Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bender
At the risk of being flamed, can I ask those who are selling this car to PLEASE make it more affordable, for your own sake.

Hi Bender,

thanks for your concerns, I understand exactly what you are saying, (this is one of the reasons I started my business www.rcshop.com.au)

I have been driving a pre production unit the past few weeks and so far the car is performing excellent, (anyone racing up at Windsor indoor track can qualify that)

we will have supply of the Scythe in the next 1-2 weeks, and we are hoping to be able to retail it as low as possible (although it is difficult to dictate the price to shops as they need to make their margin as well).

if you wish to discuss further you can email me, [email protected]

thanks

Rod M.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Just a ?? Are all the bulkheads plastic or alloy on the standard kit. They look plastic to me. If so will there be the option of getting alloy ones.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SchuMi2
Just a ?? Are all the bulkheads plastic or alloy on the standard kit. They look plastic to me. If so will there be the option of getting alloy ones.
yes and yes,

the bulkheads are a composite plastic, and they are working on a alloy option kit.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bender
At the risk of being flamed, can I ask those who are selling this car to PLEASE make it more affordable, for your own sake.

Virtually all modern TC's offer very similar performance, so the decision of "what to buy" often comes down to parts support and team support.

The inherent risk any racer faces is that if they choose a less well-known brand, then they are essentially on their own with regards to set-up etc.

IMO, it is difficult to tempt drivers away from the typical XRAy, Tamiya, Corally etc cars without offering them an incentive to do so- and often that incentive can simply be a much better price

Price can often be the deciding factor, especially when quality is of a similar level.

This car looks good, and in particular it's impressive that they've managed to move the layshaft assembly to the middle of the car whilst still having the cells close to the centre-line of the chassis, something that neither Tamiya (TA05), or Kyosho (new TC) have been able to do.

What is needed is an agressive price structure that tempts drivers away from the "traditional" brands.

I believe this car will retail for approx US$370 (similar to XRay, Corally etc), and whilst I have no idea as to the profit margin on this car, a price closer to US$300 (if possible) would surely improve the car's position in the market.

This is not an attempt to dis-credit the car and/or it's manufacturer/importer, just a concern from someone who likes to see as much variety as possible in the market. There are other brands that have suffered due to in-appropriate world price structures (Atlas and Kawada spring to mind).

This car has obvious potential, it would be good to see a few of them around.

FYI 2 drivers raced this car at the recent Thailand Invitational and qualified 34th and 35th in Mod class.

I have to agree 100% with this post. With Alluminum bulkheads front rear and mid being the norm on a xray,corrally,tamiya ect ect. For this car to ever have a chance in North america its gotta have a much lower price point then the rest. The total lack of parts support is the other killer. But perhaps this car has no intentions of hitting the US/CND market??

The car has the looks of a competent racer but with todays flood great touring cars from so many companies. And now the copy cat layouts are getting popular(you can get belted cars with packs on the right from just about all the major players) The next evolution in touring car should be price reduction... And major parts support.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

looks sweet almost wish i had waited instead of buying a T2
Old 02-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Rod M,

As a lot of us noticed, the Scythe has similar parts to the Pro4/Cyclone. Educate us on this one. Will some Pro4/Cyclone parts fit the Scythe? If yes, what parts are those?

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
Rod M,

As a lot of us noticed, the Scythe has similar parts to the Pro4/Cyclone. Educate us on this one. Will some Pro4/Cyclone parts fit the Scythe? If yes, what parts are those?
I have only ever owned Tamiya/Xray cars so I am going off what we can see by putting the Scythe next to my mates Cyclone,

the F/R Arms, uprights and c-hubs all look the same as the Cyclone/Pro4 family, (or from the same manufacturer that makes them for HPI)

and I believe the F/R bumpers and perhaps the shocks are from the yokomo family/manufacturer,

the car itself is very quick and very stable, initial streering is excellent but at the moment is pushing a tad on power while exiting, I need to play around with the setup a bit.

fully loaded with IB3800's and rubbers it weighs in at around 1410,

I am not the best at setting up cars but in the hands of a pro it would be a weapon.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Tech Master

Attached is a pic of my pre production Scythe,

cyrrently running:
Keyence Rapida pro ESC
S9550 servo
RX211 reciever
TOP H40 tyres

Last edited by Rod M; 10-14-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rod M
Attached is a pic of my pre production Scythe,

cyrrently running:
Keyence Rapida pro ESC
S9550 servo
RX211 reciever
TOP H40 tyres
Nice Scythe.

Anyway, I noticed that your shock caps and thread are gold too. Because I recently saw a Top Racing catalog and noticed that the shocks mounted on the Scythe kit are blue. While other aluminum parts are gold. Did your Scythe come with that gold shocks or you replaced the shock caps and threads to uniform your car?

By the way, how does it perform?

Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
Nice Scythe.

Anyway, I noticed that your shock caps and thread are gold too. Because I recently saw a Top Racing catalog and noticed that the shocks mounted on the Scythe kit are blue. While other aluminum parts are gold. Did your Scythe come with that gold shocks or you replaced the shock caps and threads to uniform your car?

By the way, how does it perform?

Thanks, my car had a mixture of both gold and blue alloy bits, but you can only see the gold bits in that pic,

the production car will be completely gold,

the car itself is very quick and very stable, initial streering is excellent, still working on the setup,

all the guys who I have given to car to have a run are very impressed with it,
Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Default Rod M.

the car itself is very quick and very stable, initial streering is excellent but at the moment is pushing a tad on power while exiting,

What is your front rebound set to (droop) in other words? If you limit the front droop, you can stop the weight transfer to the rear, increasing the on power steering.................
Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rod M
the car itself is very quick and very stable, initial steering is excellent, still working on the setup,
If you move your steering links to the front position on the steering knuckle, it will give you more steering all over the coarse..............
Old 03-10-2006, 06:38 AM
JCB
Tech Addict

Old 03-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

This cars design really looks like my OVA T4.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

The car looks well balanced and feather weight. The gold annodized parts look reaaly good. So what would make people buy it than say a cyclone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.