Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
T-Bang Hobby Technology - Vancouver, Canada >

T-Bang Hobby Technology - Vancouver, Canada

T-Bang Hobby Technology - Vancouver, Canada

Old 09-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigDaddyT
That's another good guess! Unfortunately, "not yet". Very soon though now.

We have selected the ESC - which will be the LRP TC. It is a fantastic controller and is the first "next gen" controller from any of the big mainstream guys. It is very smooth and easy to handle.

Motors will be coming soon -- just waiting to get the newest ones into the lab from our suppliers.

The news is bigger though!
T,
can you give me a part number for the speedo and the best place to get one?
It looks very likely that the WCICS series is going the brushless route for this season.

Stu
Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stulec52
T,
can you give me a part number for the speedo and the best place to get one?
It looks very likely that the WCICS series is going the brushless route for this season.

Stu
part number is 80750
Old 09-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Yep, that's the one - #80750. Mine came from Cory at HobbyRoom.ca in Edmonton.

Very slick unit:

http://www.rc10.com/lrp/sphere.htm

Here's why I think it's a step ahead right now:

- Switching from brushed to brushless motors is trivial. Just hook up the output wires to the motor and the rest takes place automatically no weird wiring changes, setup, etc.
- LiPo cutoff mode on/off. They say it's automatic, but I like it OFF if I know I'm running NiMH just so there's no confusion
- Built in temp monitor - can tell you how hot it got during your run

Add in the feel of the system, braking and acceleration are both very smooth, and I think it's a winner. On it's maiden run here, the controller stayed very cool driving the X11 4.5 run after run. No complaints.

Only downside is that it's sensored only, but I really don't think that's much of a limitation right now as all of the mainstream motors are sensored.

Thumbs up!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Hey, T.

Are you using a telemetry system to obtain real-time data on the brushless controllers? Or is it pretty much a drive by "feel" or "this one comes with its own fire extinguisher" approach?

I'm curious since this has always been an issue for the RC consumer to deal with: lots of product out there, but very little by way of objective, comparative data of real meaning to the racer on the race track. With the innovations in the field, it could either be hit and miss or someone like yourself doing the testing and posting for everyone to see.

What do you think?

Phil
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Gilligan
Hey, T.

Are you using a telemetry system to obtain real-time data on the brushless controllers? Or is it pretty much a drive by "feel" or "this one comes with its own fire extinguisher" approach?

I'm curious since this has always been an issue for the RC consumer to deal with: lots of product out there, but very little by way of objective, comparative data of real meaning to the racer on the race track. With the innovations in the field, it could either be hit and miss or someone like yourself doing the testing and posting for everyone to see.

What do you think?

Phil

Good question Phil - Guys that see me at the track know that I'm known for all 3 of those approaches:

- Drive By Feel: Each system I've run has had a definite "personality". This is super subjective and would be different for every driver. The LRP has felt "easier to control" than the other systems. I believe the power and brake both come smoothly and I didn't have as many traction issues with running the system as I have with some of the harsher ones.
- Telemetry: We've got the Eagle Tree data recorder and Spektrum telemetry systems. I need to do a side by side comparison of the controllers and motors very soon. I will try to present a side x side graphing of the systems characteristics as soon as I get caught up.
- Fire Exinguisher: Mamba and I were not friends when it came to the EPIC N60 brushless I was testing. I would strongly recommend sticking with Mamba Motors if you are using their ESC's and you will have no troubles.

This fall, I am going to start up a "Next Gen" blog to let everyone know what I've been up to (and what's blown up or worked great). Just waiting for the break in the racing season to get it updated.....

T
Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Also..... we plan to build a brushed/brushless dyno system in the fall in order to be able to accurately compare the different motors under identical situations. This should be the first step in understanding how the different tuning options (rotor size, etc.) can be applied to brushless racing.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

ARE WE THERE YET????
Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Addict

Default 3 more days!

The fastest cars on the planet......
Full parts support........
Accessories, tires, carriers..........
Tools, performance enhancement..........
All from the #1 Speed Shop in Canada...........
Stay tuned - news on 09.09.07

Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Corally!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

I NEW CAR!!!

