Wiki Posts
Search

V-spec ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? V-spec ?

Hey all, I need some help with my v-spec. After about a gallon and a half all the local hot shoes have advised me to switch out my bearing to ceramics (I chose the TKO Bearings). I did as was advised take apart, heat in oven for about 15 min. at 250 degrees and soft hammer out. To no avail, they the one nearest the flywheel end will not budge and I am giving it a lot of grunt. Any help you guys can send would be great. Thanks
Old 05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i just changed mine out on wednesday.disassemble the engine,crank,p/s,carb all come off.then all i did was put my ceramic in the freezer for about an hour,put the case on a griddle set at 300*,let it set there for about 5 minutes,then used a scredriver and very lightly tapped it with a small hammer and the front bearing fell right out. then heated case for a few minutes more and the cold bearing slid in with little effort..
Old 05-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geoman
Hey all, I need some help with my v-spec. After about a gallon and a half all the local hot shoes have advised me to switch out my bearing to ceramics (I chose the TKO Bearings). I did as was advised take apart, heat in oven for about 15 min. at 250 degrees and soft hammer out. To no avail, they the one nearest the flywheel end will not budge and I am giving it a lot of grunt. Any help you guys can send would be great. Thanks

if you are removing the old bearings...Just SMASH em out...well not literally...but if there old bearings who cares about em....i use a large Punch that fits the I.D. of the bearings and give it a WHACK with a wrench or w/e with some weight to it......if ur inserting new bearings....make sure they are COLD COLD....and the motor is Hott hott...and it should just Slide in like butter.....i have a couple spare cranks i put the bearings on and let sit in the freezer for a bit.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

You probably just didnt get it hot enough. Use a hot plate and heat it up so the block is warm to the touch, I used hot mits to handle the block once warm, gave it a tap and it fell right out. While your heating it throw the new bearing in the freezer.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Depending , on your budget, this works very well and pulls and installs bearings in any motor that you may buy. I use it because I have 4 motors that see alot of use .I know its some $$$$ but use the right tool for the job http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3528
Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies (love this forum). Will make sure to try these out. Never thought of just setting it on the griddle, not to mention didn't even think of cooling the new bearings before inset.
Thanks again!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use the oven method, and it works great. Pre heat the oven to 400 deg. I place the crankcase on a cookie sheet, and put in oven for about 10 minutes.

While it is baking, I have the bearings in the freezer. After 10 minutes, have the bearings out and ready to go. Tap the case on a piece of wood. The rear bearing falls right out. The front bearing may fall right out also, if not, a very slight tap from the inside will pop that bearing out. While still warm, put the front bearing in. Set it on the piece of wood, with back of the engine facing up. Drop in the rear bearing. I use a deep socket, about the same diameter as the bearing (a little smaller. ya dont want this to get stuck in the case when it cools) to push it flush into it seating area, and let it sit there, while the case cools. Once cool, its done. The whole process takes about 20-30 minutes, including preheating the oven.

Im sure there are other methods, but this has worked for me.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i just take a heat gun for 5-10 sec and they just fall out most of the time
Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Geoman...if I can help please call. 704-562-3535
Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys thanks again for the help.

Threw the casing on the griddle at 450 for ten minutes and then tapped out the smaller bearing, placed it back on for another 5 minutes and then tapped the larger one out. All the while the replacements were in the freezer. This worked great and I can't thank you guys enough.

By the way thanks for the number Peter, if I have any problems I'll give you a call.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

On my V-Spec...I also put in TKO ceramic bearings. But, to heat the motor, I just used a torch then tapped out the front and rear bearings. Then to put in the new ones, I just froze the bearings overnight, and then stuck them in without heating the crankcase. Is this a good method or will it effect performance or durability of the parts??
Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What bearings should I run in a Vspec? And what brand.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dave.H
What bearings should I run in a Vspec? And what brand.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/24839
Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by geoman
Look at:
http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...ncept%20engine
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Powerlink
Depending , on your budget, this works very well and pulls and installs bearings in any motor that you may buy. I use it because I have 4 motors that see alot of use .I know its some $$$$ but use the right tool for the job http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3528
My LHS use this and it takes him like 1 second to pull it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.