Wiki Posts
Search

New Track in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcheck
u can pick up a decent used storage container for around a grand, and being that the one used is old, rusted, and feels as if u are gonna fall through it unless u walk in a specific area, i would think it was a little cheaper.as for the railling, could have been donated or found left over from a someones job.so if u want to see a "dialed" drivers stand, take a gander at ARC. the pit lane on the track side is decent, but it would be nice to not have to walk on top of wood planks and stuff so that u can get over the giant puddles and mud to get to the pit wall. the freeway mediums might have cost a little bit, but most likely were already up there and left over from the race track itself.

just my .02 dont get me wrong, i have raced up there and plan on doing so in the future, and appreciate that there is a place to do so, but there is some improvements that can be made to make it a bit nicer!
here ya go,,,,
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/for/592960256.html
my family bought a 40 footer a few years ago and it wasn't cheap, the cheapest one we could find looked like a pos, much like the blue one in the link. we spent 1900 on it and we painted it ourselves,,,
plus i would imagine they would charge extra for the hill climb they have to do with that thing to get in up to borona.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mcheck
u can pick up a decent used storage container for around a grand, and being that the one used is old, rusted, and feels as if u are gonna fall through it unless u walk in a specific area, i would think it was a little cheaper.as for the railling, could have been donated or found left over from a someones job.so if u want to see a "dialed" drivers stand, take a gander at ARC. the pit lane on the track side is decent, but it would be nice to not have to walk on top of wood planks and stuff so that u can get over the giant puddles and mud to get to the pit wall. the freeway mediums might have cost a little bit, but most likely were already up there and left over from the race track itself.

just my .02 dont get me wrong, i have raced up there and plan on doing so in the future, and appreciate that there is a place to do so, but there is some improvements that can be made to make it a bit nicer!

What's up Ya'll, There are a few of you that know me, as for the ones that don't, my name is Billy Ho and i am the owner, operator, track designer, track builder, complaint manager, shop manager, and fellow racer here at Family Hobbies Raceway.(Always wanted to say that.)

Well anyways, I just wanted to come on here cause i've been reading about all the negativity about the FHR track, aswell as the Rev'd up track. Just wanted to make a few things a lil more clear. We have only had the Barona track for about a year, and yes there are a lot of things that can be done to make our facility "a bit nicer". But to compare our track to ARC is a lil unfair. They have been around a lil longer than us, and i have witnessed their growth from inception to what Dan is doing now with the facility. I raced there every week from almost the beginning, so yes i know what i am talking about. If you would have been at our track from day one, you would know that things have gotten way better. But we in my mind are still at the grass roots level, and when we reach the amount of time that ARC has been in existence, I guarantee that our facility will be top notch.

As for the Rev'd Up negativity, any kind of a track in San Diego is a benefit for this industry. As Frank and lil Jon(DHW On-Road) will vouch for me, i was there supporting their track from the very first race, and both facilities have prospered from it.

Good luck to Nathan with this endeavor, i know first hand how hard it is to own and operate a R/C track.

See you guys at the track, or shop!
Support your LHS, cuz you can't race on E-Bay!
Thanx Billy-Ho
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
Who are you and what do you race? What kind of experance do you actually have? How long have you been in San Diego?
Let me ask you this, where did you go to school? EXPERIENCE is how its spelt. I've lived in San Diego all 25 years of my life, how about you? I have a Mugen MBX5T and MBX5R what else do you wanna know? Are you next going to ask me to meet you at the track tough guy?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

ohhhh snap,,,,,
Old 03-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nicker619
Let me ask you this, where did you go to school? EXPERIENCE is how its spelt. I've lived in San Diego all 25 years of my life, how about you? I have a Mugen MBX5T and MBX5R what else do you wanna know? Are you next going to ask me to meet you at the track tough guy?

Douche Bag
Old 03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oh, double snap Rumble in the Bronx....I mean Barona
Old 03-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got these photos from Tweb that he took when he visited the proposed location for Rev'd Up Raceway. It looks really promising to me. Tweb said there are two warehouses like these ones that are going to be used so there's a ton of room for an off-road and on-road track. Plus there's a ton of room for an on site hobby shop and would even consider putting in one of those snap together tracks for kyosho mini-z's that new comers and kids can try...maybe get some kyosho backing? Hmmmmmm i wonder if there would be room for a rock-crawling course??

Working for RCCA magazine, i know there's a strong resurgence in 1/10th scale racing, especially in 4wd electric. Its popular here in southern california too. I was at Pegasus Hobbies this past week running my Associated B4 2wd electric buggy, and my Hot Bodies D4 4wd electric buggy and they told me that their Saturday 1/10th scale racing program starts at 4pm and gets out at midnight...crazy!

Stay positive everyone! Like Billy Ho said...every track is a benefit for the industry.

Here are some photos Tweb shot of the miramar locations...

