Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ralf- I agree with Speedo's set up except I run a yellow spring in the rear and a little more shock oil in the front- like 30/20. One thing that you REALLY need to pay attention to on this Tossolini set up is the shock length. I'm sure Speedo just forgot to post it on his... anyway the front has to be about 62.3 and the rear about 61- 61.5. Make ABSOLUTELY sure the front springs aren't preloaded or "sprung" meaning the shock length is too short and there is no down travel. DO NOT change to the long shock ends- no time to explain the physics on that one.... cya
Old 03-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Ho, Ho, Ho...it's Christmas at my place...

Got my HV's last night, "Peak World spec" and the numbers look a bit healthier than my current 2400s(100 sec more runtime, lower I.R and .04v higher).

Drove a friends car today and it felt a bit more "Planted" than mine so I followed that up with buying some more shock oil and some of the 3 degree front castor blocks. I feel quite motivated at the moment with some good club racing as well as a fair amount of out-of-town racing on the horizon.

I chickened out of taking my GSR down the 1/4 mile yesterday.
One of my friends did (same car) and he got about 6 feet down the strip before his clutch cried ENOUGH!....was cool watching the rest of the imports racing though
Old 03-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

My setup is actually not as similar to Tosolini. I have the low roll center in the back. Shock lengths- 59.5 front and 60.0 rear. D'oh! Yeah, I also run yellow in the back...Tried white/blue today and didn't think it worked too well cause I had a helluva lot of drag brake

Speedo
Old 03-17-2002, 02:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default oil set-up

i've noticed that speedo and chris tosolini have lighter oil used!
why? my set-up on our local track which is a bumpy asphalt is 70/60 front/rear with yellow springs all around. my back is sliding sometimes but i can still drive it. would u recommend to use the rear sway bars on this. i have not seen a set-up with rear swaybars!
Old 03-17-2002, 03:17 AM
Tech Regular

i think for a bumpy track your oil is maybe too soft i would try 50 front 40 rear. as for the sway bar on the rear this would probably make the rear slide even more then it does now.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

I think ausracer means too heavy. The reason I am runing light oil is that I am using #3 pistons, and carpet tracks, including the one that I race on tend to be smooth.

Using a setup for carpet on bumpy ashfault is usually not a good idea.

Speedo
Old 03-17-2002, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

OOPS, I'm sorry, my set up posted above should have been 40/30 on shock oil for carpet... sorry.

Speedo- I know you said you use the lower roll center setting, but maybe you should try the set up like I posted. I ran at the Snowbirds (were you there?) and my car was so hooked- I turned a couple laps that were just as fast as Atomic Ron's in 19 turn. Now if I could just do that consistantly...
Old 03-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Nope, I wasn't there, a bit far away for that. Do you mean trying the high roll center in the back also? I started like that, but arrived at using high in the front and low in the back, I feel it works better that way because otherwise I have too much steering.

Speedo
Old 03-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

cant understand, how to set-up with high or low roll center?

speedo> that's your set-up for carpet? seems your suspension is too soft for the carpet!

what's the effects of running hard suspension like high oil and firm spring- on the set-up?
Old 03-17-2002, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I know it seems soft, but it really works. That is the sort of setup that Tosolini, MO and all those guys are running on carpet now.

Use a high roll center in the front and low in the back if you need to take away steering, if you need more steering, and nothing else is working, you could try high in the back and low in the front. Using high roll center all around, technically, should make the car more responsive, but I think it smooths the car out.

Speedo
Old 03-17-2002, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default Aluminum screw kit

guys,
I got a question.
I recently started doing custom anodizing work for R/c car parts and amongst the stuff I'm doing are aluminum screws.

I once bought a screw kit for my MR4 from Take Off and it cost me whoopping $58 at the time. To my knowledge, Take Off is the only company to sell colored aluminum screws for the Yokomo.

Would there be any interest in a complete alu screw set for the Yok in either red, blue or silver that would probably run less than half of the Take Off kit?

Check out my site and send me a quick e-mail if you would be interested.
Based on the response I'll se if it would be feasable.

thanks

Custom Anodizing
Old 03-18-2002, 01:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Speedo,

Many thanks for your set-up, I will try your set-up.
I usually would go with 80-100wt oil and hard spring on carpet such as Orange or Red (GT4 springs) but I will try it.

I need more details about the shock length you are using with this set-up, should I stick with the long shock ends or short one ?
What about the preload of the spring, droop of the car and ride height ?

Thanks and happy racing

Old 03-18-2002, 02:32 AM
Tech Adept

I tested Tosolinis set up but I could not get it working it was way too responsive. But here in Europe we run on much faster and flowing carpet tracks with Take off control tyres.

The setup that works best for me is the standard Masami set up but with Tosolini type rear link, orange springs front and rear with 40 oil in front and 50 rear.

The main things I have found is that :

-stiffer rear springs helps the stability of the car, much easier to drive
-stiffer rear damping also make the car more stable on high grip carpet
-softer front springs makes the turn-in smoother
-much more consistent with no droop in the front. Damper lenght 59,5mm - 59,7mm depending on ride height
-60mm rear damper lenght
Old 03-18-2002, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Ralf
I need more details about the shock length you are using with this set-up, should I stick with the long shock ends or short one ?
What about the preload of the spring, droop of the car and ride height ?
Ralf- if you look at my previous posts you will see all the information that you are asking for. I'm not saying Speedo's set up isn't as good, but the saet up I posted and that I'm running came straight from Chris Tossolini. He hung out with me for a while in Orlando and helped me fine tune the set up. The car already had the camber mods done to it- he basically helped me bypass figuring what works and the few things I didn't know about like the shock length. The reason I already had the set up done to my car is that Jason Moberly (super guy) emailed it to me a long time ago.

Moonman- I would bet money that you had the front shocks too short for the Tossolini set up becasue that's exactly how it will act when there is no down travel and the springs are preloaded. Of course, you might not have had the hing pins in the correct holes either. Hope you get it figured out- LMK if I can help.

Once again, I'm sure Speedo's set up is great, I am just sharing the info I recieved from Chris. For the record, I wasn't in the 19 turn A main, but I turned a few laps that were just as fast as Atomic Ron's (19t winner) A main laps. Considering he had a professionally tuned motor and is a much better driver than I, you can only assume my car was wicked fast.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:48 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I scanned the parts list that comes with the Special Kit and it is now up in the setup section of my web page. It is in PDF form.
www.mo-net.ws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.