Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Aftershock – Purchase one new 14mm wheel, or upgrade axles to accept 20mm wheels? >

Aftershock – Purchase one new 14mm wheel, or upgrade axles to accept 20mm wheels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aftershock – Purchase one new 14mm wheel, or upgrade axles to accept 20mm wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Aftershock – Purchase one new 14mm wheel, or upgrade axles to accept 20mm wheels?

On my 1/8 Losi Aftershock, one of my wheels and corresponding hex nuts (stock hex nuts are plastic) are worn to the point where the wheel just spins. From my research, all the US based hobby shops show this wheel (LOSB7001 - “Magneto” Chrome Wheel) as discontinued except for one shop in Canada and one in Australia, so the total cost plus shipping to get just one wheel to me is about $45.

My Aftershock is stock (except for the brushless electric 4S conversion), and I'm pretty sure it has a 5mm axle and 14mm wheels. This truck is only used for backyard bashing.

Should I purchase one wheel and a wheel ($45) hex set (about $8) or should I use one of those LOSB3516 ($26) hex adapters to convert my axles to accept 20mm wheels and buy four new wheels? If you recommend the latter, which wheels do you recommend for similar performance to my stock wheels?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What I did with my non xxl lst’s.

Bought the traxxas x01 17mm hex hubs with nut and set screw

Yes there is a significant gap between hex pin and hub carriers but I found a kyosho variety bag and has enough to do two trucks. Two shins on each is tight but perfect once mounted

Just another option
Old 11-16-2017, 02:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

The LST2 axles are stronger and use standard size 1/8 scale hexes. The caveat is needing to change the suspension arms and axle carriers to accept the larger bearings. I used the LST upgrade kit (about $100) which took my Aftershock to LST2 specs. The kit includes all suspension, axles, wheels, chassis rails, and even (IIRC) transmission case. That was a truck I ended up Muggifying too, but I found the LST2 upgrade to be WELL worth it.
Attached Thumbnails -img_7668.jpg  

Last edited by RCTecher12; 11-16-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
The LST2 axles are stronger and use standard size 1/8 scale hexes. The caveat is needing to change the suspension arms and axle carriers to accept the larger bearings. I used the LST upgrade kit (about $100) which took my Aftershock to LST2 specs. The kit includes all suspension, axles, wheels, chassis rails, and even (IIRC) transmission case. That was a truck I ended up Muggifying too, but I found the LST2 upgrade to be WELL worth it.
The LST2 upgrade kit is what I used to upgrade my nephews truck as well. Good luck finding one these days though. With eBay chop shops you can get all the components for about the same price if you shop carefully.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-1-1...ss!55379!US!-1
these are the upgrade adapters I used on the my emax that started as 14 mm hex rims, the axels are 6mm and so I am pretty sure your axels on the after shock are 6mm and these will work for you so you can go with 17 mm rims, get a micrometer to get a good measurements of the axel.
let us know
Old 11-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

^^^^that is what I was talking about but you need a thick shim or a couple to close in the gap between the pin and bearing