Wiki Posts
Search

Parking lot racer of choice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)
Default Parking lot racer of choice.

What is everyones parking lot racer of choice. I would prefer not to grind $400 chasis over pavement, but what chasis would be suitable for parking lot racing?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My favorite choice would be 12th scale cars like the 12L4. One of the greatest advantages of 12th scale is their price. They are half the price of touring. Plus, if you can drive 12th, you can drive anything. I feel really lucky that my friends and I got into 12th scale at an early age. I'm not trying to boast, but we are better drivers than the average RC driver, and I credit that to spending most of my time driving that class.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

believe it or not, it scratches it, but not as bad as you think. i was the same way, until like two years ago i raced my tc3, and yeah it got slight scrapes, but nothing that was inbedded (as in like a dremel cut in the chassis; deep). Its not really that bad, and most chassis are less then 100 bux. if your that worried about it, go to a skiing shop, and they carry a layer thing for ski's that you lay on the bottom of the ski's to make them nice and smooth. that works as well with the chassis. some is a liquid that you lay on it, some is like as thin as paper, it saves your chassis, and its cheap. check out like your local home depot to find stuff like wax paper, just double sided.

hope that helped
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Iam not a Tamiya fan but the TA05 is a good car if you are worried about your chassi It would be the best bang for the buck.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Try a TA05...They run about 130 bux and they can compete on any level.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LANCEisaCRACKER
believe it or not, it scratches it, but not as bad as you think. i was the same way, until like two years ago i raced my tc3, and yeah it got slight scrapes, but nothing that was inbedded (as in like a dremel cut in the chassis; deep). Its not really that bad, and most chassis are less then 100 bux. if your that worried about it, go to a skiing shop, and they carry a layer thing for ski's that you lay on the bottom of the ski's to make them nice and smooth. that works as well with the chassis. some is a liquid that you lay on it, some is like as thin as paper, it saves your chassis, and its cheap. check out like your local home depot to find stuff like wax paper, just double sided.

hope that helped
Also AE sells a sheet of plastic for like 8 or 9 bucks called a chassie protector
Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Try a TA05...They run about 130 bux and they can compete on any level.
beat ya !!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

yokomo cgm
Old 02-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
What is everyones parking lot racer of choice. I would prefer not to grind $400 chasis over pavement, but what chasis would be suitable for parking lot racing?
Another vote for the TA05. Got mine too late last year to get it outdoors, but I'm sure it will be great.

It also doesn't hurt that the replacement chassis is only $10. So even if it does get scratched up, it'll cost you less to replace the entire chassis than a set of C-hubs on some cars!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I don't mind scratches, I'm picking up on road because I moved and can't find a good place localy run run off road and I figured if 40 mph dirt could wear out a chasis then 40 mph asphault could do an even better job of it. Is the TA05 still a stable car for 10 turn mod? The local on road tracks are tight so thats realy all you need, but I want to make sure I get a car that won't have any problems with chasis tweak and ect. from a hot motor.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Any car with a tub chassis would be fine e.g. Yokomo CGM, Tamiya Ta05, TB02, TT-01 etc
Old 02-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Tech Adept

If you are going to run a 10 turn mod in it i would suggest a good chassis.
The pro 4's are only 260 or something now and that would be a good car
i think.
Dont worry about the scraping on the chassis it wont harm your car much,
unless your car is to low
Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting observation this Summer racing touring car in parking lot races this Summer. I thought I'd see what would happen if I did everything you aren't supposed to do to a battery pack and see what would happen.

here's the setup:

Xray FK04, rubber tire
saddle pack configuration
IB3800 about a year old
geared aprox at 7.0
Novak Rooster
Monster Stock (cleaned and cut about every 8 runs)
5 minute races
Pitbull charger ( long lockout set on)
track size aprox 90 feet by 50 feet road course

Essentially I left the same batteries in the car all Summer long. We raced and are still racing every Sunday. I never discharged the pack and would peak the pack using a charge rate of 7amps, and a delta peak of .06/cell. I would practice about 12 minutes total for a Sunday and have 3 qualifiers and one main, so that's about 30 minutes of run time for a whole day. The car would be put back in it's box, and not touched again until the next week. So far we've raced every Sunday since early May.

The thing is still running strong. I'm not the best racer at the track but my car will go head to head with any other guys on the straightaway, including LiPo brushless guys. It also still has great punch in the infield.

I don't necessarily have a point but thought it was really interesting I can use one battery pack and beat the heck out of it, compared to what I've been told all these years of racing.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Use whatever chassis you want and just get some chassis protector from J Concepts to cover up the bottom. You get two sheets in a pack for about $9. I keep an eye on it and when it wears to the point of getting to the chassis, just cut that section out and replace it with new. Chassis looks brand new underneith the protector sheet.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default xray

i use to run xray's indoor and outdoor, i still run my xray raycer in the odd outdoor event and it's the most solid car outdoors i've ever driven. They came out with a new budget car which should be awesome outdoors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.