Might be something I'm interested in We were kind of talking about it during the Big Chill, now I have something to see that might be a good choice

Old 09-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

new sponsor ????
Old 09-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Mmmmmm Corally Mmmmmm

I've owned almost all of the car brands at one time or another and I'm biased! For me Corally PHI and the SP12X have been the best quality and best perfoming of them all. Parts in Canada would be a HUGE bonus.

Phil
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Trent.....wicked news man..........
T-Band just keeps getting bigger and better....good stuff dude.....keep up the great work.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Trent, What time do you get up on sunday or is the big news hitting the forum here at 1201 tonight?LOL Might be heading to kamloops tomorrow for some first time TC. I'm dusting off a mint SST Pro from 2000. I've found some set-up sheets but there for foam and rubber on carpet. I've got the gear ratio chart and with the 86 spur my chart gives me ratios from 28/86 with overall at 6.14 to 19/86 with an overall of 9.05. I'll be using my new tbang 27t type C and your 4200's(saddle packs). I don't have a clue about roll-out stuff and was wondering about a good gear ratio with your products. I may need some other pinions for tomorrow. I'll post part of this on thompson valley site shortly. Another question, would you use the rtr esc from AE(13t limit with max output of 120 watts) or should I use my MM esc? Again either stay up late tonight or get up early to post tomorrow.LOL. Oh my 4 trak power lipos and balancer arrived yesturday late so today is t4 mamba testing day. Thanks for the quick shipping. Later.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by danimal1965
Hey Trent, What time do you get up on sunday or is the big news hitting the forum here at 1201 tonight?LOL Might be heading to kamloops tomorrow for some first time TC. I'm dusting off a mint SST Pro from 2000. I've found some set-up sheets but there for foam and rubber on carpet. I've got the gear ratio chart and with the 86 spur my chart gives me ratios from 28/86 with overall at 6.14 to 19/86 with an overall of 9.05. I'll be using my new tbang 27t type C and your 4200's(saddle packs). I don't have a clue about roll-out stuff and was wondering about a good gear ratio with your products. I may need some other pinions for tomorrow. I'll post part of this on thompson valley site shortly. Another question, would you use the rtr esc from AE(13t limit with max output of 120 watts) or should I use my MM esc? Again either stay up late tonight or get up early to post tomorrow.LOL. Oh my 4 trak power lipos and balancer arrived yesturday late so today is t4 mamba testing day. Thanks for the quick shipping. Later.
I'm not sure about 12:01. Maybe 6am though. We'll see if I'm up partying tonight and I can drop the news then. Might be a little slurry if so.

First up, the gear ratio question - that stuff can be pretty confusing. The good news is your spur gives you a perfect range for most modern stock and 19T motors. For the Type C stock, most guys find they settle in at a 6.5-6.8 ratio. Sometimes they can be a tooth up or down, but generally that's a good guideline. I would start toward the higher range of that - 6.8 or so and then see how it feels. Check it every few minutes during your first run. If you're getting really hot, yank it and drop a tooth. I don't think that will happen at 6.8 though.

From there, typically what you are looking for is to find the right balance between straightaway speed and infield punch. If you pull onto the straightaway and your car hits top speed really early (less than 1/2 a straight away length) then you probably need to go up a tooth. If it never feels like it's totally winding out by the time you hit the end, then you need to go down. Again - this probably won't happen with a 6.8 ratio, but as you start adding teeth, you might find it will bog down. Sometimes it's faster to back off a tooth if you find that it's not winding out or bogging down after the corners.

I virtually always do it by feel now - comparing numbers with other people will get you in the ballpark, but after that you need to adjust for each motor's differences in your car, with your setup, etc. Keep an eye on motor temps, and nothing bad will happen as you experiment.

ESC wise - you're probably going to be OK with either one for stock, but if you start to power up a bit, the MM is the way to go. Our stock motors will make 120w+ of power while they are spooling up, but only in short spikes. The 19T's will make 180W+ so they would probably thermal your other ESC after a while. Stock isn't too bad though. I'm guessing you've got your MM wired into something else, so my suggestion would be to run with the AE for stock and bring your other car/truck along. If you start to thermal a lot, then you might need to make the switch. If not, you should be good - 120W is not a lot of power these days!

I'm getting the big announcement ready for tonight..... we'll get it up on the site.

Glad to hear that the power arrived - take it easy on those trucks! Remember to set your LiPo cutoff on the MM, it's a huge help. Then you can just run like a maniac until it cuts out.

Have fun!

T

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.