Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wicked European Offroad Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One of the most challenging things about off-road racing is dealing with a changing track surface. Yeah sometimes jumps get busted up and you have to find a way to deal with it. Adapt or you will get beat. There is a track in Hemet, CA with a nitro race going on this week. They have 470 entries and the best line on that track will probably change from round to round if not qual to qual! Meanwhile a big electric race on a clay track that does not change might get 150 entries. Which track is more popular?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

I'd like to point out that racing on a track that's dirt with carpet over the jumps is not easy. I have raced all over the United States, and one of the hardest tracks I've driven on was this past Worlds' track. Whether it makes the maintenance easier or not, it certainly doesn't decrease the quality of driving necessary to go fast. You hit a carpet section with your car a little sideways, especially a 4wheeler, and try to correct as the sudden traction up front makes the whole car jump sideways. It's no easy feet to stay consistant on a track like that.

On topic, that layout does look amazing.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Rookie

As Jimmy says, that's the track for the Euros this year!

I'm hoping to show them who's boss with my X5 and X6

Dan
Old 02-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

You be racing the x6 dan ? awesome.. any time frame on that.

that track is gonna be a lot of fun to race, and photograph.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
We should look at our recent performance at the Worlds to see why the Euro drivers are so much better at adapting to less than perfect surfaces.
Did you actually see the race results? In 2wd, Neil Cragg was the only European..And he's just hellafast anyhow, he came over last year at the cactus and made 2 mains if i'm correct (may be wrong on that). But besides Cragg and hirosaka everyone else is from the US. 8/10 drivers in the show at the worlds? and we need to work on US performance? Neil should be commended, yes of course, he's awesome and the world champ! Just not really sure if you're talking about the same race..

I do think it would be cool going from grass to carpet to tile to dirt every now and then. It looks like a completely different game over there.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

The wildest thing I ever saw on a US track in my location was a cross over jump. That is wild to see a buggy driving under you in one section while you are jumping over them. Thats my favorite section of the track
Old 02-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by oople
You be racing the x6 dan ? awesome.. any time frame on that.
I hope to be racing it competetivly for the first time at Tiverton national in May. Thats going to be a baptism of fire for sure but I'm really optimistic about it.

With regard the Euros track, I think the car is going to jump and fly great as well as turn on a six pence so with those jumps and tight turns I think it's going to be fast.

Dan

Last edited by super__dan; 02-18-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I don't live in California, I live in the southeast. The track consistantly draws a 1/8 buggy crowd around 25-40 every weekend during race season and around 50-70 people overall, about 6-10 people in the other popular nitro classes.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

that high turm is sick as hell wow great track
Old 02-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That bank is insane. Everything else seems pretty normal though.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Tech Rookie

That track really looks the buisness
Old 02-19-2006, 03:54 AM
Tech Regular

Thats a nice track adn TBH, in the USA there is a lot of variation in tracks. Ive seen alot of the simply packed clay oval tracks whicha re so called offroad tracks which TBH, bore the hell out of me. Then Ive seen some amazing tracks, like one in Minnesota I think with a turned bank like on that and a 30ft high jump, THAT is an offroad track. Here in England, theres a fair few indoor buggy tracks like the one I race at with carpet which is alot of traction. However, we do have a few outside tracks aswell, which I hope to race at only just coming into the buggy scene. As for the standard of American drivers, they seem to do good in offroad, alot better than they do in touring cars anyway.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DanGriffin
Did you actually see the race results? In 2wd, Neil Cragg was the only European..And he's just hellafast anyhow, he came over last year at the cactus and made 2 mains if i'm correct (may be wrong on that). But besides Cragg and hirosaka everyone else is from the US. 8/10 drivers in the show at the worlds? and we need to work on US performance? Neil should be commended, yes of course, he's awesome and the world champ! Just not really sure if you're talking about the same race..

I do think it would be cool going from grass to carpet to tile to dirt every now and then. It looks like a completely different game over there.
4WD worlds, Italy, Craig Drescher, Paul Bradby and Neil Cragg were all in the A Main, all from the UK,

considering we only have 1 dirt track that races 10th scales that is indoors and not many jumps we don't do too bad.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

watch this video of the EURO-warmup

(90 MB but it's really worth the wait !!!)