Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray XB8TQ Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just got my XB8TQ and can't wait to get it together. Hopefully our track is going to start getting built next weekend.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just wondering: Has anyone on here tried the front upper arm mod? It involves using the rear inner camber link and stop on the front upper link in place of the arm. I've heard mixed results about this.....

I've switched to the TQ and I've been running it for about 2 months now, and it's great. Definately better than the Jammin, and quite a departure from the older chassis.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default My first run w/XB8 TQ

I just ran my TQ the first time yesterday at the track w/Kit TQ setup. As I thought it pushed a bit. The layout is still fresh and has a rough section so I took out some rear anti squat. I Know I'll need a bit heavier shock oil front and rear, going to 40WT. Over all it's seemed to be drivable but I like a little more aggresive steering on power. I'm going to take out some front caster, heavier shock oil, and shim the inner turnbucles at the streering rank and go to the rearward most hole. I'll report back with how the changes work out.

Last edited by pablo101; 06-02-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

my buddy did the upper arm mod and he found it to be good on a really bumpy track, but if you arent on a bumpy track that needs it, it will flex too much
Old 06-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

no problem. i talked to him more about it today, and he also said that it makes the car a little more forgiving. he said it slows the reaction of the car a tad. and he did not like it. i may put it on my car for a little while to see if it makes me any faster. when i do that i will let you know what i think of it.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ran the US style tack setup this weekend, (rough, big jumps, low-med. grip) it seems to work well overall. On bumpier/rutted tracks it might be a bit on the hard side, but it jumps very well, is quite stable and feels pretty balanced overall. It does seem to lack a bit of low speed steering, although its not that bad you just need to adjust your line a bit. The only change I made was to goto slightly softer oil in the back (40wt to 37.5wt) didn't make a huge difference due to temperature changes from the day before. I was pretty happy with the way it handled since most other guys were running a softer setup. I also ran 2.5 degrees of rear toe instead of 3 degrees. I'll start playing with the setup a bit more now that I'm back to my home track, which is pretty flat, rough, and low bite.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default XB8 noobie here

Hello all.. I am new to 1/8th scale off road and am going to go pick a used XB8 on my way home from work today... It has had maybe 5 days of racing on it.. It has a Brand New OS RG in it at the moment, misc spare parts, JP1 pipe and couple sets of tires and bodies.... Picking it up for a good price I think... Under 400.00 So I might be a regular on here looking for tips on set up once I get it and load it with my gear..... Just wanted to say Hi and introduce my self..... Thanks and can't wait to drive this x-ray....
Old 06-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Two gallons through the new TQ, and all I can say is: I love it.

This car is a very drastic change from the Jammin. It's so much smoother, and the suspension is very smooth- I think I've bottomed the car out 2 times. It reacts to changes very well, and is very consistent. The car wears very well, and I'm very happy with the drivetrain- super smooth.

I've been though several setups, just seeing how the car reacts to changes, and I've found a very good base setup. It's a good starting point, very neutral.

Xray XB8TQ Standard Setup

Old 06-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

same reason i made the switch. i found the car to be way more consistant too and all the parts last a hole lot longer than the jammin just like you said so you dont have to stock up on replacements
Old 06-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

How does it compare to the Prospec?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

It drives very similar to the ProSpec, considering that you're talking about the Mugen ProSpec. But:

It steers into and out of the corner better, the suspension seems a little smoother, and the drivetrain is definately smoother. I have driven and owned the ProSpec, and I've found that the chassis wears rapidly, and the rear bulkhead isn't the best. The Xray chassis wears very well, and none of the plastic parts have developed any slop, after several races.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Hello,
I’ve been testing with the XB8TQ since it first shipped and have compiled a really nice setup for this car. I race pro/expert at most tracks around southern Ca and this setup is close at all of them. I attached the setup sheet so you can check it out. I promise that if you try this setup exactly you will like it. This is my third Xray XB8 so I’ve had lots of tune time with this car. I gain setup knowledge from running 1/8th scale on-road cars as well. If you try this setup please follow it exactly as it is a highly refined setup that took many weeks to compile.

