Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am Torn...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I also wanted to throw my opinion in here. I own a CEN matrix buggy and truggy, and I love them. Super durable, great handling, and no where near as expensive as other brands. I got by truggy for $450 a long time ago, but now they are going for less than $400. You can also find deals on CEN's website, or from Gene Hickerson, for $350. Compare that to $600 buggies. You can also find the buggies for under $300 now. CEN is trying to clear they're stock of the earlier buggies. The new buggy isn't going to cost much more.
There were some issues with the truggy when it first came out, and most, if not all, are resolved now. The buggy never had any issues that I'm aware of.
Like NeoNot stated, CEN is coming out with a new buggy and truggy soon. the buggy is about to be shipping, and some people already pre-ordered. It is a very nice buggy too. And supposedly only going to weigh 7 LBS RTR. Looking at Andy's buggy a while ago at the pro series, I'd say that's true. Everything is lightened and improved. I can't wait to see the final product, and get a upgrade kit.
All the other brands you mentioned are superb. The AE buggy is also very nice and nimble, but from what I saw, breaks very easily. The X ray 808 is also a very nice buggy. Super high quality and innovative. And of course Losi, very popular if you're into that, which I'm not, and fast in the right hands. But it sacrifices durablity and parts wear for performance.
Once again, good luck!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well seeing as how were all throwing our $.02 cents in heres mine.

ALL of the cars that you are looking at are quite nice and and anyone would be a great ride.

I drive the losi 8 and of course I am happy with it. My suggestion is a 8 1.0 as the late models are doing just fine and still kicking butt on a regular. Those latest and greatest guys forgot to purchase one thing and that was skills. The 1.0, 777WC, MBX5R would all be great choices and able to compete with anything out. Save yourself a wad of money buy a late model and spend a season relearning and getting your reflexes back. That will get you alot of track time cheap. A season to check out all of the latest and greatest. Watch other people work through the problems that every latest and greatest has. Then you can trade upgrade to a newer model with less initial hassle as the got to have it nows are experiencing. The best car is the one that you aquire pocket friendly have loads of fun and still be very competive with. A couple of weekends ago I watched a guy wheel his 777WC and kick HB, MP9 and MBX6s and everyone else for that matter butts all day long its not the car its the driver. I have been watching plenty of late models kick butt lately and no need to rush out and get a new new ride. Lots of great deals on rides take advantage save yourself money and make a better informed descision on a new new ride next season you will be better off for it.

p.s. I love those Go's and I'm an RB man. They are quality engines for cheap and last well. check the Sig.

Good Luck
Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Im kinda surprised no one added anything about the O'Donnel Z08-B and Z08-T that looks like a good buggy anyone have any exp with those?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Euro-- Where in Florida do you live, if we are in the same general area or at the same race I will more then happy to let you wheel my D8. Car is super fast and very stable. Nimble like that of the 8ight and the RC8 but has built stability of a Mugen and a Kyosho.

Let me know what you end up running as I have alot of friends in Central/South Florida that I can call on to help you.

Jump into buggy first, granted it is somewhat, not much tho, harder to drive. There is always a great turnout in buggy class regardless of where you race. Also being decent to good with a buggy with make you pretty good to fast with a truggy.

Also on the DX3r radio, superb product. Light, easy to navigate, as well as being ergonomically correct.

Servo recommendation for buggy is JR 9100s. [email protected] Super fast as well as strong, great warranty and phenonmenal customer service.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I live in leesburg, and I will be at the Avon Park race tomorrow. I am weary about wheeling someone else vehicle, because it isn't mine, and Im afraid to break stuff.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Leesburg I used to work in leesburg I live in Clermont. Where are the tracks and good hobby shops around here. Im a noob looking to by my first buggy kit.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

tracks are all over florida, ocala has a good track, daytona also, a bunch in the tampa st pete area. hobbie stores I always go to Superior Hobbies in Cassleberry.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have spent a fair amount of time with the 8ight and RC8.

I'll start with the RC8. While I don't personally own one, one of my best friends does and I've driven it almost as much as I've driven my 8ight. Out of the box the RC8 handles very well. It has the most steering of any buggy. Literally, the wheels almost turn sideways. It doesn't seem to like the rough stuff as much as the 8ight does. It's not nearly as durable as the 8ight. Mind you, this is probably only in regards to rookie drivers that make lots of mistakes. So.. yea, the RC8 is a fine racing machine and very fast without setup changes. But not for the rookie.

