Cleaning Air Filters?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning Air Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Integra
that is Obsurd....it would cost u a fortune to be replacing filter's at the rate they get dirty....Why would u even say that ?...as i kno 99% of us reuse ours....i dunno if u think ur cool cuz u throw $$ away like that...but w/e floats ur boat i guess.
I throw mine away, they are cheaper than a new mill.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Tech Regular

It's each to their own i guess if you wash or replace but i personally just throw mine in the washing machine. The washing powder gets the oil out nicely and they come out like new and they smell fresh too!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I use whatever I have on hand to clean them. I have about 24 for two cars and will put new oiled ones on every heat and main. About once a month I will clean them all and start the cycle over again. I like the QRC quick dry contact cleaner I get from the auto parts store as I usually have plenty of that around. I have used the K&N cleaner and it works well and just recently went with some of the Fluidz cleaner. It too works well, though I found some other stuff from the MX shop in town that is just as good.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

who every throw's out a Purfectly good air filter for the fact its dirty imo is an Ideot...cheeeper then a new engin....Psh...w/e man.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

You have to be careful with some of the contact cleaners and other really agressive things. It may actually damage the foam and that isn't any good. I also buy some BelRay oil while I'm at the cycle shop. It's the same as the AE and most other filter oils but it is much cheaper to get a quart instead of 2 ounces.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swen
You have to be careful with some of the contact cleaners and other really agressive things. It may actually damage the foam and that isn't any good. I also buy some BelRay oil while I'm at the cycle shop. It's the same as the AE and most other filter oils but it is much cheaper to get a quart instead of 2 ounces.

X2.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Integra
who every throw's out a Purfectly good air filter for the fact its dirty imo is an Ideot...cheeeper then a new engin....Psh...w/e man.
Its 4 dollars Australian for a new filter, and u call us an idiot... wash them if u like but I don't think your an idiot for doing it, (I think worse of u for calling us one though) I just chose to throw them. I race once a fortnight so I pay 4 bucks a month and i change them every other race meeting, and yes each to there own.

Settle pettle, at the end of the day you are racing a toy car!!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Swen
Contact cleaner is an expensive option to clean a 4 dollar filter...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Loop&Roll
Contact cleaner is an expensive option to clean a 4 dollar filter...

Right, that's another good reason not to use it.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

With a used air-filter, one can never be sure if they have removed all the dirt and dust from the foam. Also, when your cleaning your filter with water, soap and your fingers, your slowly breaking down the foam. It wont cause a catastrophic engine failure using a used filter, however it may decrease engine life slightly. Foams are cheap and I consider them to be part of the cost of maintaining my machine. Its $1.75 per Losi filter. I have 4 bags of Losi filters....call me anal. Having no LHS causes one to buy in excess. Most engine manufacturers recommend changing or washing the filter after every hour of use, and for me thats a day of racing, so at the end of the day I replace the foam. However, if its a particularly dusty or muddy track, I may replace it before the main. I also use an Outerwears pre filter just to be safe.

Integra, calling someone an "Ideot" over such a trivial matter is uncalled for.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default .....

i re-use mine about five times, i use the outer filters about 5 times also. if you wash your filters in warm water douce the inner in dish soap, soak it and just squeez it and roll it in your hand then rinse it out throughly... itll be as clean as new twist it up in a paper towel and your good to go ive put a new and used one under a microscope and seen that they are still identical i also use the underground rc pre-filters best in the industry by far you can order them from undergroundrc.com
Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default .......

oops forgot to add that i aslo use the powersaver racing airfilters and these also are the best in the industry well RB filters do come close
Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wash and re-use, but if they are real dirty I just throw them away.

I don't see why you can be really frugal and try to save $1 every race day. When you run $300+ engines another dollar on top of your entry fee isn't really alot... not in this hobby.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The QRC contact cleaner I use works on just about anything without damage thus far. It helps that I get it on a good deal from a guy I know here in town, otherwise it is really expensive. After 3 to 5 cleanings I will toss them as by then I have funds set aside just for that so I can stock up. I have some of that BelRay oil and one quart goes alot further than the Associated oil does.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by busta774
I just did my first offroad 1/8th bugggy race the other day im just wondering how can i clean my air filter and my air filter sock thing? they are full of dust and dirt

Here is what i do.
After about 5-6 tanks i take out the whole airfilter,Wash it with soap and water really good,Dry it out all the way,Grab a sandwhich bag,Put airfilter in there and put some drops of airfilter oil in the bag,Close bag and move the airfilters around til they got airfilter oil on them and take out and put back on.

But i recomend you throw out some airfilters and get new ones if they are really dirty.

Also kinda looks like your new to the nitro engines,After each run of your model put 3-4 drops of after run oil in the carb and put airfilter back on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.