Setup Characteristics: Extremely stable over bumps with lots of on and off power steering. Use with aggressive tire (Panther Komodo soft) and powerful engine for inside line to inside line racing. This setup feels soft but is very aggressive and responsive on the track. Also if the setup is followed correctly the buggy will rise evenly when compressed and let go by hand, showing a very balanced setup. If anti-squat and kick-up is not set to sheet specifics the car will not work.

You will need these Xray items to complete this setup:

Xray Shock oils 40wt/35wt
Xray Diff Oils 5000wt/1000wt (please use Xray as other brands might very)
QTY (2) +2 hubs for the front
QTY (2) +1 hubs for the rear
2.2mm front sway bar (Could use 2.4)
2.6mm rear sway bar (Could use 2.8 if 2.4 is used)
Xray White spring set soft for rear

Try it out, trust me!

I hope the attachment works let me know if it doesnt. Or let me know how to post an image. I'm new to RCtech and not sure how to post images.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB8TQ Forum-xray-tqsetup.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Hello,
I’ve been testing with the XB8TQ since it first shipped and have compiled a really nice setup for this car. I race pro/expert at most tracks around southern Ca and this setup is close at all of them. I attached the setup sheet so you can check it out. I promise that if you try this setup exactly you will like it. This is my third Xray XB8 so I’ve had lots of tune time with this car. I gain setup knowledge from running 1/8th scale on-road cars as well. If you try this setup please follow it exactly as it is a highly refined setup that took many weeks to compile.

Setup Characteristics: Extremely stable over bumps with lots of on and off power steering. Use with aggressive tire (Panther Komodo soft) and powerful engine for inside line to inside line racing. This setup feels soft but is very aggressive and responsive on the track. Also if the setup is followed correctly the buggy will rise evenly when compressed and let go by hand, showing a very balanced setup. If anti-squat and kick-up is not set to sheet specifics the car will not work.

You will need these Xray items to complete this setup:

Xray Shock oils 40wt/35wt
Xray Diff Oils 5000wt/1000wt (please use Xray as other brands might very)
QTY (2) +2 hubs for the front
QTY (2) +1 hubs for the rear
2.2mm front sway bar (Could use 2.4)
2.6mm rear sway bar (Could use 2.8 if 2.4 is used)
Xray White spring set soft for rear

Try it out, trust me!

I hope the attachment works let me know if it doesnt. Or let me know how to post an image. I'm new to RCtech and not sure how to post images.

Thanks!
I appreciate the input you have laid down for us! I will let you know the results.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Cool XB8 TQ setup additional info

Hey guys,
I previously posted a TQ setup for you to try, but forgot to add that you will have to use a dremal to achieve the lower inner camber link location marked on the sheet, (I'm not sure why XRAY put a hole you cant use without modification but It really plants the back end). Use a drum or tip grinder to relieve some plastic from both the bulkhead and the plastic inner rear camber link, (it only takes a few minutes). Pull the shock off to insure you have a free moving rear link & arm when done. I have yet to break the link even after the dremeling is done and the car is slammed off big jumps.

Also I did testing last night on the car at a somewhat rutted tight track and found a few small changes you could try with this setup.

Rear Toe goes from 3.5 to 4.0 (Increased rear bite and maintained steering)
Rear Anti-squat from 4.0 to 3.0 (Improve forward traction on ruts)
Front pre-load from 5mm to 6mm (Keeps front from digging out)
Front Caster Eccentric bushing from -1 to 0 degree bushing. (Help counteract other setting changes to maintain aggressive steering setup)

Hope that helps..

I attached some pics of my cars, but I don’t have a trophy pic with my TQ as I haven’t raced the big races YET!

Forgot to add that the best place/price Ive found to get Xray XB8 stuff is: http://www.speedtechrc.com/
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB8TQ Forum-airtronics-1.jpg   Xray XB8TQ Forum-my-first-xray-xb8.jpg   Xray XB8TQ Forum-fusion1.jpg  

Last edited by CarCrazy; 06-21-2006 at 01:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.