Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
need info on battery care for touring... >

need info on battery care for touring...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need info on battery care for touring...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default need info on battery care for touring...

I NEED SOME HELP..I WANT TO START RUNNING STOCK OR 19T TOURING AND MY QUESTION IS...WHAT IS BETTER FOR MY PACKS. THE NOVAK SMART TRAY OR THE INTEGY ZERO THIRTY DISCHARGER. I WANT TO DEAD SHORT MY PACKS AND STORE THEM THAT WAY. I KNOW THEY BOTH DEAD SHORT BUT IS IT BETTER TO DO IT ON THE NOVAK OR THE INTEGY. ANY HELP THAT I CAN GET WOULD BE GREAT.....THANKS ALL.........FRANK
Old 02-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

integy 030 and a cheap zero diode equalizer will do. the 030 discharge the pack rather fast @30amps and shuts off @0v. use the equalizer to squeeze every single juice out then short.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for bringing this up. I was wondering if you could help me understand as a rookie. What does "Dead Short" mean? Won't the 030 squeeze every last mV out since it discharges each cell? I have an Integy 030, would it be beneficail to have a smart tray as well to equilize my cells and condition them?

Thank you for your response.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, the 030 does drain everything out of the packs, its just that it does it at a high amperage. Even when the cells are at a low voltage, they are still discharging at a high amp rate which can be harmful torwards the cells. What cells are you planning on dead shorting?

Definition of dead shorting- once the pack is drained to 0.0v, a wire is applied across the positive and negative in order to keep the pack at 0.0v. Otherwise, the pack will return to a voltage around 7.2v. This practice was very popular when the gp3300s were out, but has almost with the release of the newer cells since there appears to be no gains by dead shorting them.