On to the 8ight. As has been stated before the 8ight (1.0) is very nimble to the point of being twitchy. This can be very rewarding in the hands of a smooth driver. Compared to the RC8 or other 1/8 scales, the 8ight takes some getting used to. Once you do get used to it your treated to better response and faster left - right transitions. Because while the RC8 has a bit more steering over all, the 8ight reacts much faster. I was amazed the first time I ran one through a chicane.

Durability with the 8ight is a non-issue. I ran pretty hard this past year, 14ish gallons since April. and I broke 3 parts. A spindle, a rear hinge-pin cover and a wing mount. As far as wear and tear I honestly haven't replaced anything on the car. Sure there's slop but it doesn't effect driving performance.

One last thing. One of the locals I race with is sponsored by Cen. He races a lot in the PNW and does pretty well. But toward the end of the season he started to get frustrated and it showed in his driving. One day I asked him what his deal was... Basically he felt that he wasn't as fast as he could be due to the Cen. Said it wasn't a competitive buggy. Now I'm not trying to bash, just though I'd share that.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you for that response, I think after doing some extensive research and what have you I have decided for my first year I am going to run buggy only. I have always liked buggy, but truggy seemed to be something I would enjoy more, today at work(I work at a skating rink so this is a weird coincidence) i ran into a couple of old friends that are running D8's. Out back we have dirt mounds and what not for plans in the future of adding additional parking, and one of them had their gear on them. Got to wheel the buggy around for about 15 minutes, and it was a pure blast. Nimble, responsive, doesn't seem to push to bad (non prepped area), seemed tot urn well off power, and I love the price (can't beat it in my eyes.) Tomorrow when I go to the Pro Series finals in FL, I am mainly going to be looking at the D8 and the SX8 by TQ Racing, both have really nice parts followings around me, and seem to be relatively cheap for replacements and upgrades.

I have also read alot on here, and other places and the D8 right now seems to be the choice/winner for me.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The D8 ARMY wont let you down ....
Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

I have faith plus it helps when I know of locals/ old friends already with them.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Euro Stealth
Wow where to begin.

First of all, thank you everyone for the extensive reports/ responses to help me out with this tough time. I believe I am looking strongly at the Associated line this weekend. I have always liked AE, and it seems to be they still are top notch. After this weekend I am going to watch those guys that are racing the 2 classes, and make my decision from there. My big thing is I want to have fun, and I cant choose between teh two to jump into, but at the same time, I am turning to offroad for a more relaxed environment. I am done wrenching all day in between rounds to chase a setup that will go with the ever changing track conditions that Onroad gives to us.
Boy are you in for a shock. I'm pretty sure onroad track conditions don't change as rapidly or as drastically as offroad. I've never raced onroad, but at least you don't have to worry about ruts, bumps, blown out jumps, holes, moisture content of the surface, how much dust or loose dirt is on the track, etc.

I am young at 24, but I like to have a good time, throw parts in the trailor when I get angry(tell me one person who doesn't love to do this, and ill tell you he/she lies), drink my MT. DEW (cheap plug I NEED SPONSORS! >.>), and just have a great time with a bunch of people that share my common interest.

If I go there this weekend and realize running two classes right out of the gates is going to be to time consuming, then I will be with the toiugh choice of buggy or truggy. Probably leaning more towards truggy, but never know.

Thank you again everybody,
Brandon
Truggy is easier to drive, more forgiving, and more sluggish and lazy. Buggy you are "traction challenged" the entire time. Try driving both and see what you like. I went to truggy because it is easier... and to help space out our pit and marshalling times since I go with a group of racers.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you are looking for something cost effective take a look at caster. Great buggy and truggy.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Boy are you in for a shock. I'm pretty sure onroad track conditions don't change as rapidly or as drastically as offroad. I've never raced onroad, but at least you don't have to worry about ruts, bumps, blown out jumps, holes, moisture content of the surface, how much dust or loose dirt is on the track, etc.
Domit, you wouldn't believe what goes into fuel on-road. Tires alone will eat you alive. You have to have multiple shore ratings, 'cause you have to test and figure out wear so you get fronts and rears that wear equally so your over/under drive doesn't change. But then the track temps change and you need different ratings to get traction, so you have to figure that in too. And you have to throw in tweak, and droop, and rollout ratios, and all kinds of fun things. Have you ever used a tire lathe to cut on off-road tire? I've done both and I quit on-road 'cause I was tired of having a headache everytime I raced, LOL.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Yea with on-road, all you do all day is chase setups, and the track. The track gets 2 degrees cooler and you have the potential of a bad setup that worked 2 degrees ago. Just to much of a headache for me. Plus like mentioned before about the tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.