Wiki Posts
Search

OT (sort of)- Potentiometers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 11:04 PM
Tech Rookie

OT (sort of)- Potentiometers?

Hi,

I sure hope you guys don't mind me infiltrating your forum and asking you a question having to do with R/C equipment. I'm an old R/C racer from way, way back and I'm wondering if they still use standard potentiometers for steering and throttle/brake control in the transmitter... I know they were a pretty basic item back in the 80's... However, I would think that with the increased speeds the cars are capable of, that the R/C manufacturers may have dramatically improved the precision of these units by either going to an optical design or similar idea. I'm asking this of you guys because I'm into a similar hobby now which uses very basic pots for control and feel there's possibly room for improvement there.

Anyone care to enlighten me on where the technology is today?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-20-2001, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

No, no optical as yet... For the controls, they are still using the P controller... or rather the proportional-controller... For the kind of response and requirement the RC controller needs, I doubt there'll be any need for other type of controllers... Still open loop circuits... no feedback what so ever...

But the response and torque have improved some what...