Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD/PA/DE racers, where to race??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default MD/PA/DE racers, where to race??

Ok, I live about 40 minute northeast of Baltimore in Bel Air,Md. I am 20 minutes south of the PA line and about 45 minutes south of the DE border. Where is there to race electric, indoor or out, dirt and onroad?? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdoffroad
Ok, I live about 40 minute northeast of Baltimore in Bel Air,Md. I am 20 minutes south of the PA line and about 45 minutes south of the DE border. Where is there to race electric, indoor or out, dirt and onroad?? Thanks!
Blue Diamond is a excellent outdoor racing facility for both on and off road. check it out. Visit the tread in the Racing Forum and you will see some pics of some of the actual racing events.
go to: http://bluediamondpark.com/ and check the Action Sports Tab at the top of the page and follow the R/C racing link and you will get all the info for the track.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You have a choice of several tracks, all within 2 hours each way:

Mushroom Bowl Speedway - Kennett Square, PA - www.mushroombowl.com - asphalt on-road & oval, carpet (micro, 1:12, oval - no TC )

Hobbytown Frederick (aka the Coliseum) - Frederick, MD - http://www.htufrederickmd.com/ - indoor asphalt (quite possibly the BEST asphalt track in the country )

The Track (aka Mimi's) - Gaithersburg, MD - http://www.rctrack.com/ - carpet

Jackson RC - Jackson, NJ - http://www.jacksonrcracing.com/ - asphalt road

Bumps & Jumps - Etters, PA - http://www.bumpsandjumpsrc.com/ - indoor offroad & dirt oval

Extreme RC Hobbies - Quarryville, PA - http://www.xtremerchobby.com/ - offroad

The above tracks are more electric friendly than some of the other tracks that cater to gas in the tri-state area.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

McCulloughs Offroad indoor and outdoor just north of Pittsburgh
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hey! You are only about 25 mins away from me. I live just up the road in North East/Rising Sun. Lilke the others said Mushroom bowl, Xtreme RC and blue diamond are the three around here that i know. All of them are a good drive though.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

The hobbyshop in Bel Air, HobbyWorks I think it is.. the guy Kevin there, has been racing as long as I have (close to 2 decades here) and says they are hoping to get a race going next year as Bel Air Plaza has room and a GREAT newly paved lot for it. I also found the host the Tamiya Championship at one of the other stores..
Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Is that the one that is a few miles down the road from the mall?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

yep, back where years ago, Hi-Gear auto was
Old 10-21-2007, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

Family Hobbies Raceway www.familyhobbiesraceway.com
Checkerboard Raceway www.sixfoottiger.com (Turkey Race on the 18th of Nov.)
acourse Blue diamond
Those are the tracks i raced at

But from what i have been reading on trinitytechtalk.com (google it first i dont know the exact name) has alot of tracks in the MD area...
Old 10-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We need an indoor carpet in Lancaster, Pa. we have nothing that is more than an hour away We have several hobby stores within reach, but zero on road support, although they do sell on road products.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtherbe
We need an indoor carpet in Lancaster, Pa. we have nothing that is more than an hour away We have several hobby stores within reach, but zero on road support, although they do sell on road products.
Agreed! Luckily the 'Bowl is only 30-40 minutes away from me. All other tracks have closed or carry no on road support at all.

There use to be a small flee market in Downingtown, Pa. It was a hobby shop and had a small on road/oval track but I can't recall the name. My father use to go in there for his airplane parts and it always amazed me when I walked in there. (I was only 4-6yrs old then!) The track closed in the early 90's I believe. (The fleemarket was dozered and a grocery store and a Home Depot took its spot.) (*Right across from Wegmans is where I'm talking about.) It moved into Thorndale/Exton area across from the FORD dealer (Brian Hoskins) and then closed for good. I believe the parts and supplies went over to Frazer across from the Frazer Bowling Lanes. I'm not sure if the shop is still there or not guess I'll have to swing in there one day to see if it exists still.

*Does anyone recall the tracks name that was in Downingtown? I always wondered about it..
Old 10-28-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have heard of the Farmers market race track, but that is before I moved out here...I do shop at the one in Frazer Blue Sky Hobbies, mostly aircraft which is my primary hobby ,but he still has shelves of car stuff and will gladley order what you need, he's a nice guy, has another store in Delaware.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default I want to RACE! In MD!!

The hobbyshop in Bel Air, HobbyWorks I think it is.. the guy Kevin there, has been racing as long as I have (close to 2 decades here) and says they are hoping to get a race going next year as Bel Air Plaza has room and a GREAT newly paved lot for it. I also found the host the Tamiya Championship at one of the other stores..
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to get racing with my Tamiya for over a year now- I have a TB-02. I'd like to get started in racing. A long time ago (maybe 10 years or so ago?) Hobbyworks in Rockville (or is it Gaithersburg?) used to really try to get people into Tamiya racing with stock "silver can" motor- any Tamiya 1/10 sedan kit, as long as it had the stock motor. Is this what is now known as Spec racing? Or is this GT-2?

Either way, I really, REALLY want to get out there and race! I'm in Odenton, MD, and I find it a bear to get out to "the Track", which is closer then the 1 hour drive to Frederick for me..

There has got to be something closer then that- we've got at least 3 pretty big hobby shops around here- GPA hobbies in Crofton, Hobbyworks in Laurel, and Hobbytown USA in Glen Burnie. I'm not sure if Doug's hobbies is still around- anyone know? My guess is, if an organized race was available local, and flyers were put out to these stores advertising the racing, we'd have no problem getting enough racers- newbie and experienced. Hobby shops may even like it as it would be promoting things you can buy in their stores.

If something will start up near here, I'm all for it- and I'd like to help out any way I can. If not, anyone around here want to try to put something together? Anyone know of a local parking lot with nice smooth asphalt? Maybe bring back this "silver can" Tamiya racing thing if it doesn't already exist.

Jason