Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Josh but in a prang surely it would tweek again if you dremelled the holes ?!?!?!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, another 3 hours gone and I even tried the separate suspension mount and it just will not line up right.. Its the right side "front" suspension mount that is the problem. I'm not a big fan of dremeling out and then countersinking the hole because I think a good hit on that side could rip the flathead screw right through the chassis. I'm hoping the chassis I've ordered from AMPDRAW is OK.....
Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why not try shimming the H-arm on one corner different (front to back) ????? That should square up the wheel base I would think.. maybe it's that simple ?? Or maybe not ???: sweat:
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Lazer Guy
Why not try shimming the H-arm on one corner different (front to back) ????? That should square up the wheel base I would think.. maybe it's that simple ?? Or maybe not ???: sweat:
The angle of the mount would not be changed....
Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sosidge

Now one solution doing the rounds in the Cyclone forum (I only occasionally look in there mind you) is to ream out the hub hinge pin hole a little, and put a small grub scew in the edge to take out the angle. Apparently this is the Hara mod. I don't know if that is true or not.
Did you try to do what sosidge mentioned? Slightly elongate the hole to angle the hing pin. Take out some material out on the inner front side of the hing pin hole. Do this little by little to get the right toe. Creep up to it as this is not something you don’t want to overshoot. The setscrew will hold the hing pin in place, even if the hole is slightly elongated. This will take out some toe on that side, so do the side with more toe.

BTW: if your car is not tracking straigh, check the ackerman plate. I have had this crack on my before. It's really hard to notice. In most cases, you will see the steering post bent forward. If it is cracked, you will see the graphite splintered on the side of the screw that holds the steering post in place. Remember you will see the side of the graphite piece splintered, not top of bottom.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by E.J. Evans; 07-30-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

EJ how about a pic or drawing to explain please !!!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Champion

Man I got the new chassis and everything is going on it just fine....

Except 1 minor problem and it is by the car owner... I remember reading that the 3.5mm chassis will need longer hinge pins the orginal ones are 42mm and you need 49mm for the front and 44mm for the rear....

Take a wild guess on what I forgot to order..... So I'm going to set a set of TC5 hinge pins 53mm long and cut them down to 48mm and 44mm...

Now with the longer suspenion depth on the front ( 6mm) and 2mm is there a wider arms for the Scythe or is it shimming time?

Thanks in advance....
Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Shims.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rob Burns
Shims.
5mm of shims in the front....
Old 08-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Man I got the new chassis and everything is going on it just fine....

Except 1 minor problem and it is by the car owner... I remember reading that the 3.5mm chassis will need longer hinge pins the orginal ones are 42mm and you need 49mm for the front and 44mm for the rear....

Take a wild guess on what I forgot to order..... So I'm going to set a set of TC5 hinge pins 53mm long and cut them down to 48mm and 44mm...

Now with the longer suspenion depth on the front ( 6mm) and 2mm is there a wider arms for the Scythe or is it shimming time?

Thanks in advance....
I'm pretty sure we have your address on file, but shoot it to me again just incase. [email protected], we'll get some out to you.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

I had the same problem a crack in the ackerman plate I could not find my spare so I just swapped it for a 2mm shim and screwed it direct to the chassis it moved the ackerman point a little but for me it was just the steering response I was looking for just found by mistake.

On another note has anyone tried the 37/17 gear combo I have got a set of belts and tamiya 37tooth pullies to set up and test but was wondering if anyone has used this set up and noticed much difference?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
I'm pretty sure we have your address on file, but shoot it to me again just incase. [email protected], we'll get some out to you.
Thanks EJ, I ordered some shims ( 0.5 up to 3.0, red ones of course ) a while ago just incase I needed them. It's funny how I read about the chassis and totaly spaced out on the fact that with a long wheelbase something has to get bigger. But I like the chassis and it feels so goodas I am building it... I can't wait to get in on the track today and see how it feels under power....
Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
5mm of shims in the front....
It's for adjusting the wheel base. You'll need shims in the rear too. Tamiya make a really nice shim kit with thicknesses from .5mm - 3mm.

if you look at EJ's set up from the Reedy race he has 3mm of shims behind the front arms and 2mm of shims in front of the rear arms. Obviously he shims the rest of the arms to take out free play.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
EMail coming, I want to get the different drive train setup...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Last week some people brocke in, in my hous.
They stole almost al of my pc's, laptops, Scanners, printers, and a lot more.
Almost everything i have is stolen.
Also my rc cars and everything with it.
Lukely the police found some of my stuf back.
I don't have anny rc car anny more but my bag with my equipment that i used by or nationalchampionchip i have back.
So my loaders, battery's, transmitter, tools and my brushless motors with my lrp sphere tc.
So now i'm going to try to get some money to buy a new car with body.
I want the new TOP Scythe.
I was verry happy with my TOP. Never hathbig problems and the car was always good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.