Search

setup equiptment for 1/10 TC...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default setup equiptment for 1/10 TC...

Hello,
I am looking at getting a few setup tools for 1/10 Touring Car, but I am not sure where to start. I obviously think I should get a nice setup board (do brands matter?), and maybe some sort of tweak checker (recommendations).

For those of you that have been doing this for a while, could you recommend your most used setup tool??
Old 02-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Integy or Hudy setup Station

Pit Board or a friends....

Ride height Gauge

most important to have so atleast you know everything is balanced....
Old 02-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dennis,

I would definately get a tweak station. MIP or Integy are both good brands. For a pit board I have been using a piece of 3/4" high density fiber board from Lowes. It's dead flat and I can drill holes in it to store motors or work on them while at the track. I have seen others with thick plexiglass and some use the Integy board with the decal.

You will want to be able to check ride height and a camber gauge. I don't think I would go to the expense of a full setup system like what integy sells unless you are running a car with pivot ball suspension.

Greg
Old 02-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Any plexiglass setup board will work. A setup system like PMB, Integy, or Hudy. Ride height and droop guages. Turnbuckle wrenches. Calipers.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

This is exactly what i was looking for. I'd like to get a Integy or Hudy setup station, but they are a little expensive for my tastes!!

I looked at the MIP tweak station and i think i'll get that (it looks like the integy with the laser lights is discontinued according to tower). I have a camber gauge already and a cheezy ride height and droop gauge and also a set og calipers.

I was thinking of getting an integy board with the decal so at least I can get some accurate measurements of toe and maybe a better ride height/droop gauge at the same time.

Is that really all that is needed???
Old 02-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the integy tweak startion as well as setup station. They both work very well (easy to read is the main feature) by getting the laser tweak station its more consisten and quicker to use. You dont have to level it as long as its reasonably close (any tabletop is fine). As for the setup station i think the rpm camber quage does just as good of a job for camber, and with electric touring car only front toe needs to be checked in most cases, so you can usually eyeball it and be fine. The flat board is a must have since most pit tables are not flat enough to check height and droop on acuratly. For droop you can use a rideheight gauge and just set it to say 2mm more thne ride height that the wheel lifts off the ground.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dynamite

Makes two great tools...

Ride height gauge, 1mm steps on on side, turn it over it is gradual with markings in tenths of a mm

Droop gauge, comes with 10mm blocks to set the car on, then use the gauge to measure the droop on each arm
Old 02-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Those dynamite tools sound good!! I'll have to take a look. I'm trying to get up to a $200 order through Tower hobbies so I can get $30 off. I figure I might as well spend it on my setup tools and some other misc. stuff (new servo, hex tools, etc...)
Old 02-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcracingkid
I have the integy tweak startion as well as setup station. They both work very well (easy to read is the main feature) by getting the laser tweak station its more consisten and quicker to use. You dont have to level it as long as its reasonably close (any tabletop is fine). As for the setup station i think the rpm camber quage does just as good of a job for camber, and with electric touring car only front toe needs to be checked in most cases, so you can usually eyeball it and be fine. The flat board is a must have since most pit tables are not flat enough to check height and droop on acuratly. For droop you can use a rideheight gauge and just set it to say 2mm more thne ride height that the wheel lifts off the ground.
this sounds about right in my experiences

i got the Hudy ultimate setup system and it isnt worth it IMO
i only use the board and 2 of the gauges to measure the front toe-in/out

i use a friends tweak station...its a nice little tool but i usually use the "lift in the middle with a hobby knife" to check tweak anyway