Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC5 >

Team Associated TC5

Team Associated TC5

Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks. Not to sound like a d!ck but I realize that. I should have been more specific, my bad.

How do you adjust for that with the foams and bladder?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Knight Rider
Thanks. Not to sound like a d!ck but I realize that. I should have been more specific, my bad.

How do you adjust for that with the foams and bladder?

Actually, I'm with you there. I find it difficult to get small amounts of rebound even with the small piece of foam/no foam. I imagine I have too much oil...

Anyone have tips on how they build their shocks? I'm so used to the standard AE shocks?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I notice on the U.S. set up sheets that the rear arm mounts are 3A Rear and 2A front. This is pro squat correct?

(edit)
Whoops, I think that I read this wrong... Both the rear arm mounts are 3A I think...

Last edited by B4Bandit; 07-21-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use the Platinium Lipos in my TC5 and use these on the front part of battery tray to secure batteries:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LX2778
Old 07-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Unreel.... Got my kit and start to put the diffs together... The nut piece that the nut goes into... Well when you put the nut in the diff and tighten it, it breaks off the ears... both of them, so now I have two broken diffs.

Any ideas????

I attached a picture to show you what broke right off, with hardly any pressure.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC5-nut.jpg  
Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Unreel.... Got my kit and start to put the diffs together... The nut piece that the nut goes into... Well when you put the nut in the diff and tighten it, it breaks off the ears... both of them, so now I have two broken diffs.

Any ideas????

I attached a picture to show you what broke right off, with hardly any pressure.
Are you sure that you had the nut properly seated? It has to go into the T-holder quite snugly and it is hard to get in.

If the "t" bits snapped off while you were tightening the diff, this may have been the case because the t's would have gotten to their stop point well before the bolt was tightened.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any ideas????

I think B4bandit is correct...something wierd must of happened when you put the diffs together...sorry that happened man, that sucks...when you get new nut-retainers, use a medium sized phillips head to push the nut all the way into the retainer...you probably did this...but something strange happened...can you explain how you build diffs in detail? maybe that might help all of us solve this so you can get back out on the track again...

Sean
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Any ideas????

Sorry to hear of that...they are available though as I got spares. 2 things to check. As pointed out, I used a dowel pin to seat mine and even a slight tap with small hammer to be certain. And also, DO pre compress the spring to help pull it in some before putting the diff together. If you didn't do that you are pulling extra torque against those tabs, that could possibly contribute to your problem. Other then that... over tightening, and defective nut retainer is about all thats left.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Tech Adept

Breaking off those ears can happen if you install the bolt and t-nut on the wrong sides of the diff halves. I almost did it and caught myself before I did any damage to the t-nut.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Thanks guys, the problem I did not have the nut all the way in, so I thought I could pull it into place... Opps....

What I did is cut the tabs out and used an allen wrench (the same size as the nut) and it work great, so I have a T-nut with out the tabs...

Building the shocks... boy that was fun... Does any one have any suggestions how to get the top foam in place, following the directions it wrong when I take the cap off and look at it... I'm thinking of using a socket to push all the parts for the top in place first...
Old 07-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by B4Bandit

Actually, I'm with you there. I find it difficult to get small amounts of rebound even with the small piece of foam/no foam. I imagine I have too much oil...

Anyone have tips on how they build their shocks? I'm so used to the standard AE shocks?
If you want almost no rebound forget about the foams. I never use them myself.
Here's how I build mine:

1. Fill the shock with oil
2.Push the shaft almost all the way in(about as far as how much rebound you want)
3. Put the bladder on the shock and press all the extra oil out so it sits nicely on the shock. You can use your finger or an allen wrench to get the extra oil out. It's a bit easier to get the cap on if you pull the shaft out at this point. It's easy to get air into the shock though, since you get negative pressure in the shock.
4. Put the black piece on the shock
5. Put the rest of the cap on. I normally put the threaded piece over the black one and hold the black piece against the shock with my finger while tightening the threaded(blue) piece.

I hope this helps
Old 07-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JuhoL
If you want almost no rebound forget about the foams. I never use them myself.
Here's how I build mine:.......
Hey thanks Juho, that sounds good, I'll fix them this week.

Any big races for you coming up soon? Good luck man

Cheers,
Warwick.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the real question is, why does the car have that same nut in cup system that HPI had 10 years ago,and prooved to be such a problem,that the pro 4 and cyclone went to the moulded nut like associated?...

and while I'm at it,I'm really thinking of this car....I will get the chance to drive one next week...among a field of 07's......and I looked at one real close for an hour yesterday......

I found the slop in the car,esp the front hubs and ball bearings,to be little disconcerting......compared to the 07 sitting right next to it.....

why no rubber pin sleeves to get some life out of the outdrives,and take up slop?....

also,I didn't notice any place for screw on weights.....

