Wiki Posts
Search

Car Cleaning, Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Car Cleaning, Bearings?

I did a few searches and found a few threads on the bearings and 1 or 2 on the cleaning but not what I was looking for.

I am runing Ceramic BBs in my RDX and I was wondering if not replacing the shield will damage the BB. Remove from car, remove shield, clean, oil then reinstall without the shield?

Attempting to clean the car still assembled, what can be used to clean it? Not harmful to the plastics? Electronics? But will still get it clean. Then when totally disassembling the car what can be used to safely clean the parts? I saw WD-40 mentioned alot in one thread that also mentioned Simple Green. Safe and effective is what I am looking for. I clean the car after a day of running and I like to tear down and rebuild after a race day.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The technique I use over the years has been.

1) remove both shields (and forget about them)
2) get a film container to put the bearings in with motor spray
3) shake vigorously for 20 secs over garbage can. I will use the motorspray cap to put the container in to catch extra leakage.
4) with needle nose pull out bearings and spray out bearings with air or canned air. (don't spin the bearings with the air!)
5) spin bearings on tapered file or needle nose plyers (with fingers) to see if there is grit or how long they spin.
6) keep cleaned bearings on klenex to keep dirt away.
7) for super smooth bearings, empty film container and repeat a total of 3 times process 1 to 7

I don't like coming in contact with motorspray. I will use a leather work glove with a rubber glove over it. Usually one hand is gloved (my name is not michael... lol).

When all is done, WD40 I will spray across the bearings and a drop or two of oil.

Why leave off the shields. Well I used to keep them on or only take the inside one off. Running on carpet the fibers would always work into the closed side and wreck the bearing. I would go through usually 3 to 5 bearings in a year minumum. Now usually it might be 0 to 1. I think having the shields on does not give the fibers a place to go so they wrap around the races and balls. Plus you don't have to worry about shields slowing down the bearings.

If I raced on pavement I would leave the covers off. If I raced on dirt I would put them back on. If you clean them after every race day you should get good results. To clean a bearing fully you need the shields off.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:53 AM
kfa
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by A-Ko
The technique I use over the years has been.

1) remove both shields (and forget about them)
2) get a film container to put the bearings in with motor spray
3) shake vigorously for 20 secs over garbage can. I will use the motorspray cap to put the container in to catch extra leakage.
4) with needle nose pull out bearings and spray out bearings with air or canned air. (don't spin the bearings with the air!)
5) spin bearings on tapered file or needle nose plyers (with fingers) to see if there is grit or how long they spin.
6) keep cleaned bearings on klenex to keep dirt away.
7) for super smooth bearings, empty film container and repeat a total of 3 times process 1 to 7

I don't like coming in contact with motorspray. I will use a leather work glove with a rubber glove over it. Usually one hand is gloved (my name is not michael... lol).

When all is done, WD40 I will spray across the bearings and a drop or two of oil.

Why leave off the shields. Well I used to keep them on or only take the inside one off. Running on carpet the fibers would always work into the closed side and wreck the bearing. I would go through usually 3 to 5 bearings in a year minumum. Now usually it might be 0 to 1. I think having the shields on does not give the fibers a place to go so they wrap around the races and balls. Plus you don't have to worry about shields slowing down the bearings.

If I raced on pavement I would leave the covers off. If I raced on dirt I would put them back on. If you clean them after every race day you should get good results. To clean a bearing fully you need the shields off.
Which kind of motorspray are you refering to ?

//Kaare
Old 02-07-2006, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

Robinson Racing made a few years ago an alloy bearingcleaner and this works great for me. Now a good degreaser will work fine to clean your bearings. Automotive shops have good ones. Cleaning your carbon will not work with this! I use a little alcohol to do the job.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kfa
Which kind of motorspray are you refering to ?

//Kaare
I use what I can get in the hobbyshops. They all seem to do about the same.

Some guys use Acetone or other stuff that will dissove carpet fibers and let it soak overnight. I have not done that yet. It kinda scares me... lol....
Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I learned a hard lesson with ceramics. You know, the part where they're really fragile and really expensive? *sigh*

Here's what you do if simple cleaning doesn't work. Go buy a replacement for $1 (that's for any size, any kind of shield) from avidrc.com and throw away the old one. Motor brushes cost more, and they don't last nearly as long as bearings, and people don't hesitate to toss those. Life is too short to spend all day trying to save a $1 bearing.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

From what i have been hearing people have soaked the bearings in lighter fluid then lighted them, then done the usual oiling .For me i just take of 1 shield, spray with motor spray then re-oil . I might try the lighter fluid method on some old bearings

Charles
Old 02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have the cheap Tamiya sealed bearings. Ive never removed the sheilds (may try it sometime) but i put the bearing on a set of narrow nose pliers, spray motor spray into the gap in the shield, and spin. i do this until it spins cleanly. if it doesnt clean properly, while the bearing is still wet with motor spray, hold the bearing with pliers and lite it. has worked the few times ive had to do this to burn off the carpet furr. I also keep a stash of spare tamiya bearings cause there so cheap. if one will not run free, i replace it. Ive got a full garage of cars, and ive probably only just reached the price for a new set of ceramic bearings
Old 02-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
From what i have been hearing people have soaked the bearings in lighter fluid then lighted them, then done the usual oiling .For me i just take of 1 shield, spray with motor spray then re-oil . I might try the lighter fluid method on some old bearings

Charles
That methods pretty dailed Chaz,jsut dont use motor spray mate.As the overspary allso goes up! Trust me ive done it!! Very very very scary!!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Cheers Carter, don't want to get burned.......again

Charles
Old 02-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What about cleaning the car itself assembled? Unassembled? What is good? Harmful? Recommended?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i definately recommend stripping the car. im a bit slack and usually strip and rebuild the car every 3-4 meets. i just dust it down between, but dont expect to do a thorough clean with the car assembled. not only wont you clean everything properly, but you wont find worn out and broken parts by cleaning the car assembled. Theres been a few times ive stripped my car, expecting to simply rebuild it after a clean, to find a few parts that need replacing. its worth the effort