Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on this RC ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Opinions on this RC ??

I am new to the RC world. I want to buy an RC for me and my 6 year old daughter to have some good quality fun together. My research has led me to the Traxxas Bigfoot 2wd. The $200 price point is where I'm at. It's waterproof and seems like it can take some abuse. I'm basically just looking to goof around in the yard/field with it. I'm looking at the Bigfoot because it seems it would work better in the grass, jumping, rough terrain, etc. Ground clearance seems to be a good fit for me. It would probably be me using it for the most part. If she can't use it and wants one I can buy her a more basic unit.

Are there any other comparable units that I might want to consider and why? The reviews on the Bigfoot seem to be really good for the price point.

What are the benefits of a 4wd RC?

What are the different specs that I should be interested in as a casual user? I keep hearing things like brushed motor, etc and don't know if that is good or bad.

Any other suggestions or input? Accessories, extra batteries, etc???

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

That is a great car to goof off with. Parts are easy to find since it is built using one of the longest running chassis ever, the Stampede.

For the same price, there are other cars but I'm not the one to ask about them. I mainly race, so I'm not sure what is the latest and greatest for bombing around the yard on a budget. Maybe someone else will chime in.

4wd is a benefit when you start putting really powerful motors in. 2wd is fine for what you plan to do. 4wd can be more of a hassle to maintain and usually costs a lot more.

Brushed motors can wear out kind of quickly, but they are cheap to replace. The Bigfoot 2 has a brushed motor that is good for about 20-25 mph. Brushless motors can be used for hundreds of battery charges before they wear out if they are kept clean and go 30 to 50 mph depending on the motor. You can look at installing a brushless motor (and speed control) later on if you want to go faster.

I'd hold off on extra batteries until you run it a few times. If you aren't happy with how long the stock battery lasts, there are options for higher capacity batteries that we can suggest.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Its a well established vehicle to start with. Brushed is fine for that age. Solid reliable parts support be easily available at wide range of places. Now there are other options.
There is a big difference between 2 and 4wheel drive. Stability being the most obvious. It’s very easy, especially at first to roll over. Deep or wet grass can cause traction and driving frustration that doesn’t with 4wheel.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input. I'm going to go with the Bigfoot. After watching some youtube videos my daughter is pumped. For me that thing looks pretty darn fast for screwing around in the back yard.