Old 03-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET....

as much as i love the smell of Paragon... traction compount for onroad racing i Highly recomend Banning it from Day one.... ( but then agin since nitro may be running .. i can smell the pudgent wintergreen already....
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
Keep your tempers under control, ladies and children. Just because you're on the internet doesn't mean you can mouth off. San Diego is a small place...

Well my first concern is, keep 1/8 and 1/10 separate or I'll never show up. I don't need my $1000 car smashed by some 1/8 pos from hobby people driven by some kid who has never driven anything but a radioshack car before last Christmas and should be at home playing W.O.W. instead

Gas vehicles will drive away electric guys to some degree, especially if they run on the same night. If they run on the same night, I won't ever come and neither will my father. I don't want to be in a building with a bunch of cars that sound like a honda civic.

Keep 1/10 and 1/8 separate because I know how well you 1/8 guys drive, INCLUDING practice times.

Better to just keep gas and electric separate. Electric guys are electric because they like clean, quiet, high performance cars. Gas is just the exact opposite of that and real electric guys don't want to be stuck in a building with gas, much less on a track with them during practice time.

As a random idea, an astroturf offroad track would keep dust down, traction wouldn't be an issue, no watering, the track wouldn't get rutted up (although I don't know what an 8th buggy would do to turf). Europe just loves astroturf, and they're better and faster drivers than any americans, because on astroturf the car does what you tell it.

As a bit of a late point, but still one that I feel is valid:

We already have Barona for offroad. We need a real onroad place. FHR's parking lot is nice, but you can't do pan cars and surface is, a parking lot. I'm perfectly happy with it for touring cars, but in all honesty what I want is a banked oval and a 1/12 road course. Now if there was something like the asphalt banked oval/roadcourse setup that Discount had way back in the day (Magilla remembers), that would be awesome. My father and I would be down there with our Agitators in a heartbeat. And if a 1/12 class showed up, I'd get one of those too. A banked carpet oval/roadcourse would be cool, but then you couldn't have dirt offroad.

If there is carpet in the future, a giant wall between the 2 tracks would keep almost all the dust in the offroad side. Simple idea, giant undertaking though...

As long as gas and electric aren't ran on the same night, practice time kept separate as well, and there's a 4wd class, I'll most likely be there. pretty simple. (ROAR insurance? ridiculous. use your eyes and you won't get hit...)

Goodluck, RevDupraceway. San Diego is a tough place. Too many empty heads here.

Oh, and remember, if you don't agree, Just ignore me. It's that simple. Or go to your mother and keep it off the forums because it makes you look like a baby and it's ridiculous, especially when some people on here get so worked up that they say some really harsh things that may cause them to get tracked down by the person they flamed. Who was that guy on the FHR thread about 1.5/2years ago that EVERYONE used to fight with that always told me to meet him at the track in National City and then would never show up? I forget....
Now if there was something like the asphalt banked oval/roadcourse setup that Discount had way back in the day (Magilla remembers), that would be awesome.............
no shiz... way awesome. ill have to break out my agitator i got from kenny prue back in the day..
Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
Douche Bag
For real.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

thats not very nice he is just a noob that dosent know anything
Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have not read the whole thread yet but from a selfish standpoint i am glad to see it heading toward electric. There are some new ideas that might save on road like the Pro 10 idea and as far as off road It is definately on the way up with brussless and lipo. I dont think it will be long until a lot of the guys who got into the hobby with gas cars will realize how much work it is. I out because i got tired of asking people i dont really know to help me with pitting. Now i can charge my Lipos the night before and run for almost 60 minutes without even taking a charger to the track and concentrate on set up and learning to drive again.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RCTEN.
here ya go,,,,
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/for/592960256.html
my family bought a 40 footer a few years ago and it wasn't cheap, the cheapest one we could find looked like a pos, much like the blue one in the link. we spent 1900 on it and we painted it ourselves,,,
plus i would imagine they would charge extra for the hill climb they have to do with that thing to get in up to borona.
1900, sorry to hear u didnt shop around...as a matter of fact, i used to know the owner of the track before they sold it and there was alot of containers already up there, for all we know they could have gotten one of those. regardless, they have something that will work for the time being. hopefully it will improve over the long run.

as for comparing ur track to arc billy, thats like trying to compare apples and oranges, i was merrily pointing out what a dialed drivers stand can be like....hopefully urs will get there over time.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

if you think the driver stand at barona isnt dialed then maby next time you could just stand on the ground then how dialed would it be
Old 03-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by otter pop
if you think the driver stand at barona isnt dialed then maby next time you could just stand on the ground then how dialed would it be
do u think about the stuff u say before u say it? like i said before, it works for the time being but can be nicer. as for standing on the ground, there is other ways to drive from elevated, the hill next to the drivers stand would work or stand in the back of the truck......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.