Wiki Posts
Search

SCOOP: New Tamiya Competition 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
Slipper (RW Racing, but you will need to supply B4 slipper plates, slipper pads and spur gear www.rwracing.co.uk)

DF-02 Tamiya CVD's, front only, rear not realy needed

Maybe change the ball cups.

Build the shocks with long shock bottoms on the front (not the short ones) and short ones on the back (not the long ones).

Visit Benders website for build tips and little mods.
Thanks. The slipper wasn't shown on RW's website, so I assume just e-mail them for info.

What about turnbuckles and shocks? I've heard Associated B4's fit. Is that correct?

Thanks all.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hawk6
What about turnbuckles and shocks? I've heard Associated B4's fit. Is that correct?
Correct. That is what I'm running on mine. 40wt in front and 32.5wt oil in the rear.

I finally got to run it at our local track. The track had just been redone so it was REAL loose. The buggy handled really well. Plenty of steering and the rear diff held up (probably due to the slick conditions. My skills as a driver are pretty much on the novice side so it did take some hard hits and seems to have come out unscathed despite the fact that some of the local racers thought the impacts had damaged it. I just need to get my skills up. I'm pretty happy with it overall.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes, B4 turnbuckles fit.

Slipper, emai to [email protected] for pricing and info. I should have pics tonight of the slipper (as long as my new camera arrives and the updated layshaft and bits.)
Old 06-08-2006, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Slipper Shaft

Hi all
I have some wear on the rear outdrives, I have ran for two meetings with a 19 turn, I have a set of front outdrives spare I got from RC-Champ, will try the fit them tonite. I would say that with the slipper will take some of the load off the rear drive.
Tamiya has a one way unit for the DF03 , photos show the slipper, and the shockshttp://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=208

Regards
Gary

Without a slipper, under acceleration the rear axle carries a majority of the load, so it takes the worst of the abuse. I do remember someone saying that the front outdrives gave the same fit and off-set as the rear, I don't particularly like the way it works on the rear but as soon as the outdrives become available I will get a set of fronts to go in the rear.

I could ask Neil@RW to make hardened and lightened outdrives, but he would only make them if he thought that they were viable to sell.

As for steering, or lack off, yes a one-way will help.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Tech Master

If you feel that the DI needs better outdrives than Tamiya provides, let me know and I will get the bits sent off to RW and have him machine a set of hardened units.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Outdrives

Hi
I think it would be better to have a better one to use, will let yo know of the front fits the rear.

Regards
Gary

If you feel that the DI needs better outdrives than Tamiya provides, let me know and I will get the bits sent off to RW and have him machine a set of hardened units.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:07 AM
Tech Master

Nice one Gary, as if I can then I will just send in the metal front ones and have them made from something much tougher.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Default Outdrives

Hi
The front ones fit the rear, wonder why Tamiya has the plastic ones in the rear?
Do you have an update when the slipper shaft will be ready

Nice one Gary, as if I can then I will just send in the metal front ones and have them made from something much tougher.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Layshafts are ready, they come pre-fixed with a hardened alloy gear and all ready to mount up some B4 slipper parts

9651 - 81tooth spur gear
9603 - slipper pad (x2)
9604 - slipper hub (x2)

Also, re: diff output wear, if there is interest, I can send a set of front outdrives to RW Racing for dimensioning, and then he can make some VERY HARD plastic outdrives with a saver ring. This will be made out of the same material as his spur gears and also for Spool gears. Wear isn't an issue with them, and be light.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Hawk6
Can someone please list the needed modifications to make this a workable 4wd buggy on a dirt track? I'm not talking graphite hop-ups, but what's NEEDED to avoid disappointment the first time out. I think that would be: slipper clutch and universals (all around or just in front?). Anything else?

Please list part numbers and sources if you can.

Thanks.
One-way. But it might be a matter of personal preference. I can just say that I won't drive it anymore until I've got it..
Old 06-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Thanks all for the replies and the help.

pUs2,
Why the one-way? To avoid some sort of damage (which is why I want the slipper), or just for handling/performance?

Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

DCM-
Have you (or anybody else) actually checked to see what is the largest 48dp spur that will fit?

I know the 78t I run just fits, it looks like an 81 might be ok but I don't think there's any way an 84 will fit - which leaves you with only 2 spur options

I think ZX-5 spurs and pads might be a better option, as they go down to a 76 (I think ) - just not sure of the hole diameter (no one wants to share that info )

RE: the rear diff. Have I missed something here? The stock diffs on the car are steel aren't they
Old 06-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

81 tooth fits, and I am sure you would be able to get 'aftermarket' B4 spur gears, plus the B4 stuff is readily available almost everywhere.

The rear diff have steel outdrives, but they sit on plastic diff ring holders, and the plastic isn't very strong so even with gluing, the diff plates end up slipping.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Default Spur Gears

Hi DA

The only spurs I have found for the B4 slipper is 78, 81 & 84.
I have not found any other gears.
Would Rw make some gears, maybe 77,79 & 80.

Regards
Gary

81 tooth fits, and I am sure you would be able to get 'aftermarket' B4 spur gears, plus the B4 stuff is readily available almost everywhere.

The rear diff have steel outdrives, but they sit on plastic diff ring holders, and the plastic isn't very strong so even with gluing, the diff plates end up slipping.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

or make a better motor plate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.