Search

using temperature guns ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default using temperature guns ?

hey guys

what do you think of using temperature guns for tuning engines ?
i normally tune my engines for max power and then a slight bit richer
i check the glow plug to make sure its still slightly wet

however i also like to make sure they arent running too hot

what do you guys think of using a temperature gun for temps ?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrgsr
hey guys

what do you think of using temperature guns for tuning engines ?
i normally tune my engines for max power and then a slight bit richer
i check the glow plug to make sure its still slightly wet

however i also like to make sure they arent running too hot

what do you guys think of using a temperature gun for temps ?
i only use a temp gun to know what it runs at, but not neccessarily tune it. i tune the low end at the bench, tune it so that it revs crisp then i richen the low end.

i clear the car by reving WOT then i let it idle for 10 seconds, it should hesitate just slightly after 10 seconds of idling. the top end i tune on the track at racing conditions. i also use a 6 novarossi plug. for australia this is the standard plug for almost all condition except absolute winter, i might use a 5. nothing lower. i've busted a motor oince using a 4 plug.

for moorebank use the above low end tuning method, then when you are racing tune top end and make sure the motor does not loose low end out of corner punch halfway through a 5 minute qualifier or during a final. if it looses low end punch, the low end is lean.

run it hard for 5 minutes, come in for fuel, top up and run again. if the car feels quicker out of the corners after a quick pit stop this means (in my opinion) the low end is a bit lean as well. i also use this method (the pitstop refuel method) to check the motor.

all these methods listed above i use in tandem to tune a motor. once it is tuned to what i think is correct, i then do a qualifier or a practice 5 minute run and temp it at 2.5 minutes and 5 minutes don't let the motor run out of fuel as it gets lean at this point, temp it before tank gets really empty.

also i noticed two speed setings affect the performance. if it shifts too early the car feels like it has a slugish top end, if it shifts too late it gets hot and the cars top end feels weird. you know you have a shift point that is too late when the car revs at 1st for a extended period then it sort of jerks into second.