do to help , as far as answering someones questions are comming from a couple of guys who have learned a good amount about this car . We really like the car and are only using the parts available to us and everyone else who doesnt run for associated. I just dont like that on other threads there is alot of racers helping racers and on here alot just come to bash the car. The best way to get this car running good for everyone on all types of tracks is to not bash the car but help each other out.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Been running mod since I got the car and yes the belts loosened some but they are still very tight. There's a reason why most of the team guys were using the bomber belt at the IIC though.
Hardly most of the team, Craig had a Bomber belt on his rubber car to see if it made a difference. In mod you can't tell a difference.

The low friction belts will be a running change in production. I'm not sure which belts the new kits come these days. The older belt says UK on it, the newer one is UG if I remember correctly.

Even the stiffer belts are fine after they have been run for a while. I know it might take a while to run them in with a stock motor though. On the positive side they will pretty much last forever.

As for the parts durability, in my opinion the TC5 is one of the stronger cars out there. In Cleveland we ran new stiffer caster blocks and arms that are supposed to be more brittle than the standard parts. We didnt break a single part there. Everything will break at some point. It is a race car and you always have to compromise between weight and durability.

I'm not sure why the engineers chose the 6x10x4 bearings but in all honesty I dont think the size makes a huge difference on how well they last. The ceramic ones will make your drivetrain a bit free'er but will break more easily and cost 2-3 times more.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Click on the picture here above for a full detailed building process of the TC5.

Victor
Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JuhoL
Hardly most of the team, Craig had a Bomber belt on his rubber car to see if it made a difference. In mod you can't tell a difference.

The low friction belts will be a running change in production. I'm not sure which belts the new kits come these days. The older belt says UK on it, the newer one is UG if I remember correctly.

Even the stiffer belts are fine after they have been run for a while. I know it might take a while to run them in with a stock motor though. On the positive side they will pretty much last forever.

As for the parts durability, in my opinion the TC5 is one of the stronger cars out there. In Cleveland we ran new stiffer caster blocks and arms that are supposed to be more brittle than the standard parts. We didnt break a single part there. Everything will break at some point. It is a race car and you always have to compromise between weight and durability.

I'm not sure why the engineers chose the 6x10x4 bearings but in all honesty I dont think the size makes a huge difference on how well they last. The ceramic ones will make your drivetrain a bit free'er but will break more easily and cost 2-3 times more.

thanks for the info.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default diff halves

i was running a 27turn motor in my tc5 and things were cool. then i put in a 19 turn and i started melting my diff halves. the diff ring was melted into the diff half.

Anyway any pointers or suggestions on tuning my diff would be much appreciated.

are the halves known for being week or is it just me?

Holler back
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

What happens or appears to happen is that the diff rings slip against the diff halves. Some were glueing the rings to the diff halves and or using a little silicone grease to help keep them secure.

If neither of these options work then you could always switch to aluminum outdrives with the pin cushions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.