I thought the sway bar system to be very nice,I esp like the lower mounting points......and the car looks less complicated than the 07...a little cleaner,if you will......

balance is critical for me.....has anyone weighed the car,side to side,with a 4800 in it?.........

anyway,these aren't flames....just looking for a new car to replace the pro 4........which,BTW,with a brushless 4.5.is proving to be way less maintenance than the 07's I'm running against........I've been using the same set of rd 30's since the HPI challenge in oct last year,and have 20 heats on the tires in the last 3weeks........the 4.5 comes off the track at 122 degrees.....thethe diffs,now that I've shimmed them....(and went to the CYCLONE nut)...are great....

from what I can see,the 07's are a bear on tires....and no one seems to be able to gear the car with a 4.5....the guys are coming off the track at 170 degrees...

BTW,how are the gearing options on the car for brushless?.....do all the gears fit?.....and tire wear on asphalt?......

thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastharry
the real question is, why does the car have that same nut in cup system that HPI had 10 years ago,and prooved to be such a problem,that the pro 4 and cyclone went to the moulded nut like associated?...

and while I'm at it,I'm really thinking of this car....I will get the chance to drive one next week...among a field of 07's......and I looked at one real close for an hour yesterday......

I found the slop in the car,esp the front hubs and ball bearings,to be little disconcerting......compared to the 07 sitting right next to it.....

why no rubber pin sleeves to get some life out of the outdrives,and take up slop?....

also,I didn't notice any place for screw on weights.....

I thought the sway bar system to be very nice,I esp like the lower mounting points......and the car looks less complicated than the 07...a little cleaner,if you will......

balance is critical for me.....has anyone weighed the car,side to side,with a 4800 in it?.........

anyway,these aren't flames....just looking for a new car to replace the pro 4........which,BTW,with a brushless 4.5.is proving to be way less maintenance than the 07's I'm running against........I've been using the same set of rd 30's since the HPI challenge in oct last year,and have 20 heats on the tires in the last 3weeks........the 4.5 comes off the track at 122 degrees.....thethe diffs,now that I've shimmed them....(and went to the CYCLONE nut)...are great....

from what I can see,the 07's are a bear on tires....and no one seems to be able to gear the car with a 4.5....the guys are coming off the track at 170 degrees...

BTW,how are the gearing options on the car for brushless?.....do all the gears fit?.....and tire wear on asphalt?......

thanks
Het Fast Harry,

I can see where you are coming from in regard to the slop, and I don't know what Associated plan on doing. Frankly I can't see that much of an issue because the cars are doing very very well. And pin sleeves - I don't know but I don't think that they are necessary.

In regard to balancing etc, you need to read throught the past 20 pages or so of these posts (and also check out the 5 cell threads) because it seems that many people aren't worrying too much about exact balance and it isn't costing them much in lap times. There are some weights of the car posted earlier but I don't know if it factored in the batteries, also discussion about gearing. I don't think any of the mod guys are having trouble.

Wait until you wheel the car. Everyone has found that with the right setup, this car is really very good - quite easy to work on (pinion gears are a little tricky to change). Good luck!!!

Warwick.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4Bandit
Het Fast Harry,

I can see where you are coming from in regard to the slop, and I don't know what Associated plan on doing. Frankly I can't see that much of an issue because the cars are doing very very well. And pin sleeves - I don't know but I don't think that they are necessary.

In regard to balancing etc, you need to read throught the past 20 pages or so of these posts (and also check out the 5 cell threads) because it seems that many people aren't worrying too much about exact balance and it isn't costing them much in lap times. There are some weights of the car posted earlier but I don't know if it factored in the batteries, also discussion about gearing. I don't think any of the mod guys are having trouble.

Wait until you wheel the car. Everyone has found that with the right setup, this car is really very good - quite easy to work on (pinion gears are a little tricky to change). Good luck!!!

Warwick.

the slop does bother me,I have to admit....when my PRO4 seems like a better car quality wise,It makes me think thunder tiger RTR quality has hit AREA 51....

even my TC3 nitro,and B4 seem way better plastic wise.....

but,if you guys are happy,its worth a shot...

I read the last 20 pages,but didn't see anything as to adding weights,or if there is a place to screw on weights(I read the manual also)....

and as far as gearing,I noticed on the o7 xray,the higher drive ratio combos don't work.......the spurs get to big and stick out the chassis,and the motor wont take a 13 tooth with the biggest spur....so I wanted to know,if anyone is having problems with gearing the car so it can run a 4.5 bl at a COMFORTABLE temp,,,,,

btw,how easy is it to change those roll center blocks for the roll center and anti squat?...

Last edited by fastharry™; 07-22-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.